Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   X-Type ( X400 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/)
-   -   Common causes of coolant in the engine valley? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/common-causes-coolant-engine-valley-212120/)

XtypeHI 12-26-2018 03:42 PM

Common causes of coolant in the engine valley?

I've got a pool of coolant slowly forming in the valley of my engine (2002 X-type 3.0l manual trans). It's towards the front (belt end) of the engine, under where a water neck enters into the head and block. It's pretty tough to see down there, but I'm not certain the coolant is actually coming from that neck and like to address all possible sources of the leak at once while I've got the intake off (I recall there's at least one coolant pipe under there too). Does any know if there is a common sources for leaks in this area, and what parts I should have on hand before I start the job? I'm assuming two o-rings for the neck but I don't have a feeling for what else is down there. Thanks!

jluvzcarz 01-06-2019 01:30 PM

XtypHI,

I see this post is a few weeks old and not sure if you have tackled the issue yet. I am having the same issue with my wifes '04 X-type. In searching the forum I found that most of the time it is the O-Ring that is for the water outlet pipe that is right where you are describing. It is the one with the single bolt holding the flange. I can confirm that is the point of my leak as I placed a small inspection mirror directly under the neck and it dripped right on to the mirror. I am curious as to whether you dove in yet. I have the parts but have not taken it apart yet. Unfortunately it is not warm here in CT and I wanted to change the upper O-2 sensor at the the radiator side due to a code. This proved to be a frustrating non effort as I was unable to get the sensor to budge. (my pro socket isn't deep enough and the one I bought at the parts store is junk and just flexes) I decided not to tackle the leak as I didn't want to be doubly disappointed this weekend.

I would be curious if you had a go at the leak yet. If not I'm probably going to go at it next weekend and will let you know how it goes

jluvz

XtypeHI 01-06-2019 02:29 PM

I haven’t actually tackled the job yet. After I cleaned up the little pool of coolant it hasn’t reformed yet, so my leak is quite small and I’ve been putting it off a bit. I’m assuming the main task if removing the intake manifold to get to it. Have you had occasion to do this yet? It’s well document and a bi\t time consuming especially the first time but not hard. I know working on your car in the middle of winter is no fun though. You could put in a half a bottle of the liquid bars leaks to see if that reduces the leak to an acceptable level until warmer weather – I know not everyone is a fan of additives like this, but this is a pretty proven product in terms of not causing harm that some manufacturers even use on the assembly line. Can I ask what parts you ordered for your leak repair? I should probably go ahead and get them on hand

For the O2 sensor, I know a lot of people on here know a lot more about the codes than me, part are you sure it’s the O2 sensor itself – they seem pretty reliable and a lot of time it sounds like it’s a vacuum leak and the O2 sense code is just a symptom of that. If you’re pull the intake manifold for your leak, that’s great time to replace all the intake manifold and IMT seals, and also check your break boost and PCV hose. What code are you getting?

jluvzcarz 01-06-2019 08:09 PM

Perhaps we are talking about 2 different things. you shouldn't have to remove the intake to change the o-ring for the coolant outlet pipe. it goes into a main fitting and yes there are several other rings in that housing that goes into intake, but im going to do just the one ring and see how I fare. if its not broken don't mess with it is my mantra :-) .

As for the O2 sensor i have a hard code for that sensor that comes back when i clear it. Our 04 only has 45k miles on it so its pretty clean but that sensor is going to be a bear. i'm probably going to have to get extreme with it but mama needed the car for work this week so i had to admit defeat and put it back together for now.

i will probably tackle the leak this week so i will let you know how it goes.

XtypeHI 01-09-2019 12:06 PM

I took a quick look under the hood as saw what you mean, for the pipe going into the neck it doesn't look like you have to remove much at all. I think my issues is perhaps where the neck enters the block (or something else buried down there, I remember seeing a coolant line running under the intake too). Even to remove the neck itself it looks like you might be able to get aware without pulling the intake though the fuel rail will make it pretty tight. Good luck with the job!

jluvzcarz 01-14-2019 11:38 AM

XtypeHi

Well after successfully getting the O-2 Sensor out finally this weekend, I decided to tackle my leak and time will tell if it was a complete success. You could do this job easily. The outlet pipe can be removed very easily. 1. Drain the antifreeze. 2. I removed the small vent hose, and the hose that runs across the intake. I left the larger main hose on in my case. 3.Remove the 8mm bolt and the pipe came out easily. 4. The O-ring was definitely dry from heat. Removed the old ring and cleaned both the pipe and housing with a cloth. (both the pipe and inlet were clean so no scratching!) 5. Based on another post I saw on the forum I replaced the O-Ring with a #17 that I bought at the local big box. (2.50 for a 10 pack) (Note- The #17 is actually a bit smaller in diameter but went on okay. I thought for a minute about not using it but once on it looked okay and sat just above the groove. I decided to give it a go) 6. Put a light finger wipe of white lithium on the ring to help with insertion and put it back together. 7. Refill with clean antifreeze and fired it up.

As of right now I have no leak but won't declare it a total success until all residual spillage etc.. burns off and I can confirm the no leak/smell after a week of her driving it but I am pleased with the result. I checked before I left for work this morning and the tank is dead on so I am hoping for the best! (The pic below is of the pipe removed with the old ring)
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...dc43b3580e.jpg

XtypeHI 01-14-2019 02:36 PM

Thanks for posting the follow up and the pic, as well as posting the size of the o-ring that worked for you - always tough to decide if you need to order the Jag part or if something more common will work for something like this. Congrats on getting that and the O2 sensor sorted out.

jluvzcarz 01-24-2019 08:10 PM

Good a week later

Just follow up. A week or so later the X Type is leak free. For anyone trying to figure out this type of leak I can tell you that not only was the intake valley wet but also it had a gotten to a point where there would be a decent puddle under the car below the crank area. For me it has been solved with just the o-ring as described above. It might be worth giving this a shot first before diving into the intake.

jluvzcarz 04-26-2019 09:17 AM

One more update for those having an antifreeze leak in this area. The Mrs. has been driving the car daily since the repair described above and as of today the car continues to be leak free 4 months later.

Mr rx-7 tt 08-06-2021 01:20 AM

Oh my! This might be what I am smelling and I thought it was an oil leak?

jluvzcarz 08-06-2021 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Mr rx-7 tt (Post 2424998)
Oh my! This might be what I am smelling and I thought it was an oil leak?

Well it has been awhile since I posted about this but can tell you it continues to work just fine. If you are trying to see if this is your issue just shine a flashlight down into the area below the pipe pictured. In my case you could see a little pool of antifreeze. Once I found it I put my finger under the pipe and sure enough it came away wet. Not a horrible job if you DIY.