X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Jaguar X-Type, Security Fault Code 12

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 04:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2002 Jaguar X-Type, Security Fault Code 12

Until last week my car ran perfectly. On the way to work going about 30mph, the car just turned off. I stopped, put car in park and it immediately restarted. Took it to local shop who test drove it perfectly, and noticed non-blinking engine light on, and put reader on it, and it said security code of some sort, so he cleared it. Car never started again showing Security Fault and a red blinking light saying Code 12. Battery tested good, charged it for 3 hours anyway, disconnected battery, cables touching for 30 minutes. Reconnected them with no change.

Last thing we did was try to lock unlock car, manually and with key fob. Then had it towed to North Point Jaguar and gave them both keys. The service rep contacted me and said I had good battery, and good ground and that I needed to replace the security module which i approved and they did, and still no change. Suggesting that maybe there was a bad wiring harness, or (he didn't remember the other thing). Thought I would do some reading before i hear from them again tomorrow. At this point a car of this age has limited value, so do not want to be pouring in good money after bad... How many more things could be wrong, and am I just paying for one guess after another?

Thanks
Robbyb@pullapart.com

Old 11-19-2017, 07:59 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

P1260 is the DTC for INCORRECT KEY. The system does not recognize the current key if that is the code??? I always try the OTHER KEY but if both (or ALL) are not working then it might be something with the PATS transceiver GEM, INST PK or ECM??? They are all on the network and communicate with each other to verify the correct key.

More info from the repair shop is needed for diagnosis.
Sounds like they are 'throwing-parts' at the problem and not diagnosing. It is easy to spend YOUR MONEY to see if a part fixes it or not.

I have worked with MANY 'parts-changers' but very few actual mechanics.

You need to have good communication with them so you feel comfortable authorizing payment for 'experimentation'. Just them saying that "it still 'needs-another-part' and maybe that will do it" is an expensive way to go.

bob

Last edited by motorcarman; 11-19-2017 at 08:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Robby Ball (11-19-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 08:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you bob, I was kinda thinking the same thing as we have tried both keys that know worked. Time to have a chat with these guys. Historically, they have always diagnosed a problem and just fixed it first time, but I have come to the same conclusion you have