X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02/x type/ rear speed sensor replacement

Old 10-26-2011, 08:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02/x type/ rear speed sensor replacement

Hi everyone I'm new to your site! I have a 2002 x type with the abs, no cruise,and tracktion control lights on in the car. Had it checked at autozone, the code said I needed a rear speed sensor. Took it out cleaned it, didn't fix the problem. I would like to replace the speed sensor. I looked at it and the sensor goes up ito the frame/unibody and I have no idea where it goes from there. Can someone tell me where it goes and where it plugs into? Is it maybe under the seat? S.O.S??? help!

Old 10-27-2011, 10:36 PM

Come on, who is the smartest guy on this sight??? Where is he? I know someone has to know where this speed sensor goes??? The snow is starting to fall here and i need my traction control back! Help!

Old 10-28-2011, 06:24 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The connector is under the back seat. There are two clips that hold the seat down. Just grab the front edge of the seat and pull up and it will release.

When you take the sensor out look into the hole where the sensor goes and see if the metal tone ring that the sensor reads is still in place. If it is in place make sure it's not broken.

The rings tend to rust and come off the halfshaft which will give you the same fault codes.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:31 PM

I knew there was a genius in the room! Thank You so much I'll check it out. I think the ring looks good in there but i'll check it again just to make sure.

Old 07-14-2019, 02:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by donb
I knew there was a genius in the room! Thank You so much I'll check it out. I think the ring looks good in there but i'll check it again just to make sure.
Also, the CV joint where the ring is attached can rust as well (as mine did) and the rust expands and forces the ring to expand in diameter, which essentially causes it to eventually come into contact with the sensor. You'll need to replace the ring (can be found online for $10) and the sensor probably ($20 online). Remove the CV axle, clean it up with a wire wheel where the ring goes, JB Weld it in place, reinstall CV axle (get a new axle nut and reuse the retention circlip unless you can find a new one, I couldn't). I added gear oil while it was easy to add also. When you readjust the circlip, don't expand it too much or you'll have a real fight trying to get it in, just make it slightly larger than the splined area, about 1 inch in diameter. Once done, test drive after you've cleared the C-code for the ABS, and engine code if you have one showing. If you don't get the ABS light again when youre automatic shifts into second gear, then you've fixed the problem. Congrats, you did a $1500 job for about $30 in parts and a few hours time with hand tools and a hammer. Yes, a hammer. Lol, I needed it to get the outer CV joint splines out. Next up....replace the flex pipe. Think I will just get the complete Jaguar exhaust pipe including the resonator on this job, not fooling around with welding in universal flex pipe when the factory bolts it on up front. Wish me luck, 😉🤣

Last edited by rocket11; 07-14-2019 at 02:32 PM.