X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'04 x type with a 5 speed MT.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '04 x type with a 5 speed MT.

Hi all. I have purchased a Jaguar x type with a 5speed MT. The prior owner ran the car like it were a Porsche. Made some grinding noises shifting from one to four, and could not go into reverse. Shifting wasn't a problem. Bought a clutch kit, took the car to a mechanic. Later was found by the mechanic that the tranny was cracked!
got a hold of another one from an '03 inspected it to make sure it was in good conditions. Got the call stated the car is done. Now the problem is that i can't shift into first or reverse without having to turn off the engine and shift...i then can drive afterwards..also the peddle is a bit soft. The mechanic, and i bled the clutch for what seemed to me a good 20 min. Still soft. Can i get some answers here in what to do myself. Pretty pricey if i take it again.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

There are only 3 elements to the clutch hydraulics. A. Slave cylinder, B. Master Cyliinder and C. Hydraulic tube.
If there is no evidence of a leak then the hydraulkic tube is probably just fine and that leaves the slave and master.
Did you install a new slave cylinder/pilot bearing? Are you sure it is properly bled?
You can check the master cylinder by removing the line from the slave cylinder and capping it. The press the clutch pedal. It should barely move before becoming very solid. If the master cylinder is failing it will slowly go all the way to the floor as you are pressing on it.
If the master cylinder tests good then the slave cylinder is the problem.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:09 AM

When i bought the kit it came with a new clutch, pressure plate, and a slave cylinder[throw out bearing] I'm assuming?
my knowledge, and experience in automotive is novice. When bleeding air must come out before the fluid right?
I can go ahead and try that method of capping the slave cylinder..

Old 06-07-2017, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Attached is the bleeding instructions for the 5 speed. Since you had shifting problems before I suspect the master cylinder is on the way out.

Attached Thumbnails '04 x type with a 5 speed MT.-clutch-bleed-1.jpg   '04 x type with a 5 speed MT.-clutch-bleed-2.jpg  
Old 06-07-2017, 01:53 PM

Hey Jose, the shifting into reverse, did you life up on the release ring right below the shift knob? I know it sounds stupid for me to ask but, my father-in-law and wife both missed it on X type. The told me weeks later at dinner. Dad said, hey your car is really hard to get into reverse. My wife chimes in and say, ya I noticed that too when I drove it. Did either of you lift the release lever below the shift knob? crickets and silence.