X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Pedal Return

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 07:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Pedal Return

Hello guys, first time posting here, just bought my car about a week ago, 04 Jaguar X type 2.5 manual. I have always been into cars but this is my first Jaguar and am having a problem.

While driving the car home I noticed that it felt like it was stopping sooner than it should when put in neutral and coasting, almost like I didn't have to use the brake to stop because it was already doing it. Well after driving a little more I noticed its because it actually IS using the brake already. I had someone following me and they told me my brake lights were always on, I did a search and found a few threads about the button and the pedal not coming up enough to press the button to shut it off which was my problem. I can pull the pedal up and shut them off so I did what someone else suggested and taped around that area to make it thick enough to shut the lights off.

But I am still having the problem of the pedal not returning all the way up after use. When I get in the car and release the E brake in neutral, even on an incline, the car will stay where it is unless I put my foot under the pedal and pull it up in which it releases the brakes and will roll like normal. If I lift the pedal it will stay up until I use the brakes again and then the same problem will occur.. any suggestions or help would be great!

Brakes need bled? Fluid change? or am I looking at something worse like a booster or master cylinder?

I did get under the dash and WD40 all the moving parts of the pedal assembly and make sure they were all moving freely with no binds.

Also, is there supposed to be a return spring on the pedal anywhere inside the car, I have read on other forums that some cars have them and some don't and couldn't find anything here to say either way.

thanks!

Old 05-23-2011, 08:33 AM

Hello,

I have the same problem.
I live in the Netherlands but Jaguar Netherlands hasn't a solution.
So I copied your story and sent it to Jaguar Great Britain. Today!!!

My brakes do stuck too in this case. Sometimes I have to lift the brake pedal more times.

Last weeks I have more troubles: braking assistance doesn't work all the time.
When I release the brake-pedal and brake again, mostly this problem is solved.
Sometimes I brake hard and the assistance is coming-up.
Fortunately I have a diesel, manual, so I can let the engine take over braking.

Tomorrow my dealer will change a tube with a valve in it. (I hope I understood them well. I'm not a technical.)
My problems arised directly when the left braking-unit was replaced. I don't know if there is a relation with the pedal-problem.

I will keep you informed.

Eugène

Excuse me for my English.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:42 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like your brake booster is going bad. The spring inside the booster gets weak and when this happens the vacuum inside the booster actually applies the brakes instead of just assisting.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:40 PM
Default Brake pedal return

Originally Posted by Topdawg82
Sounds like your brake booster is going bad. The spring inside the booster gets weak and when this happens the vacuum inside the booster actually applies the brakes instead of just assisting.
Thanks Topdwag82,
but our problem was: why only the three old brake-units and not the left-rear one (which is the new one)? I discovered this by touching the brake-discs with my fingers after driving without lifting the brake pedal (the "old" three were very hot then) and with continously lifting my brake pedal and/or not using the brakes. All discs were cold.

That is why we decided to do a revision of the other three brakes. However, today it appeared that the problem of not returning brake cylinders isn't solved. We will now replace the brake booster...., a much more expensive solution.

Kind regards