Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   X-Type ( X400 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/)
-   -   2003 X-type won't start (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/2003-x-type-wont-start-216222/)

Franchetti 04-10-2019 12:49 PM

2003 X-type won't start

Hi, I have a 2003 Jag and my husband had trouble opening the door. When he eventually got the door open the car won't start. It seems as tough the immobiliser has kicked in. Any suggestions on how to fix this. Thanks

Alfadude 04-10-2019 02:08 PM

When you say "my husband had trouble opening the door" what exactly do you mean? Do you mean he tried to unlock it with the key fob and it did not respond? Did he try and open it with a key and he could not get it to unlock? Did it feel like there was something mechanical that was preventing the door from opening or made it very hard to physically open the door? Something else?.

If the car was working perfectly fine and then all of a sudden it would not start chances are it is a bad battery. The car is very sensitive to voltage fluctuations and if it doesn't see a voltage in the correct range it won't start. There is usually no prior warning that the battery is getting weak. If that sounds like what happened to you have your battery load tested. Or, if it is very old, might not be a bad idea to buy a new battery as a preventative measure.

car5car 04-10-2019 04:32 PM

Dealer mechanics told me that dead instrument clusters are very common. They have internal immobilizer device.
It happened to my S. Mechanic programmed different cluster, that was it.
If your problem is dead cluster, get used one and find somebody to program it.
Mechanic will program cluster to ECM, then keys to cluster. 10 min job, $150 labor. You have to have 2 keys.

avern1 04-11-2019 12:16 PM

In order to provide meaningful solutions and not random throwing parts at the problem we are going to need a little bit more information. First to answer your question about the inertia switch.
The piece or switch you are searching for is called "Inertia Switch", it is located on the passenger side of the vehicle in the passenger front footwell. Look for a small plastic cover similar to the tow hook cover on the front bumper. Approximately where the passengers right knee would be. Remove it and press the switch to reset. This switch is designed to shut off the fuel in an accident, it doesn't stop the engine from cranking.

Now as to what is occurring:
Is the engine turning over (cranking) and not starting?
If it is do you have spark?
If the engine is not turning over do you have 12 volts or more at the starter when the key is turned to start?
Do you have 12 or more volts at both the battery posts and the cable connector terminals? Bad connections/dirty connections?
If it cranks over does either battery terminal HEAT up (to hot to touch)?

Give us a little more to work with and we will see what we can do to help.

Dell Gailey 04-11-2019 02:56 PM

+ is the red PATS light furiously blinking with key in position 2?

Franchetti 04-11-2019 03:25 PM

So basically when i insert the key into the ignition the red security light located in the centre consul blinks quickly. It then stops and when i turn the key the doors lock and the dials on the dash make a clicking sound and red central lights comes on constant There is a clicking sound from under the bonnet, but no luck in startng. Have tried to jump start in case a battery problem but no luck. Lights, radio etc all work. It's a 2003 X type.

Franchetti 04-11-2019 03:28 PM

So basically when i insert the key into the ignition the red security light located in the centre consul blinks quickly. It then stops and when i turn the key the doors lock and the dials on the dash make a clicking sound and red central lights comes on constant There is a clicking sound from under the bonnet, but no luck in startng. Have tried to jump start in case a battery problem but no luck. Lights, radio etc all work. It's a 2003 X type.

Dell Gailey 04-11-2019 04:46 PM

So turn key to position 2, IF PATS light blinks furiously, wait and see if it then "settles down" into a repetitive blinking pattern like 1 blink then 3 blinks (or 2,4,5 etc.).

Another check to do, is turn key to position 2, watch dash lights as they sequence through their check. If the CEL (check engine light, the little amber motor icon) extinguishes, that is an indicator that indeed the immobilizer is activated.

dharry078 04-13-2019 01:12 PM

Hi, I am really sorry, but I need to ask, am I allowed to 'butt' with my own X-type problem, or, is it a new thread I have to start. Thank you

Steve M 04-13-2019 01:40 PM

New thread please.

Franchetti 04-13-2019 02:10 PM

Thanks to everyone trying to help solve my problem with the car. I called the AA out and the battery was completely dead. I bought new battery and car now going great. Thanks again.