Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   X-Type ( X400 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/)
-   -   Audio Gone - possibly after jump start (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/audio-gone-possibly-after-jump-start-110982/)

GrumpyMike 02-01-2014 11:20 AM

Audio Gone - possibly after jump start

Hi,

Picked up my 2008 X-type a few weeks ago and drove from London to Holyhead. The radio was working fine and the sat nav audio directions were perfect. After stopping for something to eat, I had a flat battery and restarted with a jump start. After that, the radio died.

Having disconnected the battery for over 30 minutes and replacing it with a new one, the state of play now is as follows:

1. On starting up and selecting any radio channel, all I get is a crackling sound for a few seconds and then silence.
  2. Selecting the CD changer or the internal CD player gives the same result.
  3. Sat nav works but the audio directions are have a swishing sound followed by a very muted audio.
  4. Jaguar Voice works but there is no audio feedback.
  5. Running the BAND+EJECT test and cycling through confirms that all components of the audio system are being detected.
  6. The system seems to work in every way except for the lack of sound.
  7. Fuses seem to be okay.
The question is, did the jump start fry the amplifier, or is there something else that I should do?

Thanks,
GrumpyMike
2008 X-Type 2.2D Sovereign 89k Mls

cat_as_trophy 02-01-2014 03:36 PM

Hi Mike, and greetings from down under,

Let me preface remarks by admitting I'm an S-Type rather than X-Type owner. Even so, I suspect the issues giving your problems are more likely flowing from flat battery and 30min "no battery power" while replacing with new battery.

So many features may need resetting or configuring after a "no battery power" that I have researched and printed a comprehensive list for my car - many will be specific to car model, year, features fitted. For us, the first is radio access code; then followed by resetting radio station presets; memory positions for seats, mirrors, pedals, steer; local and global windows and locks; and finally electronic parking brake.

Suggest you read handbook and relevant sections of workshop manuals. Unfortunately, whilst all this info is in there, you can expect to find it spread throughout all the sub-system sections, rather than consolidated in one central place.

I will be keen to see feedback and resolution of your problem because, while our beloved S-Type will always remain, we are keen to add a petrol X-Type for our everyday travel. This issue would be first priority - before a flat battery!
Best wishes for a quick solution. :icon_toast:

GrumpyMike 02-02-2014 11:29 AM

Thanks Ken,

I have an update. Somewhere else on this forum, I saw a reference to pressing the PHONE + MENU buttons so, I thought that might be worth looking at. I tried it but maybe didn't keep the buttons pressed for long enough at first and nothing happened. So I tried PHONE + AUDIO and EUREKA! my sound was restored.

However, after trying out the radio, CD changer, and sat nav, I decided to adjust the audio using the MODE button. Immediately I changed the SUB setting, it died again and, no matter what combination of buttons I try, I can't get it to work again.

But hey, the good news is that it isn't a hardware problem and, maybe it might work after leaving it overnight.

A list of button combinations and their function, e.g. PHONE+MENU for self-test, BAND+EJECT for detecting audio system components, etc. would be good to have if anybody knows these.

Mike

JagXster 02-02-2014 01:25 PM

I was under the impression that the dealer had to give (sell) the radio codes after the battery was disconnected. The codes are for deterring theft and are assigned to your car only via serial number

GrumpyMike 02-03-2014 03:38 PM

Hi JagXter,
I'm not too sure what your point is. I have the security code for the radio. I think my problem is that I need to reset something but I don't know what or how.
Mike

JagXster 02-03-2014 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by GrumpyMike (Post 903579)
Hi JagXter,
I'm not too sure what your point is. I have the security code for the radio. I think my problem is that I need to reset something but I don't know what or how.
Mike

Really! How did you get the code? I thought it was some long encrypted numeric password that had to be retrieved by Jaguar. Seems I'm confused on the reset code. Is it just phone+audio ?

GrumpyMike 02-04-2014 05:00 AM

Sorry JagXter,

Maybe I created some confusion. When you lose power to the radio, it looks for a 4-digit code when power is restored before it will work. This is on a card which comes with the owners manuals and, fortunately, I have that. It can also be obtained from a dealer.

cat_as_trophy 02-05-2014 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by JagXster (Post 903735)
Really! How did you get the code? I thought it was some long encrypted numeric password that had to be retrieved by Jaguar.

As explained correctly by GrumpyMike, the 4 digit Radio Access Code is provided on a code card provided to the original purchaser ... BUT ... be aware that whilst designed to meet anti-theft legislation in many world markets, it appears to be largely unknown in North America ... perhaps just another of the many regional anomalies.

One correction I should note is that the local dealer should provide a lost Radio Access Code free of charge, provided sufficient proof of identity and vehicle ownership is tendered. Anyway, Mike is aware of the code issue, and I agree with his analysis that his issues arise from software related to loss of battery power - and not from hardware.

So Mike, I am sorry that my knowledge is confined to being specific to the S-Type, where the array of reset and/or recalibration issues is bound to be so different. Hopefully, some of your X-Type gurus will chime in soon.

Cheers. :icon_toast: