X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Connecting rod - just cracked Yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 01:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Connecting rod - just cracked Yesterday

I'm Damjan from Croatia, and I have Jag X-Type 3.0 Sport for just over 3 years. I signed in to find some usefull informations, and to find the best way to fix my problem - just yesterday my rod cracked - it happend while driving, and car just stopped. Hope I'll fix that soon because I just love my Jag. Btw - I'm 27 jears old, and sorry for bad english.
So my question is: can the jags crankshaft be polished? Is there any thicker bearings (normal, 1st, 2nd, 3rd grade)? If is, where to buy it? Why does tih happen (my friend who's mechanic said to me that X-type is wery sensitive for oil)? What's the best oil for it? What's the best way to fix my problem - change the engine or just replace the broken parts? Does anybody got just a short block to sell?

Thank's!!!

Old 07-29-2010, 05:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread might be better placed in the technical section.

Your English is actually not too bad. You are very understandable.

As a new owner, I wish I could be of more help, but at least I can bump this thread back up to the top.

Good luck!

Old 07-29-2010, 12:18 PM

The crank can be turned if the journal is not scored too deeply. There are over sized bearings available for the 3.0 engine. They are available in 0.25mm and 0.5mm oversized. I just went through repairing my engine that spun a rod bearing. By them time I had the crank ground purchased new bearings, oil pump gaskets and rod I spent nearly as much as as I could have gotten a used engine for and that is not accounting anything for my time. I spent about $1600 US on parts and crank work. If I had the process to do again I would find a good used engine and just do the engine swap.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by dstolp
The crank can be turned if the journal is not scored too deeply. There are over sized bearings available for the 3.0 engine. They are available in 0.25mm and 0.5mm oversized. I just went through repairing my engine that spun a rod bearing. By them time I had the crank ground purchased new bearings, oil pump gaskets and rod I spent nearly as much as as I could have gotten a used engine for and that is not accounting anything for my time. I spent about $1600 US on parts and crank work. If I had the process to do again I would find a good used engine and just do the engine swap.
That's the problem here in the U.S. ... the cost to do something that requires much labor drives the cost way up to the point where it's not worth doing.

Not sure how labor rates compare in Croatia, but if people are hungry for money, maybe it makes sense to have the work done. Plus, with dstolp's help with the oversize bearing sizes that are available, you can better plan what to do.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:13 AM

Here in Croatia, the labor isn't problem...problem are spare parts. The prices are 3 time bigger than in US or UK. For the labor i wan't pay a penny...I'm making a web site for my mechanic so will compensate that. I'm planing to put a complete short block from S-Type, so just wondering...will it fit to the X-Type (engines are the same as I know - only difference is posittioning in engine bay and intake mainfold). Or am I wrong???

Also I heard that X-Type is very sensitive for oli...so please can anybody give me some recommendation for good (best) engine oil to put in my ride?

Thanks!

Last edited by damjanzg; 07-30-2010 at 03:18 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:49 AM

I am unable to offer good advice on this. I've had my car for four days, now, and do not possess enough experience with it to help.

On page 167 of my owner's manual, it says the "preferred" oil is 5W-30 with specs meeting "API SL/EC and ILSAC GF-3."

My opinion is most any major oil brand will work just fine ... Jaguar recommends Castrol.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:39 PM

Have just one more question!!! I found a brand new engine (o km or miles) for 3.500 $. Should I buy it? Is it too much?

Old 07-31-2010, 04:33 PM

Sounds about right (how little I know) ... I suppose.

Depends on how the rest of the car is. Is it in good shape? Are you going to keep it a long time?

Old 07-31-2010, 07:04 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

damjanzg, as long as you are running 5W-30 oil meeting the requirements called out in the owners manual (which is all oils here in the US that can be bought at the store), then you are good. In other countries, you may find that there are lower quality oils that you may want to avoid. But, like others have said, as long as you can find an oil with an API rating, odds are, that will be good enough. There has been a lot of discussion whether to use standard oil or to use full synthetic oil. Both worth for the Jag engine, it is a matter of whether you think that full synthetic oil provides more protection and/or better mileage. From what we have seen on this site from reports people have made, the difference in mileage is very little (maybe 0.1 or 0.2 MPG).

As for whether to rebuild your current engine or get the newer engine, I would say to go with the newer engine to say on trying to find all the parts since finding parts is going to be your most difficult part. Might cost a little more, but having all the parts when you start will save you lots of lost time with the car.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:44 AM

Thanks guys...I'm planning to keep may jag for at least 4 more years...so i think i'll buy a brand new engine!

Old 08-01-2010, 06:29 AM

You could keep the old motor for parts.

Or, you could sell off good, useable parts to help reduce your total cost.

Good luck!

Old 08-01-2010, 11:22 AM

I'll post some pictures during the process!