Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change Water pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 01:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change Water pump

Hello All
I am about to change the water pump on my 2003 X-type 3.0 petrol. Can someone please help with the following

1/ What is the torque setting for the bolts for the water pump.
2/ How is the belt tensioner set to the correct tension.
3/ Is it recommended to change the two belts which are on the water pump pulley
4/ are any special tools required
5/ Any words of wisdom

Many thanks and regards

Old 02-16-2015, 02:33 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Ian, first off, welcome to the Forums. Lots of good information here. But, please stop by the New Member section and tell us a little bit about yourself. We pride ourselves in being a better car group and as part of this, we like to get to know one another. This will also give you a chance to meet those that make this place what it is.

As for your questions:

1) there is no specific torque for these bolts. Tighten them up evenly and call it good. They just need to be snug.
2) The tensioner has a spring inside of it. You will apply the proper tension by having the belt installed properly. Nothing to adjust.
3) If the belts appear worn, this is a prime time to do the belt change. If they appear to be in good condition, then I would say to leave them alone.
4) No special tools are required to do this job. All you should need is a socket set, a putty knife, some form-a-gasket, and a greenie (like what you would use to clean your dishes with to clean up the mating surface on the block).
5) a) Remove the battery. This will free up a lot of space and make things much easier. b) I apply a little bit of Form-A-Gasket to the paper gasket that comes with the water pump to make sure I get a good seal every time. So, apply a little bit of the gasket stuff to the side of the paper gasket that goes on the pump, lay it down, apply some more to the side going to the block and then install the pump. c) Before removing the belt, loosen the 3 bolts on the pulley that is visible. Trying to break these loose later makes things much more difficult.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:43 AM

Hello Thermo

Many thanks for your very though and complete reply. My water pump is leaking only a bit, so I'm going to hold off changing it until the weather warms up a bit. I have to do these things on my drive as my garage is not big enough to get my car in and work on it.

Thanks for your help.

Very best regards.

PS I'm now going to complete the information on my profile.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Ian, if it is leaking even a little it could just fail without warning. Would hate to see you get stranded. When I noticed mine just starting to leak I made an appointment at my mechanics for less than a week later. It catastrophically failed as I was pulling the car into the repair bay. All of a sudden coolant was gushing everywhere. So, they can go without warning. That was an extremely lucky day for me.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:38 AM

Hello Alfadude

Many thanks for your advise. I will get stuck in and change it as soon as I can get the parts.

Thanks and regards

Ian

Old 02-18-2015, 05:58 AM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

I feel your pain.
My new water pump arrives today (hopefully) and I plan on changing it out tonight also found a small leak as you described.
weather forecast says its going to be -10 deg C
luckily I have just enough room to pull 1/2 the car in the garage
I shall take pics and post here so you know what to expect.

EDIT:- just tracked my pump is will arrive Tomorrow (Thursday)

Last edited by Paulc732; 02-18-2015 at 06:11 AM.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:24 AM

Hello Alphdude, Thermo and Paul

Water pump now changed. It took me about 2 hours. Interestingly, the old pump shows no sign of leaking. I changed it as the garage who servicing my car said it needed replacement. I'll see if I have a leak elsewhere; at least I know the pump is not going to fail anytime soon (I hope).

Paul, I feel like a wimp complaining about the weather; it's +8 degree here, so I did it on the drive over a drain, saved worrying about catching the coolant.

Thanks again to all.

Best regards

Ian

Old 02-20-2015, 11:43 AM

Glad to hear all went well.
It was -18 deg C here last night so was a no go for me. Its going to be -6 tonight (heat wave) so tonight is the night, I have to drive to the airport Saturday so it has to be tonight. I will still take and post pics for future readers of this post.
It is illegal here to put coolant down the storm drain but the local parts store takes it for free

Last edited by Paulc732; 02-20-2015 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-21-2015, 04:40 AM

Hello Paul
I guess by now, the job is completed; I hope that it went as easily as mine.In most urban areas in the UK the storm water drains are connected to the foul sewer, also our concentrations will be much less than yours.I guess technically, it is also not allowed here, but there is never any publicity or anything against it.As far as a parts store taking it for free, in the UK that would never happen.
Good luck, best regards
Ian

Old 02-21-2015, 08:15 AM

Job went well very easy to do.
Way to cold (12F ) to take pictures ran out of propane for my heater sorry but did find this if anyone needs help

The following users liked this post:
bracester (02-23-2015)