Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   X-Type ( X400 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/)
-   -   Buzzing Sound in Dash (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/buzzing-sound-dash-4926/)

LRover4X4 03-13-2008 03:20 PM

Buzzing Sound in Dash

Hey All

There is a constant buzzing sound coming from the dashboard area. Is this normal, or a common problem? Any help would be appreciated Jaguar X-Type 2004 3.0

Thanks
Bill

Dennis 03-13-2008 03:29 PM

RE: Buzzing Sound in Dash

It's probably something it caught from the Land Rover...:D

Seriously, it's normal..is it real faint just after you get in before you turn the key..if yes, it is the HVAC system's aspirator pump sampling the cabin air for temp adjustments when you start the car..Perfectly normal..and yes it shuts off about a minute after you turn off the car and close the doors.

If not that, it's probably the defrost vents rattling..There is a replacement vent the dealer will put in for you..under a TSB #or something like that.

jag_genius 03-13-2008 03:34 PM

normal but some tend to get noisy

ancientsanskrit 03-13-2008 03:59 PM

Hah, thanks for asking this one! I never get a chance to drive the car, but when I first heard it I was like wtf.

That's kind of cool now that I know what it's actually doing.

Crazy ass luxury cars! [8D]

xnaked 03-14-2008 10:56 AM

ORIGINAL: Dennis

It's probably something it caught from the Land Rover...:D

Seriously, it's normal..is it real faint just after you get in before you turn the key..if yes, it is the HVAC system's aspirator pump sampling the cabin air for temp adjustments when you start the car..Perfectly normal..and yes it shuts off about a minute after you turn off the car and close the doors.

Mine does not turn off, I have sat in the car after off, doors shut, car locked and the noise never goes away.

Is that normal?

Dennis 03-14-2008 11:01 AM

If it didn't turn off it, would kill your battery after a short while..I can't remember how long it takes exactly,but it will eventually shut off.

jagxtype 03-14-2008 11:56 AM

seems as if mine doesnt shut off also, but the car used to sit for weeks at a time without running and it would always start right up. I am convinced it will turn off.

tarheel72 03-14-2008 12:35 PM

As FJT will tell you, they do turn off after a period of time. But they will turnon again as soon as you open the door. To verify, leave the window down when you get out of the car and go back and stick you head in after thirty minutes and you should not hear it. Mine was a little too noisy and I got it replaced under warranty. The new one is still audible but much quieter than the old one. FJT told me they get dust bunnies in them and it makes them loud, or sometimes the motor goes bad. Either way I got it replaced. But the first service tech didn't want to do it. I had a second tech listen to it and he agreed to replace it.

jagxtype 03-14-2008 01:23 PM

this is located on the dash in a small vent correct? I notice a bit of dust collecting there. Would a can of airduster be worth a try?

FactoryJaguarTech 03-14-2008 02:39 PM

The aspirator motor can run for up to 20 minutes after ignition off. The dust bunnies get sucked in there with the air that it is monitoring. You can reach up under dash and pull it out. It is a two piece motor. Clips in and the base is bolted in. Just pull it straight down and it will come out. Clean it and then put compressed air through the vent prior to reinstalling. The air can damage the motor itself. They are supposed to be silent. The dirt makes them noisey. They will replace under warranty if you are still under factory warranty. Otherwise, live with it or clean it.

jagxtype 03-14-2008 04:35 PM

can you please point me in the direction and process of doing this a little more specific. I think i know where it is, but i am not sure. i think its on the right side of the steering column near the knee bolster.

FactoryJaguarTech 03-14-2008 04:51 PM

Yes it is behind the little grille to the right of the steering wheel. You have to get your head under the dash. Remove the underscuttle panel and use a flash light. You will see it up there. Pull it straight down toward you. It is hard to get to. Welcome to the world of being a tech.

jagxtype 03-14-2008 05:58 PM

thanks bro

FactoryJaguarTech 03-14-2008 08:03 PM

t us know if you attempt it. Maybe post some picsof procedure for others benefit?

Dennis 03-14-2008 09:22 PM

Thanks for the tip FJT..Mine was full of little ghost turds..I blew it out clean with the compressed air in a can for blowing off computer keybords of dust

FactoryJaguarTech 03-15-2008 02:41 PM

Ahh but Dennis....is it quieter now?

Dennis 03-15-2008 07:08 PM

Yes a little I think..It never was very loud..just a faint errrrrrrrrr

GaryMO 05-31-2009 08:34 AM

Anybody have any pics showing where the aspirator motor is? Mine is in dire need of cleaning!

Runitup10 06-15-2010 07:39 PM

not to be picky, but wow some pics would really help

tommyzr 07-19-2012 11:00 PM

Dash noise

Had same issue with my XK8 ('05) found a small piece of foam insulation in squrrel cage of blower motor that cause the noise .... a factory leftover!