X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 X Type with a few probs

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 02:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 X Type with a few probs

I have a 2002 X-Type Sport 3.0V6 AWD 5 Speed Manual. Silver with black leather interior. I've had the car for about 6 months now and it's awesome and amazing in every single way. Just a few problems that I can't seem to figure out even after reading hours and hours of forums.

1. Installing a subwoofer and amp to the stock stereo, with a Peripheral SVEN2 Two Channel Premium Line Output Converter. I have it connected to the stock subwoofer in the back but it's not doing anything. Do I need to wire it into the rear speakers from the wiring harness behind the head unit?

2. I've checked all my fuses and wiring and can't figure out why my seat warmers won't work?

3. My engine light is on as well as "Cruise Not Available" I plugged it into an OBD2 Reader and it's coming up with Bank 1 & 2 too lean. I'm changing the 02 sensors, but once in a while the battery light comes on, is it time for a new alternator?

I love the car and want to keep it forever, but I would love some input on what these problems could be and how to fix them. Thanks for taking the time to read my little rant and hope to hear some answers soon

Old 08-25-2010, 04:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Welcome, I am moving your thread off to the X Type Forums so that you can get faster responses .
Enjoy your stay

Old 08-25-2010, 06:44 AM
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by XTYPE2002

3. My engine light is on as well as "Cruise Not Available" I plugged it into an OBD2 Reader and it's coming up with Bank 1 & 2 too lean. I'm changing the 02 sensors, but once in a while the battery light comes on, is it time for a new alternator?

[/SIZE][/FONT]
A vacuum leak is the most likely cause of these problems, not the O2 sensors.

Search on "vacuum leak" to find out the most likely causes and how to fix.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

welcome, replace the fuse anyway just for giggles, I had an issue with a fuse, replaced it even though it looked fine and voila, problem fixed. On the seat heaters I believe there is also a relay bank under the hood, and I'm pretty sure the heaters are in a relay. Only other alternative is to pull the plug, it just pops out and check with a continuity tool if there is power to the switch, maybe that's pooched.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:04 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

XTYPE2002, as for your alternator/battery issue, do you notice the light coming on when the engine RPMs get up above say about 3,000 RPM? If so, that is a classic sign of a Ford alternator starting to go. You don't have to replace it "right now", but I would start looking around and seeing where you can find one and when you have the extra money, pick it up and install it.

As for the cruise not available, I am assuming you got the P0171 and P0174 codes. These are normally caused by the IMT valves (the black disks on the passenger side of the intake) developing a leak. New O-rings can be had for a few bucks and they only take a few minutes per IMT to replace. Reset the codes and see if that helps you out. Another thing to check is the vacuum line that runs between the intake (downstream of the throttlebody) and the valve cover (this is hidden by the cover over the engine and is located right next to an engine coolant line). On the under side of this hose, it tends to crack and lead to a vacuum leak. A new hose can be had for around $15 (the updated hose is ribbed where the factory hose was smooth).

As for your seats, sounds like you got that issue fixed.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback. Definitely going to try everything and hopefully my issues go away. Does anybody know how to wire in the subwoofer though? That's the last thing on my list and after that hopefully it's smooth sailing
Once again thank you all for all of the helpful feedback