Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   X-Type ( X400 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/)
-   -   Abs, and speedometer not working (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/abs-speedometer-not-working-216098/)

Minton 04-07-2019 08:16 PM

Abs, and speedometer not working

I just bought a 2003 x type jag and the ABS light is on and the Speedometer is not working and the car likes to bog down when i try to press the gas to go. So i have to take it kind of slow to take off. Only code i get is p1000. Guy i bought it from said he just replace back two abs sencors but cant reset system. Will a hard reset fix this? Or what do i do?

Dell Gailey 04-07-2019 09:51 PM

Hmmm....sort of more than odd that ABS light would be on and no code. The challenge here may be the reader you are using. Chassis codes and many other types do not show up on an inexpensive generic OBD2 reader. The p1000 is showing that there is a problem, or that previous (not current) code(s) were cleared and the drive cycle has not been completed. The best readers are iCarSoft i930 & iCarSoft LRii for complete diagnostics and even relay actuation availability.

Minton 04-07-2019 10:03 PM

I am guessing the previous owner reset the codes. But after I drove it home no other lights came on and no other codes came on. I have a MaxiLink ML329 reader(cheaper one i know) but i would think something would have read. I drove it like 90 miles back to my place.

car5car 04-07-2019 10:39 PM

Speedometer and ECM know speed from ABS sensors. If ABS module is bad, speedometer will not show speed. Check ABS codes. I have extra ABS module.
Transmissions of many cars do not have speed sensors if car has ABS.
Yesterday I was replacing transmission in some Toyota and "new" transmission had speed sensor, but old one didn't, because the car has ABS.

avern1 04-08-2019 10:28 AM

Actions of the speedometer are controlled by the ECM by averaging the speed input from the four wheels. If a wheel sensor goes bad the ECM will average the speed based on the remaining 3. If 2 sensors go bad the speedometer will read 0. You can retrieve the codes and test the speedometer by entering the engineering test mode ETM. Using the Trip button on turn signal stalk, press in while turning ignition on (but not starting), we can enter what is known as ETM mode. The information will appear in the instrument cluster message center. You press in on trip button to advance to each test on the ETM. One of the tests will cause the RPM and SPEED needles to sweep and return to zero. That would indicate they are working. Write down any C-codes, or U-codes you get and post them and we can help further.

Minton 04-08-2019 11:45 AM

Only code i saw was for it is C-297, and c 2g89

Minton 04-08-2019 11:48 AM

When in test mode i go to gages and speedodometer shudders alittle but RPM dosent move at all

avern1 04-08-2019 02:23 PM

Unfortunately based on the results my next recommendation would be to take it to a dealer or find a Independent shop that has the software to interrogate the modules. The reactions you are seeing are most likely a CAN bus error and a scanner is probably not going to help in locating the offending component. You might inquire from the previous owner what other work has been done that might lead to an area to look at.
Hopefully others will chime in and help with a resolution.

car5car 04-08-2019 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by avern1 (Post 2052323)
Unfortunately based on the results my next recommendation would be to take it to a dealer or find a Independent shop that has the software to interrogate the modules. The reactions you are seeing are most likely a CAN bus error and a scanner is probably not going to help in locating the offending component. You might inquire from the previous owner what other work has been done that might lead to an area to look at.
Hopefully others will chime in and help with a resolution.

1.Check ABS codes
2.Diagnose the codes: test sensor. wires.
This is exactly what I did:
I had left rear wheel sensor code.
I checked sensor, checked wires (turned out to be OK), replaced ABS module. No big deal, except I had to get 5 used ABS module, only 4th one was good.

BlownKitty 04-09-2019 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by car5car (Post 2052441)
1.Check ABS codes
2.Diagnose the codes: test sensor. wires.
This is exactly what I did:
I had left rear wheel sensor code.
I checked sensor, checked wires (turned out to be OK), replaced ABS module. No big deal, except I had to get 5 used ABS module, only 4th one was good.

Originally Posted by car5car (Post 2052441)
I have extra ABS module.

and which of the 5 used ABS modules do you now have as an "extra"?

I'm only asking/interested to protect our newer forum members from possible unscrupulous actions from person/persons.

car5car 04-09-2019 10:53 PM

del

BlownKitty 04-09-2019 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dell Gailey (Post 2051978)
Hmmm....sort of more than odd that ABS light would be on and no code. The challenge here may be the reader you are using. Chassis codes and many other types do not show up on an inexpensive generic OBD2 reader. The p1000 is showing that there is a problem, or that previous (not current) code(s) were cleared and the drive cycle has not been completed. The best readers are iCarSoft i930 & iCarSoft LRii for complete diagnostics and even relay actuation availability.

Thanks Dell,

Though I have cheepy Innova reader and a ELM327 running Torque Pro, I just ordered a LRii for $150.00 off of Amazon. I like that the LRii is specific to Jaguar and Land Rover as I don't typically play with Toyota's. ;)

Cheers,

BK

BlownKitty 04-09-2019 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by car5car (Post 2053074)
2 out of 5 are good.
I was selling parts on ebay for about 10 years or so. 100% positive 1500 feedbacks

Which contradicts your post stating "No big deal, except I had to get 5 used ABS module, only 4th one was good".

Me thinks that the the math doesn't quite add-up...

Let's break this down a bit for those that lack basic math skills, or might possibly be unscrupulous.

If Johnny bought 5 apples and only 1 was good, if Johnny ate the the good apple, out of the 5 apples that johnny bought how many good apples does Johnny have left?

and BTW C5 your Ebay feedback rating means absolutely d**ck here unless you're trying to sell something!

car5car 04-10-2019 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by BlownKitty (Post 2053080)
Which contradicts your post stating "No big deal, except I had to get 5 used ABS module, only 4th one was good".

Me thinks that the the math doesn't quite add-up...

Let's break this down a bit for those that lack basic math skills, or might possibly be unscrupulous.

If Johnny bought 5 apples and only 1 was good, if Johnny ate the the good apple, out of the 5 apples that johnny bought how many good apples does Johnny have left?

and BTW C5 your Ebay feedback rating means absolutely d**ck here unless you're trying to sell something!

you definitely need to stop smoking! Maybe your brain will start working!
I got 5 ABS used modules
I tested them until 4th one turned out to be good. I still have 5th one.
Are you with me so far? How old are you, 80? How is your blood pressure?