Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   X-Type ( X400 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/)
-   -   "gearbox failure" (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/%22gearbox-failure%22-2522/)

joey_koblasz 09-08-2007 09:57 AM

"gearbox failure"

I was headed to Atlanta last night and had a bit of a scare on the highway. All of the sudden the engine lost power and my dash indicated "Engine Fault, Gearbox Failure". I swerved into the pull-off lane and the transmission felt funny as I came to a stop, like it was downshifting early. If figured I blew something major in the transmission. I checked under the hood and car for any leaking trans fluid and saw nothing. I got back in the car and started it up and the indicator light was off. I put it in drive and everything seemed fine. I turned around and drove 100 miles back home with no problems. Anyone got any ideas what kind of evil spirits are in my transmission. I'm thinking maybe a loose sensor or damaged wire harness.

[/align]

ArdenX 09-08-2007 10:06 AM

RE: "gearbox failure"

This happened to me in an old auto X-Type. Turned out to be a big problem and they ended up replacing the entire transmission under warranty after only one flash of the Gearbox Fault light. Get it checked out ASAP.

joey_koblasz 09-08-2007 12:15 PM

Any idea why the trans needed replacing

ArdenX 09-08-2007 04:45 PM

They replaced because the Gearbox Fault light was triggered. I don't know exactly what triggered the light. My VIN was flagged by Jaguar so they gave me a replacement transmission. When I brought in the car I didn't think that the simple light was a big deal as it had shut back off but apparently there were some serious problems worthy of a replacement transmission.

joey_koblasz 09-08-2007 05:40 PM

Thanks for the info ArdenX. I've spent all day inspecting the trans and it turns out mine has been remanufactured by Jatco (I found a sticker on top of the trans). It also looks like the harness running to the trans has been messed with because there's electrical tape holding it together. I guess this is bad news for me.

JimC64 09-09-2007 05:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 196570

Hey Joey, take Arden's advice and get it to the dealer to check ASAP.........Is it under warranty?

Jim

joey_koblasz 09-09-2007 07:57 PM

Jim, it's not under warranty and my wife is already pissed that I spent so much on this car. I ran my OBDII code reader and nothing came up. Can the dealer's computer tell exactly why the indicator light was triggered.

Cadillac 09-10-2007 03:31 AM

They do use Tech II device and it should exactly tell about your tranny culprit .However if it's an intermittent problem it is one of the hardest things to diagnose .
Hope things will be ok

SpartanX 09-10-2007 07:22 AM

Man Auto X-Type Trannies are a problematic unit. I remember reading up on the X before I bought it and I told my fiance she'll have to learn how to drive the 5MT because I wasn't buying the auto with all the horror stories I've read online.

Hope everything is fine with your car. I've had to get a tranny for a car before. NOT FUN at all.

hankycbr 09-11-2007 08:00 PM

I had a similar problem the other day. my jag went into limp mode and I could barely get to the side of the road. My accelerator pedal had no effect. gearbox failure, engine failure, dsc failure, kept flashing in sequence. I tried several times turning off the engine and starting again. My power finally came back but the check engine light was lit and happened once more on the way to the shop. Believe Me, i was thinking the worst after reading some of the horror stories on this forum. I obviously don't have a warranty. My mechanic ran the codes and found out that the air sensor by the air filter was faulty. He replaced the sensor today and no problems so far after 60 miles. I still have my fingers crossed. Anyone else have a similar problem?
I hope this helps!

santi210 09-21-2007 03:23 PM

Had a similar issue with my 02 x type. the check engine light came on "gearbox fault" Get it checked out immediatly. My car is not under warranty and its gonna cost me $5K out of porket to replace it. The tranny could also affect the transfer case as well. get it checked asap to see if they can rebuild it if needed cause if not its a new one for u.