X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Weather - Tranny Noise?

Old 02-20-2008, 08:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Weather - Tranny Noise?

I have a question for the people who live in a cold climate... I am in Wisconsin and it is WAY below freezing here, constantly. Singel digit temps (Farenheit, so -15 Celcius or lower for those in metric countries). When I start the car it idles quietly, purring like a happy kitten. As soon as I start driving, there is this "whine" which sounds like it might come from the tranny. After I drive the car for a few miles and the engine and tranny warm up, the noise goes away. I have been told by my mechanic that this is noting unusual in cold weather.

Has anyone had this same issue? I looked on the boards and found people with a similar problem, but I couldn't determine from the posts whether they have the same type of noise I am hearing.

Thanks!
K.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:03 PM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: Cold Weather - Tranny Noise?

I will leave that one for Jag Genius as he is up north in the cold......lol

Balmy 80 degrees in FL btw

Old 02-20-2008, 10:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: kandA

I have a question for the people who live in a cold climate... I am in Wisconsin and it is WAY below freezing here, constantly. Singel digit temps (Farenheit, so -15 Celcius or lower for those in metric countries). When I start the car it idles quietly, purring like a happy kitten. As soon as I start driving, there is this "whine" which sounds like it might come from the tranny. After I drive the car for a few miles and the engine and tranny warm up, the noise goes away. I have been told by my mechanic that this is noting unusual in cold weather.

Has anyone had this same issue? I looked on the boards and found people with a similar problem, but I couldn't determine from the posts whether they have the same type of noise I am hearing.

Thanks!
K.
I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. However, the only time I heard the noise was when...

1. I had my clutch done
2. I had my t-case changed

Other than on those exact days, I've never heard that noise again. It sounded like "buuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr", then it went away.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  6.3 KBName:  X6JYMSAAB5.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  6.1 KBName:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  6.4 KB

Hey there KandA.........I had the axact same noise you describe from the tranny.
I live in Glasgow UK ..........can get pretty cold.....lol
Anyways, the noise only ever happened in the cold days, morinings or when the car had been idel for a while.
Once started and driving, for the first 5 maybe 10 minutes there was a terrible whine off ther until she warmed up.
Never ever happened in the warmer months

Jim

Old 02-21-2008, 03:52 PM

Got lucky today... temp here is a balmy 22F. Compared to the past few days, that's a pretty nice day. Good day to figure out whether the weather is indeed the culprit... why yes, it does seem to be. No whining noises in the tranny today. So I think this is nothing major to worry about, unless it starts happening on warmer days also. For now, I'll just blame Frosty for it.

Later!
K.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:00 PM
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

yea our loaner cars in the morning here.. -10,-20 there center bearings are noisy for like 5-10 minutes..

Old 02-24-2008, 07:06 AM

Bojangles, you make a VERY valid point. Even if 1,000,000 jags make that same noise in cold weather, I have a hard time believing a new one would make that same noise, so something can -sand should- be done about it.

Thanks!
K.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:45 PM
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

I've had this problem for YEARS. My car was still under the Select Certified warranty in 2007. They put in a new prop shaft and differential. They put in the noise tunnel, weights, everything. NOT fixed. My dealer inspected and confirmed the new prop shaft is the latest and greatest just this year. The put "ears" on the prop shaft and confirmed to me the noise is definitely coming from the new prop shaft, and they said there wasn't any more they could do.

Well I lived with the noise for years until recently. My shifter (standard shift) had always had a little movement to it. For example when you are in a low gear at low RPM, lift-off the throttle and back on and you could see the shift lever move a bit. Well, it suddenly began to move much further. It was quickly diagnosed as a rear motor mount (I forget the exact description, they had some kind of name for it). $130 installed by the dealer. The shifter is now tight and firm. it does not move at all ... with any kind of prompting.

And now the great news. It's been below freezing here, and finally ... no more noise! I suspect the loose motor mount put excess pressure on the system that caused a harmonic vibration in the cold. The Prop Shaft was the clear source of the noise, but it was not the Cause!

When you are having this looked at, also have them check the subframe mounting bolts. My subframe was loose from the body. The point is, make sure nothing is allowing pressure against the prop shaft.

Cheers,
David

Old 11-21-2011, 11:04 PM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Default noise

03 X type 2.5 auto AWD

When I bought mine(used) it had a harmonic vibration. Dealer replaced drive shaft. It always had a drive line growl (cross between a whine and growl) louder in the colder temps more at low speed.Sound like transfer case. Hasn't changed in 92k so I'm not going to worry about it.