Sponsored by:

04 Jag X type suddenly wont start

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 06:45 PM
XYZ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 04 Jag X type suddenly wont start

Just bought a 2004 X type Jag in Feb.2011
Recently I got sick and did not go anywhere for a week - when I got better got in my Jag turned the key and all the warning lights flashed as I got a clicking sound and car would not start - after 2 days of this I finally got it to start - took it for a drive first battery light was on , then abs light , transmission light and parking brake in that order car began to act sluggish - then a/c , radio, clock shut off - fortunately I was home , but car did not have enough power to make it up driveway - waited 5 min. and it started and got it up driveway - next day went out to start it and exact same thing - I am so disappointed - dont know what to do or who to turn to - would VALUE someones help and input - Thanx
P.S. This all seem to start after taking it in for state inspection in which they hooked up their machine to the Jag - dont know if this has anything to do with it.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:44 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

XYZ, first things first, get your hands on a multimeter and connect it across the battery. Does the multimeter read 12.6 VDC? If it is at 12.5 VDC or less, then your battery is not at full charge and this is leading to your problems. Next, get the car started and then turn on a lot of the accessories in the car (specifically the A/C on high, rear defroster on, and headlights). Now, using the multimeter, check the battery ground wire by touching the red lead to the engine block and the black lead to the actual post of the battery (not the clamp for the wire). Are you getting over 0.5 VDC, then the battery cable is bad and needs to be replaced. You will want to repeat this going between the battery positive post and the power wire going into the fuse box in the engine bay. If this line is over 0.5 VDC, then replace the positive wire.

It is possible you have a bad alternator, which, if you connect the multimeter across the battery terminals with the engine off, it should read 12.6 VDC. Now, start the car with the multimeter still connected across the battery while watching the multimeter. You should see it jump up to about 14.4 VDC, hang there for a few seconds and then come down to around 13.7 VDC over a short period of time. If the voltage falls to under 13.0 VDC, then you have a bad alternator. You can also try doing a load test by turning on the A/C on high, rear defroster, and the headlights while watching the multimeter. If the voltage changes with the engine at idle, then your alternator is starting to go and needs to be replaced.

If you have any more questions, just ask.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:20 PM
XYZ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jag wont start reponse

Well I took battery off and took it to pep boys, the battery was tested and was dead , I was told it was not a powerful enough battery for all the power windows , seats etc...so they recommended a Bosch battery, cost 175.00,
came home hooked it up and it started perfectly,still one of he lights on the panel was lit but went off after 3 more start ups. So HAPPY thats all it was.
Thanx all for your input.