Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   X-Type ( X400 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/)
-   -   Is this car worth getting into?? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/car-worth-getting-into-216449/)

danny727 04-15-2019 04:46 PM

Is this car worth getting into??

Hi I can buy a 2004 X-type with 155k for 800 bucks it sounds like he’s negotiable on the price too. He said the air doors/vents don’t work and he was changing an actuator out and the bar fell so he just has “a screw in” so the heat works then undoes it to make the a/c work? He said that the only way to fix it is to take apart a side of the dash and I also read that on here as well. That doesn’t really bother me as long as the ac/heat do work in it. I can fix it some time down the road.

He also said that the transfer case makes a whining noise above 30mph. I also read that this is a very typical thing and it’s usually the carrier bearing and a grease gun with a needle tip quietens it down. Or it could be the transfer case and so on. He said it has a bunch of new parts on it tires, hoses, etc.

The check engine light comes on once in awhile but it goes away on its own. It looks like a nice car I’m just wondering if it’s worth getting into it. I’ll be doing all thing own work as I’m mechanically inclined and work on diesels. But at that price why not right? If I can get him down to 600-700? I’ll be bringing my obd2 reader when I look at it and see how bad the whining really is. That’s the only thing that concerns me but I think he said he bought it 50k miles ago and it had that noise. I guess I’ll do a few transfer case fluid changes as well as greasing up the bearing? I know thear two issues are quite common on the x-types.

Let me know what you think. Sorry for the long post guys
Thanks

avern1 04-15-2019 06:31 PM

I limped home a $600.00 2002 3 liter and put $300.00 in materials to straighten out her tantrums. Drove it for 4 years and sold it for $1,500.00. I am always a sucker for a stray cat that just needs some love. If you have mechanical skills and are going to do your own work we are here to help. Go for it !

Dell Gailey 04-15-2019 07:24 PM

Yeah, whining is rarely transfer case. Could be carrier bearing, or a wheel bearing. Transfer case sounds more like "tumbling rocks" when it fails/failing. There are some very good posts in this forum on fixing the "stepper motors", some are a bit labor intensive and tight quarters, but doable.

Also check the build date on the door tag as you mention it's a 2004, commonly referred to as 2004 early model and 2004+ for later model. There are differences in quite a few components between the two. What engine is it, 2.5 or 3.0?

danny727 04-15-2019 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by avern1 (Post 2055771)
I limped home a $600.00 2002 3 liter and put $300.00 in materials to straighten out her tantrums. Drove it for 4 years and sold it for $1,500.00. I am always a sucker for a stray cat that just needs some love. If you have mechanical skills and are going to do your own work we are here to help. Go for it !

Yeah that’s how I feel about this man. I want to get it since I know I can get it right and it’s a good deal as well. Yeah I’ve built a couple trucks and I had a few “problem cars” in the past lol and build bikes and stuff like that.

Also a little update I think he’s talking about the blend door actuator under the passenger side glove box? He lost the bar when he was trying to put in the new actuator. I’m assuming I can find another online or get that one out or even make my own it kind of looks like this bar I have for an exhaust valve on a project I’m doing so it shouldn’t be an issue at all. I’m going to go see it tomorrow

danny727 04-15-2019 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dell Gailey (Post 2055796)
Yeah, whining is rarely transfer case. Could be carrier bearing, or a wheel bearing. Transfer case sounds more like "tumbling rocks" when it fails/failing. There are some very good posts in this forum on fixing the "stepper motors", some are a bit labor intensive and tight quarters, but doable.

Also check the build date on the door tag as you mention it's a 2004, commonly referred to as 2004 early model and 2004+ for later model. There are differences in quite a few components between the two. What engine is it, 2.5 or 3.0?

Ok cool yeah I was thinking it was probably the carrier bearing, I’ll check out both once I get it for sure. He said it isn’t that noticeable. And thanks for the info. I don’t have the build date but I know it’s a 3.0 built in England, I can get back to you on that though. I have the vin # but I can’t seem to find the month of assembly anywhere, I’m going to have to check the door tag when I’m there tomorrow. I’m very familiar on the half years since I’ve owned many dodge vehicles in the past so I know exactly what you’re talking about

-Danny

BlownKitty 04-15-2019 10:06 PM

You didn't happen to find it on Craigslist add in Florida did you?

danny727 04-16-2019 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by BlownKitty (Post 2055854)
You didn't happen to find it on Craigslist add in Florida did you?

No I didn’t. The car isn’t from Florida

car5car 04-16-2019 08:59 AM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...5a9c83e039.jpg

car5car 04-16-2019 09:13 AM

del

Dell Gailey 04-16-2019 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by car5car (Post 2056006)

Wtf? Isn't this a JAGUAR site? You trolling to sell this car5?

BlownKitty 04-16-2019 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by car5car (Post 2056006)

Here you go! https://us.toyotaownersclub.com/foru...5-matrix-club/

'glad to be able help you! and please drop by on occasion to share your experience's with the guys on Matrix forum.

TTFN

BlownKitty 04-16-2019 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dell Gailey (Post 2056194)
Wtf? Isn't this a JAGUAR site? You trolling to sell this car5?

'easy Dell..

Benefit of the doubt...Benefit of the doubt..

danny727 04-17-2019 09:55 PM

Haha that’s funny. Anyway I got the car today! I ended up paying 600 bucks for it very happy about it. Little things here and there wrong with it nothing huge. Also the bar for the air vents/system that goes across on the bottom fell inside the air box so he just took out all the actuators and had a drill bit where the temperature control actuator was to make the heat go on. He said that the controls were all out of sequence so he took a look and that’s when the bar fell inside. I took the drill bit out so the a/c is now on, when I put the air on that is. I was originally a little wrong about it I didn’t really understand over the phone then he showed me everything when I saw the car.

I read a couple topics related to it and I’ll be searching around on the forum and posting some topics for sure. By the way thanks for all the responses!

-Danny

AJ16er 04-17-2019 10:04 PM

For $600 you did good, Danny. Post some pics if you want and I am sure the members will help you out with any questions.

danny727 04-17-2019 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by AJ16er (Post 2056879)
For $600 you did good, Danny. Post some pics if you want and I am sure the members will help you out with any questions.

Yeah I know I did I’m very happy with the buy! Yes I’ll be posting pics up of it. I’m just wondering if I should make a new topic when I do?