X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice needed on my recently bought car

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 12:38 PM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Advice needed on my recently bought car

I recently bought my 2.2d manual 2005 x type jaguar.
When I looked over the car at a used car dealer (25th may), it looked good and engine seemed fine.
I test drove the car, it drove fine with one fault, the clutch release bearing started to sound rough after testing the car for a while (it was just the release bearing, nothing else).

The dealer has replaced the flywheel/clutch etc, and today I went to collect the car.
Besides the car now having oily carpet, and bodywork smeared with the same, I drove the car back home.
As soon as I drove the car down the road, the car shakes under throttle, and also makes a mechanical sound to match !
Also the gear selection is fine in 1/2/3 and 4, but the gears are hard to select in 5 and 6.
I turned the car round and took it straight back.
The dealer tried to fob me off with "it sounds like a bolt is loose" type of fix!
They had a quick look at the car and diagnosed cv joint problem.
The remarks of selection of 5 and 6 was "it seems alright to me" pass off reply.
When I spoke to the mechanic he told me he had spent 2 days on the car, and the bolts holding the subframe up would not undo, due to the captive nuts turning round, so he had to adapt a tool to get hold of them, so he could unbolt the subframe.

What I would like to know is what damage has he likely done, I assume he has stressed/bent the gearbox selector parts, amongst other things ?

Thanks,
Paul.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:43 AM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

First drove home from the dealer it already give you lots of trouble, I'll try to return the car and get the money back, find another car.

Old 06-18-2017, 12:45 PM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Update on the car.
A new drive shaft has now been fitted, and the car now drives ok.
Also the gear selection is also sorted too, so at least I have the car that drives as it originally did, with a whole new clutch/flywheel/release bearing kit fitted, so at least I have the bonus of that !
What is very annoying is how the front bumper under panel/radiator splash shield has been self tapped back on, with holes drilled for this in different places than the original clips/screws that were probably seized !
The panel will have to be removed/replaced, and also look at what else has been bodged.
I intend to spend some time and money on the car to ensure it will be reliable.

Clearly the dealer and mechanics attitude is fix it up quickly, with no tlc.

Paul.

Old 06-18-2017, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Originally Posted by Thang Nguyen
First drove home from the dealer it already give you lots of trouble, I'll try to return the car and get the money back, find another car.
Just ignore this.