X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 X-type won't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 07:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2002 X-type won't start

2002 X-type won't start and clicks when I try to start. The N lite illuminated by the shifter while I tried to start and a little red light was on by gear shift too while I tried to crank. This same thing happened three months ago and I replaced the battery and everything worked fine until today sunday, when I got click click click. The last time I drove it was friday afternoon on way home from work and everything worked fine. I would assume if it was alternator the engine light would have come on. I have a peak 600 batter-jumper and even when charged at 100% it made no real difference. Could this be a starter? Strange that a battery could fail in 3 months

Old 07-20-2014, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Robby Ball
2002 X-type won't start and clicks when I try to start. The N lite illuminated by the shifter while I tried to start and a little red light was on by gear shift too while I tried to crank. This same thing happened three months ago and I replaced the battery and everything worked fine until today sunday, when I got click click click. The last time I drove it was friday afternoon on way home from work and everything worked fine. I would assume if it was alternator the engine light would have come on. I have a peak 600 batter-jumper and even when charged at 100% it made no real difference. Could this be a starter? Strange that a battery could fail in 3 months
xtra note: battery tests at 66% on a three month old battery, could it just be a bad alternator even though engine light was never on? The battery connectors also look clean like new, with no cracks

Old 07-20-2014, 09:33 PM

UPDATE - Finally got car jump started on second try. Appears the PEAK jump-starter 600 was just underpowered. No real clue to why a three month old battery died, but after driving it around for 30 minutes, the car restarted on it's own so it would seem that the alternator is working fine too. I am going to charge battery over night, take it back to auto zone and have battery checked. Simple things to rule out, lights were not left on and door was not left ajar. The only new symptom is that the battery light is now on, i will have that checked too.... I will follow up with final solution, just in case anyone else sumbles by this thread. Thanks

Old 07-21-2014, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Robby Ball
UPDATE - Finally got car jump started on second try. Appears the PEAK jump-starter 600 was just underpowered. No real clue to why a three month old battery died, but after driving it around for 30 minutes, the car restarted on it's own so it would seem that the alternator is working fine too. I am going to charge battery over night, take it back to auto zone and have battery checked. Simple things to rule out, lights were not left on and door was not left ajar. The only new symptom is that the battery light is now on, i will have that checked too.... I will follow up with final solution, just in case anyone else sumbles by this thread. Thanks
UPDATE - 3 month old battery has bad cell because regulator was pimping out 15V into the system, and frying the battery. Lucky it didn't fry the computer system as well. New battery and new alternator regulator and good to go...

The following users liked this post:
jimborino (07-21-2014)