X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can a Jaguar X-Type be supercharged or turbocharged?

Old 01-11-2015, 12:29 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Lightbulb Can a Jaguar X-Type be supercharged or turbocharged?

Stage 3 Duratec Turbo Kit | Mercury Cougar, Ford Contour, Ford Mondeo

I found that website which does turbos and supercharges for duratec engined cars, the Jaguar X-Type essentially has a Duratec engine, so couldn't someone turbo/supercharge this car with one of those kits? if not why not, and how can you get more horsepower from an X-Type? price doesn't matter.

Old 01-11-2015, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

If price doesn't matter sell and get a car that already has more HP. It'll be cheaper, too.

Old 01-11-2015, 03:30 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Zalami, can the car be made to make more power. Of course. But, how often are you planning on changing transfer cases if you are using a stock one? Now that suspect weak cases have destroyed themselves already, you may have a bit more luck. But, I still don't put a lot of faith into a stock transfer case holding 300 hp.

Not to mention that the X-Type runs a 10.5:1 compression ratio. This is not very turbo friendly. So, unless you are planning on running say 115 octane race fuel, you are going to have to rebuild the motor with a lower compression piston setup (say in the 8.5:1 range) so the need for super high octane fuel is not there.

But, like you mentioned, price is no object. So, yes, go for it. Let us know how it works. A lot of people are very interested to see how this works.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Geez, it looks like they have all the engine parts needed for $7000. Then $5K for the turbo kit. So, $12K just for parts for a 13 year old car with a 13 year old driveline that might be worth $3K-4K unmodified. Even if you do all the work yourself, that would be a lot of labor. Then factor in anything needed to mod the electronics to play nice with the new engine and that is quite a project. Like JagV8 said, why even bother? You would have at least $15K invested for a car that will never be worth a while lot and you would never get a fraction of that money back. Would it be cool? God, yes, as you would have a one off car and that would be the holy grail of a lot of guys on here since day one. X Types have been out since 2002 in this country and have been out of production for 7 model years now. In all that time I know of one guy on here that turbo charged his car. His name was Racer X I think. Not sure whatever ended up with it. So, it CAN be done, but......

If you would do something like that you would be considered a god on here, but for probably 99% of everyone else on here I would guess they would take that money and invest in a car that already is more powerful...and newer. Go for it if you want!

Old 01-11-2015, 09:56 PM

You see, it's not about having a fast car, it's about having a fast X-Type, the fastest X-Type available, I would honestly spend 12K on getting this car up to 300+ horsepower then spend half that on a stock car with 300+ horsepower, because that one will be just like all the others, while if I put the money into this one, not only will I have a fast X-Type, but arguably the fastest X-Type in the world!

The following 3 users liked this post by Zalami3196:
90 5.0 (11-30-2019), Patterson (01-15-2015), v8steve (08-28-2021)
Old 01-11-2015, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

There are three supercharger kits known, you can search around the forum to a tiny bit of information about them. I'm only aware of two cars that had such kits fitted, and the other one was reportedly crashed long ago.

Anyway, if you really want to spend +$10k on tuning up an X-Type (might make more sense to start with a 3.0?), do go ahead & post the results. I wouldn't hold my breath though, we see these threads every now and then...

Old 01-12-2015, 07:19 AM
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Aonsaithya
There are three supercharger kits known, you can search around the forum to a tiny bit of information about them. I'm only aware of two cars that had such kits fitted, and the other one was reportedly crashed long ago.

Anyway, if you really want to spend +$10k on tuning up an X-Type (might make more sense to start with a 3.0?), do go ahead & post the results. I wouldn't hold my breath though, we see these threads every now and then...
Aonsaithya, have you seen links to these supercharger kits, like in any threads, of have you found them on any site? personally I've been looking for turbos, and engine swaps for japanese turbo'd engines or american small block V8s, so it's understandable how I haven't found these X-Type Supercharger kits, albeit the link I left at the top of the page may be even better, but yeah, i'll find this Supercharger Kit, I'll put it on my X-Type for the sake of having the fastest X-Type on the face of the planet.

