Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   X-Type ( X400 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/)
-   -   Bearing Noise? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/bearing-noise-218048/)

timm525 05-20-2019 07:20 PM

Bearing Noise?

02 X-Type with 143,000 miles.

I have a bearing type noise coming from somewhere?

I've personally replaced all 4 wheel bearings. Sound improved as one front and one rear had some play in it but the sound wasn't eliminated like I'd like.

I read on here to grease the carrier bearing with a grease gun and needle attachment is several places. Done. Sound improved but not gone.

I've replaced the differential oil on the front and rear differentials by tilting the car 23" off the door sill. Unfortunately, I did not get ANY oil out on the front. I did suck a lot out of the rear. Oil that came out of the rear was very dark and thick. I was shocked how thin the replacement oil was. M2C192A

The sound is a little better then when I started this whole process. It seems to be quieter when the car is cold but after warming up I start to really hear it from 45-55 mph. Above that I think the road noise drowns it out.

My fear is the front differential got damaged with no oil in it and I'm in trouble.

I understand the carrier bearing isn't replaceable unless you purchase the whole driveshaft. I've seen refruberished ones for $650.00. Also I believe you need to balance the shaft when you put it on which is why I've read to mark the orientation of the shaft with the diff before you remove it so you can get it orientated correctly when reinstallling. I have no idea how you would balance a replacement shaft?

Am I correct in assuming there is no replacement carrier bearing on its own I can buy? Also, is there any bearings in the front differential that could be changed? It is my understanding there is no changeable parts in the differentials. Front differentials for $1350.00

Any thoughts on how to proceed?

Thank you,

Dell Gailey 05-20-2019 09:16 PM

No, you can replace the carrier bearing. Do a SEARCH (that's what it's for) in this forum. You'll see a procedure, pics, & in one (my link) to the part C2S38967EB

Front "differential" is the transfer case for searching. The "normal" sound when a transfer case goes/going bad is like tumbling rocks/gravel.

DAVESPACEBAT 05-21-2019 03:23 AM

I am very interested in your post and wonder if you and I have the same problem? Similar symptoms and we both have gone through the exact same steps to cure it, without much success. I have been right through the drive train on my car also. The only problem I MAY have found is that, in my car, I have a fair amount of play where the prop shaft enters the differential carrier and it feels clicky and dry. There are two small CV joints at either end of the prop shaft. No one seems to have had a problem with these but I can't feel play anywhere else. I have not taken them apart as I have yet to find a supplier. Next time you are under the car see if you can move the prop shaft in the direction shown in my pic. Do me a favour and let me know what you feel.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...93e97ec72b.jpg

timm525 05-21-2019 06:07 PM

Dell, thank you for the post on the bearing. I missed that one originally. I have ordered one.

Davespacebat, I'll let you know what I find.

Probable won't get to do this job till weekend after next, June 1-2nd.

Thanks everyone.

timm525 06-04-2019 06:57 PM

I didn't get a chance to do the carrier bearing replacement this past weekend. Hopefully I will this weekend.

Davespacebat, I was under the car looking and if I pull and push on the driveshaft front to back and back to front, it does have about 3/16" to a 1/4" play in it. Not exactually sure if this is what you are asking?

DAVESPACEBAT 06-05-2019 02:37 AM

Thanks for looking. On my car, I have definite play side to side. as well as front to back. I'm sure it should not be there. Good luck with your centre bearing replacement.