Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   X-Type ( X400 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/)
-   -   2003 x-type wont go into reverse (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/2003-x-type-wont-go-into-reverse-99450/)

blk05coupe 07-26-2013 09:23 AM

2003 x-type wont go into reverse

ok here's the issue. its my daughters car and has been driving fine then one day she gets out of work and it wont go into reverse. you can feel it engage it just wont go anywhere no matter how much gas you give it.
it also has the following codes
p1313
p1314
p0051
p1647

thank in advance for your help.
mike

blk05coupe 07-26-2013 09:26 AM

also its a 2.5 engine and its an automatic

daxter1987 07-26-2013 09:47 AM

Ok lets see what ur codes are all about by clicking the link :D

Engine Control Module Diagnostic Trouble Codes 4.2 L Jag engine

p1313, p1314 are all about misfires, maybe bad coils, spark plugs, dirty injectors... by themselves who knows :D

p0051 is an O2 sensor code, left bank the heater part, most likely you need a new o2

p1647 this is also an o2 sensor code left bank 2/1 which i think it means bank 2 sensor 1

none of these codes should prevent u from going into reverse. unless u can read the codes at the tcm then u can only guess. Disconnect the battery overnight and hope it works better the next day. Check the tranny fluid level and fluid state.

Best of luck!!!

blk05coupe 07-26-2013 09:52 AM

thanks Dax, since i'm new to the jag world and trying to help the daughter where do you check the fluid at?
mike

GGG 07-26-2013 01:44 PM

Welcome to the forum Mike,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help section to X-Type section. Members here with the same model will offer further advice.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST section and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Thermo 07-26-2013 08:18 PM

blk05coupe, odds are, you are simply running low on fluid. That will cause the tranny to remain in neutral. As for checking the fluid, you will find that under the battery box, you will find a fill hole and then on the side of the tranny, you will find a plug that is your level indicator (if you look around, should be able to find a post that states the exact location of these plugs). From there, you fill the tranny until fluid comes out the level hole. From the sounds of things, you are probably a quart low from the tranny. Possibly a little more.

blk05coupe 07-28-2013 08:16 AM

thanks thermo. how many quarts does the tranny hold?
mike

Dr dome 07-28-2013 10:03 AM

Hey Mike,
Make sure to get the right fluid. Check the site for brands people use. or you can go to jag and get 46 dollar a quart oil. (crazy) The trans holds about 9 to 10 quarts if I am not mistaken. I use Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF. Its a bit cheaper $3.50 a quart.

Good Luck,
The Dr!

James Brandon Justice 08-08-2013 11:35 AM

I had this same problem, but on a different car, so this might sound silly. Check around the spark plugs for oil. On one of the cars I was working on it had a bad head gasket that was leaking oil down on the plugs, the plugs would then somehow ground out and BAMO the car wouldn't move.

blk05coupe 08-09-2013 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by James Brandon Justice (Post 787859)
I had this same problem, but on a different car, so this might sound silly. Check around the spark plugs for oil. On one of the cars I was working on it had a bad head gasket that was leaking oil down on the plugs, the plugs would then somehow ground out and BAMO the car wouldn't move.

thats pretty bazaar, ive been so busy i have not had time to get back to working on it but i'll take a look at it. it needs new plugs anyways.
thanks