The following users liked this post:
Patterson (01-15-2015)
Old 01-12-2015, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Zalami3196
Aonsaithya, have you seen links to these supercharger kits, like in any threads, of have you found them on any site? personally I've been looking for turbos, and engine swaps for japanese turbo'd engines or american small block V8s, so it's understandable how I haven't found these X-Type Supercharger kits, albeit the link I left at the top of the page may be even better, but yeah, i'll find this Supercharger Kit, I'll put it on my X-Type for the sake of having the fastest X-Type on the face of the planet.
Arden
One such X-Type was introduced on the UK Jaguarforum, by a new member who had bought it 2nd hand. I think it had +300bhp or so, it was some time ago. Arden does not list the supercharger on their web store, but if they did, knowing their terrific pricing it'd probably be far over $15k.

Elite Performance Jags
Supercharged & with some sort of a NO2 system. Magazine article here.
It was later "wrapped around a tree", one member on the UK forum bought the custom seats off the wreck.
I believe EAPJ discontinued the supercharger a long time ago.

J Nothelle
Japanese company, the only one that lists the kit on their website. Here's some links:
J. Nothelle dévoile la première X-Type compressor
J NOTHELLE JAPAN yTSM GROUPz
About $14k that.

So, with a supercharger kit you'd have a tech-wise completely unproven engine with like 300-320bhp coupled to a relatively fragile drive train. It just doesn't make any sense, for the same money or less you could get a X308/X350 XJR with 367-400bhp stock, and if that's not enough you can gain far more power for far less money.

The following users liked this post:
Zalami3196 (01-13-2015)
Old 01-12-2015, 09:41 AM
Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm doing the same thing except I'm running a turbo set up looking for around 400hp. Lucky for me I ended up getting my old x type back so the 3.0l I bought can be torn down completely and I still have another x to daily with.

I've already started purchasing components and I'm in talks with jcr off road here in Kalamazoo about rebuilding a transfer case to correct specs to handle the power. I'm also not against a t case swap with a better rated case but I'm going with original first.

People here just don't understand that it's not about buying a stock 400hp car for half the price, it's about being able to say "I did it".

Sometimes it's not about the money but about the goals you set for yourself and accomplishing those goals and not letting anything (money) get in your way.

I'm keeping my project under wraps until I have a substantial amount of progress to show and legitimately start proving the naysayers wrong.

You know, It might take a few years to complete the project but when done, I and maybe even zal, will have the world's most powerful x. I love these cars and to me it's not about having 400hp, it's about having 400hp in a x type

The following 5 users liked this post by X-TypeMentality:
90 5.0 (11-30-2019), Patterson (01-15-2015), Richxtype2ds (04-14-2021), Thang Nguyen (08-25-2016), Zalami3196 (01-13-2015)
Old 01-13-2015, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by X-TypeMentality
I'm doing the same thing except I'm running a turbo set up looking for around 400hp. Lucky for me I ended up getting my old x type back so the 3.0l I bought can be torn down completely and I still have another x to daily with.

I've already started purchasing components and I'm in talks with jcr off road here in Kalamazoo about rebuilding a transfer case to correct specs to handle the power. I'm also not against a t case swap with a better rated case but I'm going with original first.

People here just don't understand that it's not about buying a stock 400hp car for half the price, it's about being able to say "I did it".

Sometimes it's not about the money but about the goals you set for yourself and accomplishing those goals and not letting anything (money) get in your way.

I'm keeping my project under wraps until I have a substantial amount of progress to show and legitimately start proving the naysayers wrong.

You know, It might take a few years to complete the project but when done, I and maybe even zal, will have the world's most powerful x. I love these cars and to me it's not about having 400hp, it's about having 400hp in a x type
400 horsepower eh? I guess I'll just have the fastest 2.5 X-Type in the world, still good, still a record breaker, and since our engines are duratec engines, would this work you think?
Stage 3 Duratec Turbo Kit | Mercury Cougar, Ford Contour, Ford Mondeo

Old 01-13-2015, 12:28 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

>Stage 3 Duratec Turbo Kit | Mercury Cougar, Ford Contour, Ford Mondeo

From the picture, the plumbing looks like it could be a real bitch
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar

Old 01-13-2015, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with termo
You will have to change your pistons and crancshaft also the drivetrain need to change.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:05 PM

No doubt the pistons will need to be replaced. I'm boring the motor out to a 3.5 with nautilus 8.5:1 pistons or I will just buy one of nautilus' 3.5l short blocks with 8.5:1 compression, perfect for FI.

