Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   X-Type ( X400 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/)
-   -   Cold Weather Prop Shaft Whine - FIXED $130 FAQ (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/cold-weather-prop-shaft-whine-fixed-%24130-faq-63827/)

dbfinlay 11-21-2011 10:52 PM

Cold Weather Prop Shaft Whine - FIXED $130 FAQ

I've had this problem for YEARS and pursued everything possible to make it go away. Cold weather, low speed (20-40mph). Always happened when the temperature was below 40 degreess farenheit.

My car was still under the Select Edition Certified Warranty back in 2007. They put in a new prop shaft and differential. They put in the noise barrier tunnel, weights, everything. NOT fixed. This Year (January) my dealer inspected and confirmed the prop shaft in my car is the latest and greatest. We tried the solutions showing in this forum for greasing it. Still not fixed. The put "ears" on the prop shaft and confirmed to me the noise is definitely coming from the new prop shaft, and they said there wasn't any more they could do except try another prop shaft. I was not going to pay for that when the first one didn't work.

Well I lived with the noise for years until recently. My shifter (standard shift) had always had a little movement to it. For example when you are in a low gear at low RPM, lift-off the throttle and back on and you could see the shift lever move a bit. Well, it suddenly began to move much further. It was quickly diagnosed as a rear motor mount (Jaguar calls it the "Roll Restrictor"). $130 installed by the dealer. The shifter is now tight and firm. It does not move at all ... no matter how much prompting.

And now the great news! It's been below freezing here now, and finally ... no more "prop shaft" noise! I suspect the loose mount allowed pressure on the system that caused a harmonic vibration in the cold. The Prop Shaft was the source of the noise, but it was not the cause!

When you are having this looked at, also have them check the subframe mounting bolts. My subframe was loose from the chassis. They tightened and re-torqued the bolts. The point is, make sure nothing is allowing pressure against the prop shaft.

Cheers,
David

blaydes99 11-22-2011 11:06 AM

Good report, glad you got it fixed. I think this is something we should keep an eye on and see if this fix works for others.

JimC64 11-22-2011 06:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 168523

Hi there David and thanks for coming back here nad telling us of your fix :icon_beerchug:

This, as I'm sure you know is a really common problem on the X type. I'm going to FAQ this and include it in the X type FAQ section for others to check when this iisues arises!

Thanks

dbfinlay 11-23-2011 09:09 AM

More Details

I looked-up the service Details. Jaguar calls this Motor Mount the "Roll Restrictor".

David

Canuck07 02-15-2013 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by dbfinlay (Post 431540)
I've had this problem for YEARS and pursued everything possible to make it go away. Cold weather, low speed (20-40mph). Always happened when the temperature was below 40 degreess farenheit.

My car was still under the Select Edition Certified Warranty back in 2007. They put in a new prop shaft and differential. They put in the noise barrier tunnel, weights, everything. NOT fixed. This Year (January) my dealer inspected and confirmed the prop shaft in my car is the latest and greatest. We tried the solutions showing in this forum for greasing it. Still not fixed. The put "ears" on the prop shaft and confirmed to me the noise is definitely coming from the new prop shaft, and they said there wasn't any more they could do except try another prop shaft. I was not going to pay for that when the first one didn't work.

Well I lived with the noise for years until recently. My shifter (standard shift) had always had a little movement to it. For example when you are in a low gear at low RPM, lift-off the throttle and back on and you could see the shift lever move a bit. Well, it suddenly began to move much further. It was quickly diagnosed as a rear motor mount (Jaguar calls it the "Roll Restrictor"). $130 installed by the dealer. The shifter is now tight and firm. It does not move at all ... no matter how much prompting.

And now the great news! It's been below freezing here now, and finally ... no more "prop shaft" noise! I suspect the loose mount allowed pressure on the system that caused a harmonic vibration in the cold. The Prop Shaft was the source of the noise, but it was not the cause!

When you are having this looked at, also have them check the subframe mounting bolts. My subframe was loose from the chassis. They tightened and re-torqued the bolts. The point is, make sure nothing is allowing pressure against the prop shaft.

Cheers,
David

Thanks for the post on the Drive shaft bearing problem. I am about to have mine replaced on a 2007 Jag X series next week and will have them look into this possibility.

Thanks again Gerry