X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 x trip and milage calculater

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 12:21 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 02 x trip and milage calculater

My a/b and reset buttons do nothing anymore the push switch on the blinker does nothing also. The only button that works is the km to miles button. It just stopped working, nothing was touched, I like to know my fuel milage and trip distance, this is a great loss to me...lol

HELP

Old 07-22-2013, 04:32 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

louvit, well, how good are you with a multimeter? But, odds are, you are suffering from someone that was a little rough with the buttons at some point. If the KM/Miles button is still working, then that confirms that the wiring between the button panel and the instrument cluster is good, therefore, that confirms that the buttons are done for. The only fix for that is to replace the button assembly.

As for the turn signal stalk, this is going to be a bit more involved. First, you will need to access the inside of the steering column (few screws, remove the bottom half of the steering column cover). Now, if you look there should be a plug that goes into the turn signal stalk. It will be a 10 pin plug. You are interested in pins 10 (black wire) and 7 (brown wire). What you want to do is to get a piece of solid wire (22 gauge is more than enough) and strip back about 1/2" on each end. Now, hold one end to a piece of exposed bare metal and then touch the other end to the black wire (anywhere that you see exposed copper) as you have the instrument cluster powered up. Did the display change state? If yes, then that confirms the instrument cluster and the wiring to the turn signal stalk is good. If it didn't change, then I would hand over hand the wiring leading up to the instrument cluster, but if you don't find any issues, you are most likely looking at a bad instrument cluster (you would be the first to suffer from a problem like this to the best of my knowledge).

If the first check caused the instrument cluster to change state, what you want to do is to pull out the multimeter and set it to "VDC" and then hold the red lead to the black wire and the black lead to the brown wire. You should get some voltage (actual voltage is not of any importance unless it is 0.000 VDC). Now, as you press the button, does the multimeter drop to 0.000 (or something very close) VDC or does it remain unchanged? Unchanged, then you have a bad turn signal stalk. If it does change, then you need to move the red lead over to the bare metal spot that you used with the jumper wire. If you get the same voltage (but now negative), then you have a bad ground wire between the plug at the steering column and chassis ground (located on the right hand side of the dash, next to the radio on a support beam that is right there). You will need to most likely run a new wire to repair this failed ground wire.

If you need more, help, let me know and I will see what I can do. I know not everyone is heavy into electrical. So, if I have gone beyond what you are capable of, let me know. I will see if I can come up with something else to get the results you need.

The following users liked this post:
louvit (07-23-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 08:09 AM

great response!!!!!!
do you think maybe if I just get new buttons that that may make the blinker button work? hard to think both broke at the same time.
I will pull the buttons out and see if they were hurt or got wet from cleaning etc....

again thanks!!!

Old 07-23-2013, 11:17 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

louvit, if you did a good cleaning of the interior, it is possible you got some fluid inside the switches and that is what is causing them to act up. You can try some compressed air (can like what you use to clean a keyboard). That may push the fluid out and make the buttons work again. But, all it would take is someone getting into the car in a rush and using their knee to take out both. I know I periodically catch my knee on the dash. Fortunately for me, I catch it away from the headlight switch.

You can try getting new buttons, but to the best of my knowledge, the buttons are sold as part of an assembly which has the whole headlight switch assembly. See what you can find and go from there.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:17 PM

best way to remove the switches???? do they pop put wit hthe headlight portion?

Old 07-24-2013, 11:59 AM

removal.....1 -Remove the main knob. It is held on by a clip at the center shaft. I had to set switch to fog lights and then it pulled ot to get to the clip.Release theclip by pressing on it through the access hole. The access hole is located atabout 6:30 assuming the pointer is 12:00. I used the short end of a 7/64 inch allenwrench.
2 – Remove the cover plate. Pryand prod. Use your head. There will be small bits of broken plastic,but it willall reassemble fine, if you used your head!
3 – Release the spring loaded latch located a bit left of center top.There are two lesser latches on both sides near the bottom. I didn’t do it, butin hindsight, a thin piece of metal might help release those latches.