X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cd player changer in boot

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 05:59 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default cd player changer in boot

Hi: My cd changer suddenly stopped working showing "NO DISKS" on nav window even though there were six in the cartridge. It will eject the cartridge on command from the green button. I removed the entire device (leaving nav screen dvd drive in place) and tried to free up the mechanism and oil the little motors and clean the laser. When put back in the car, the front panel cd button has no effect when pushed. It no longer shows "NO DISKS" of course and now seems to not even know there is a device in the boot. I read through some other postings about codes but those people seemed to have had trouble with the radio itself; mine is fine. Is there a specific procedure for re-coding the original CD changer that came with the car after it has been disconnected and reconnected as is the case here? Thank you. --Tom in Tucson

Old 03-11-2015, 09:15 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Your Radio Head Unit should not have 'forgotten' your original CD Changer.
Are there other units (Phone, Nav???) in the fibre optic 'loop'????
Are they in the correct order????
There are electric wires and a BOF (black optic fibre) cable for the communication network.

They need a specific order.

You can test for a 'flash' of the BOF cable to ensure that the head unit is sending an optic signal. I think the signal is sent each time the head unit is power-up. It has been a LOOOOONG time since I did diagnostics on X-Type ICE so I might be forgetting something.

bob gauff

Old 03-12-2015, 11:09 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have swapped changers and no code reset was required. You did good getting the unit apart without busting it. Oh wait, maybe you did bust it!

I opened my unit and fiddled with it, but didn't see anything serviceable by a shade tree guy like myself. You might find something useful in the "CD changer part number" thread.

It's probably just your typo, but the CD button refers to the single disc player in the dash while the CDC button refers to the changer in the trunk.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:45 AM
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Sorry I can't answer why your radio can't see the changer now, but the usual fix when it shows No Disks is to eject the magazine and remove the disks from it, then put the empty magazine back in, turn the radio on with the empty magazine in, then you can eject it again and put the disks back in. This worked for me after reading about it on the forums.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:34 AM

Thank you for useful info. I got a unit from a salvage yard in Pennsylvania and it works OK so far. Someday when I have nothing to do, I will try the empty cartridge fix.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by thomash85715
Thank you for useful info. I got a unit from a salvage yard in Pennsylvania and it works OK so far. Someday when I have nothing to do, I will try the empty cartridge fix.

You must be a busy man ?? this fix takes all of 60 seconds ...!!

Old 03-20-2015, 12:32 PM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

My X-type autochanger has a similar problem except that it will load the cartridge and eject it, but nothing else. I have looked at the gears inside but they are fine and I suspect electronic failure. Looks like I'll be poking around eBay this evening for a replacement.

Old 03-20-2015, 02:50 PM
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Could it be a faulty magazine? Try borrow one of those before buying a new player, It doesn't have to be a jag magazine particularly, the same magazines were used for alpine units fitted to some BMW's, Mini's & Rolls Royce's to name a few.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:19 AM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Fixed it

Originally Posted by mjtemple
Could it be a faulty magazine? Try borrow one of those before buying a new player, It doesn't have to be a jag magazine particularly, the same magazines were used for alpine units fitted to some BMW's, Mini's & Rolls Royce's to name a few.

Thanks for this. No, the magazine is fine.

In the light of day I took everything to pieces and spotted a hairline crack in the thin ribbon cable connection between the main circuit board and the termination box (which the power and fibre optic cables plug into).

Having fixed this I did a reset as you advised above, which is to put the empty magazine into the system, select 'CD' and wait until the machine cycles from disk 1 to disk 6. Then load the magazine with CDs and play.

Everything now works fine.

Interestingly, my car came with two radio codes. On some other cars I own (not Jags) there is a separate code for the CD autochanger, but not on this X-Type apparently.

Last edited by Bogbrush; 03-21-2015 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Five Speed
You must be a busy man ?? this fix takes all of 60 seconds ...!!
I would have tried this had I seen it in time; I already had ordered the used one before the suggestion had been made. But now the 2nd one is failing after a few days. It came with an empty magazine but is older than the one that came out of my car which is a 2001.5 as it is! I will try the empty read for sure.

The following users liked this post:
Five Speed (03-21-2015)
Old 03-21-2015, 05:53 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Originally Posted by Bogbrush
Interestingly, my car came with two radio codes. On some other cars I own (not Jags) there is a separate code for the CD autochanger, but not on this X-Type apparently.
I would say that the radio head unit was replaced at a Jag Dealer and the NEW radio code card(s) was/were placed along with the OLD card(s).

I usually placed the new ones in the owners manual.

Just a thought or explanation.

bob gauff