X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone install a tranny filter or exhaust insultation?

Old 02-16-2014, 05:36 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Anyone install a tranny filter or exhaust insultation?

I was wondering if it was possible, or even advisable, to install an inline transmission fluid filter on the transmission cooling line to help our trannies last longer. If anyone's done it please share your experience.

Along those lines, I read that one of the reasons that the transfer case got so hot is that its located next to the exhaust. Has anyone put exhaust insulation around the exhaust near the transfer case? If so, could you share the experience with us? Would it involve dropping the transfer case and/or transmission to get it done?

I'm planning on doing my tranny fluid and transfer case fluid next weekend or so and trying to think of what else I can do to improve the durability of my cat while I'm down there.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:18 PM
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

I don't think extra transmission filter is needed, if somebody thinks it is, why not to install 2 or 3 extra filters? How about extra oil filter?

Old 02-16-2014, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by car5car
I don't think extra transmission filter is needed, if somebody thinks it is, why not to install 2 or 3 extra filters? How about extra oil filter?
My understanding, from reading this and other jag forums, is that the X-type doesn't actually have a transmission filter of any kind - it only has a magnetic plug to try to keep metal particles from accumulating in the transmission fluid. Therefore, my question was not directed towards having an EXTRA filter, but rather whether it wouldn't be prudent to at least have a transmission fluid filter in the first place.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:39 PM
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't really see any reason why this can't be done. There is plenty of space under there too. The only possible thing would be a change in the transmission fluid pressure (I really doubt it would cause a big enough reason for the car to care though).

I was actually toying with this idea when I was installing my additional transmission cooler.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:47 PM

Аll automatic transmissions have filters. Some transmissions don't have oil pan, their filter is not replaceable w/o transmission overhaul. I rebuilt 03 Accord auto transmission, it doesn't have oil pan, filter is inside.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:00 PM

Аll automatic transmissions have filters. Some transmissions don't have oil pan, their filter is not replaceable w/o transmission overhaul. I rebuilt 03 Accord auto transmission, it doesn't have oil pan, filter is inside.
My bad. After further refining my search parameters, I found the following:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...65/#post425999

He's a jag tech, so I guess the other info I saw was from some random people on the internet who were misinformed (which led to me be misinformed ). The Jag tech's post indicates that the filter is a screen in the bottom of the trans so it is not accessible.

My new search also revealed someone who added a transmission filter via the cooling line. Perhaps he will chime in on this post to let us know if it was helpful or presented any problems. You can find his post about it here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...23/#post790971

He used this filter:
B&M 80277 Universal Remote Transmission Filter Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive B&M 80277 Universal Remote Transmission Filter Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive

The Amazon description claims that it increases filtering efficiency 2-5x.

With that being said, I should expect that a secondary filter would be of benefit because it will reduce the load on the primary filter and thereby extend the transmission's useful life. As the secondary filter can be easily changed, it just becomes part of the ordinary regular maintenance of the car.

Any thoughts on putting exhaust insulation on the exhaust pipe to protect the transfer case from overheating?

Old 02-17-2014, 01:05 PM

Now color me confused. ON two different threads you have Jag techs who state that the X-type tranny does and then in the other, does not, have a filter built into it.

This post, from motorman (a certified jag tech) says it has a filter screen on the bottom of the trans: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...65/#post425999

This post, from Jagtec1, says the X-type tranny DOES NOT have a filter! : https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...55/#post167477

Which one do I trust? Maybe its a confusion of terminology - perhaps the screen referred to by Motorman is not viewed as a filter by Jagtec1. . . I don't know.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:17 PM

Most dealerships don't have transmission mechanics, they only replace transmissions. So mechanics don't need to know about a filter inside transmission.