As for driveline, I'd like to try to use as much of a newer awd taurus driveline that I can since they're already rated at like 330hp of something like that but I have yet to look too far into that. I'm not against a complete swap over of most components from the taurus sho, including trans and transfer case.

Another difficult part is going to be the tuning on the motor. I will definitely not be able to use the x type ecu so I'm hoping to go for a piggyback system or a complete stand alone aftermarket tunable ecu. My goal is to use original gauges and everything but I think that might be out of the window when talking about stand alone units...Idk I'm kind of winging it right now and just buying things I KNOW I will need and all the other stuff will work itself out in the R&D of the whole project.

That turbo kit would probably work with a lot of custom mods to the intake and such to make it work but none the less I'm sure it could work. I going to piece my system together though, which will still takes lots of custom work. Either way it will be an expensive venture, worth every dollar.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. If you do this. Please post pics as you go along. I love watching these kind of transformations.

Unfortunately I won't be of much help. I hope there are others on here who can help as you go along.

Good luck!

Old 01-13-2015, 11:41 PM
Smile

No doubt the pistons will need to be replaced. I'm boring the motor out to a 3.5 with nautilus 8.5:1 pistons or I will just buy one of nautilus' 3.5l short blocks with 8.5:1 compression, perfect for FI.

As for driveline, I'd like to try to use as much of a newer awd taurus driveline that I can since they're already rated at like 330hp of something like that but I have yet to look too far into that. I'm not against a complete swap over of most components from the taurus sho, including trans and transfer case.

Another difficult part is going to be the tuning on the motor. I will definitely not be able to use the x type ecu so I'm hoping to go for a piggyback system or a complete stand alone aftermarket tunable ecu. My goal is to use original gauges and everything but I think that might be out of the window when talking about stand alone units...Idk I'm kind of winging it right now and just buying things I KNOW I will need and all the other stuff will work itself out in the R&D of the whole project.

That turbo kit would probably work with a lot of custom mods to the intake and such to make it work but none the less I'm sure it could work. I going to piece my system together though, which will still takes lots of custom work. Either way it will be an expensive venture, worth every dollar.
You are paving the way for X-Type owners who want more power, and I stand behind you 200%. I hope to follow your example and have my X-Type be similar in horsepower to yours when you're done. As we've both said (in different ways) it's not about getting a 400 horsepower car, it's about getting a 400 horsepower X-Type, something I hope both of us (and a lot more people) will have in the near future, surprised nobody's done this earlier, what with this car being around for about a decade and a half.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:43 AM

Ah I don't know if I'm paving the way because it's going to be so damn expensive that a lot of folks jusy wont find it feasable or worth the money and as most here would say, its impractical, considering yea, I can just buy a 410hp S Type R at a quarter the price of this project. To each his own.

I have been taking pictures but I won't start a build thread on the 3.0l until I've got a lot of usable knowledge of the build. The 3.0l x is in my uncles shop just waiting for me. This time of year is always my slow period so I'll probably get to ripping pretty soon.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Good luck to you both. I applaud your quest! I can understand and appreciate what you say about doing something because you WANT to and CAN and not because it makes sense financially or logically. Hope it goes quickly and smoothly for you both and let us know how it goes.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:32 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

X-Type, think of it this way, if you can solve the transfer case issue, there are tons of us that will follow you atleast that far. How many things have you seen me do that you go "man, that sounds pretty easy". It all has to start somewhere.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:34 PM

I'm trying thermo!

Maybe I'll get lucky and once I get into it, it's that simple "duh" permanent fix but I'm doubting it!

I'm really liking the taurus sho swap idea though! Already has the duratec 35 ecoboost twin turbo in it! Decisions decisions!

Old 01-17-2015, 07:12 PM

I'm trying thermo!

Maybe I'll get lucky and once I get into it, it's that simple "duh" permanent fix but I'm doubting it!

I'm really liking the taurus sho swap idea though! Already has the duratec 35 ecoboost twin turbo in it! Decisions decisions!
New Ford GT uses a twin turbo 3.5L ecoboost engine too, and that puts out 600+ rwhp...albeit that's not in anybody's price range.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can a Jaguar X-Type be supercharged or turbocharged?