X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Day 1: Rusty rotors and Caliper FAIL!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 08:18 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Day 1: Rusty rotors and Caliper FAIL!

After replacing my wifes radiator I was able to dig into my new 2002 2.5L 5spd. I went straight for the rear breaks, rotors, and sensors, but quickly got defeated by rust. Couldn't even get the rotors off dues to a seized bolt.

The wheels were rusted to the rotors, I needed to take a rubber mallet to the inner wheel. here is what I found!

Then I got the caliper off and I was shocked at what I found! I can't believe I drove this car 20 miles home like this!

The break pads were meaty but they disintegrated when I got them off. Now i am trying to get the rotors off but I have a seized bolt on the caliper mount. I will let more break free soak in over night before I just cut an drill that thing out!

On a side note I was able to really get a close look at what I am dealing with. only 2 new issues, slight oil pan leak dripping onto exhaust, rusty brake cable, and more surface rust then I would like to see on some rear end parts.

Attached Thumbnails Day 1: Rusty rotors and Caliper FAIL!-rustyrotors.jpg   Day 1: Rusty rotors and Caliper FAIL!-rustycaliper.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Usmc_Kak:
jimborino (05-17-2014), JimC64 (05-18-2014)
Old 05-17-2014, 08:38 PM
Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

Looks like you've got your work cut out for you. At least the most difficult part is getting them off...

Just think how much nicer it'll drive with new calipers, pads and rotors.

The following users liked this post:
Usmc_Kak (05-17-2014)
Old 05-17-2014, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by ltmax
Looks like you've got your work cut out for you. At least the most difficult part is getting them off...

Just think how much nicer it'll drive with new calipers, pads and rotors.
Ya thanks, I am actually going to try and salvage the rotors and rebuild and paint the calipers. I want to save money for what might be a more expensive repair.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:01 PM
Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

I'm with you on the rotors but any time I tried to rebuild a caliper with that much rust on the piston it was problematic.

Used calipers are only $30 on E-bay, that might be a cheap alternative to consider.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:27 PM

Thanks, we will see, I guess I will just have to prioritize once they are all off. I never rebuilt one before.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:08 PM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

I think, emphasis on think, the rebuild kit comes with a new piston? Getting the old one out should be fun...

good luck. I also have those slotted and drilled rotors from eBay, they are worth the 200 bucks. I got mine from Callahan auto, just like the movie Tommy boy ha (and that's a big reason I got it from them haha). The pads they sent aren't bad at all and hardly any brake dust.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:30 AM
Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts

Many guys on here, including me, went with the drilled and slotted rotors. They are in a kit with ceramic pads on ebay. My old rotors were in a mess like yours. Used a FBH and got them off. Cleaned the whole mess up and painted the calipers. They look and work 100% now.
The kit was surprisingly cheap. Be careful, the later model cars had different size rotors. Here's a link to an example on ebay.
Complete Drilled Slotted Brake Rotors Carbon Fiber Brake Pads E8676 | eBay

The decals I also found on ebay.

Attached Thumbnails Day 1: Rusty rotors and Caliper FAIL!-file-24.jpg  

Last edited by flyrr100; 05-18-2014 at 04:58 AM.
Usmc_Kak (05-18-2014)
Old 05-18-2014, 08:56 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

I can tell you from experience that the caliper rebuild kits DO NOT!!!! come with a new piston. They only have the wearables (ie, rubber boots and seals). Also keep in mind that if you do decide to rebuild the caliper, you will need a 14mm pentasocket (a 5 sided socket) to remove the locking bolt. I have rebuilt my calipers a few times. If you look, I even have a write up on how to do it.

Usmc_Kak (05-18-2014)
Old 05-18-2014, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
I can tell you from experience that the caliper rebuild kits DO NOT!!!! come with a new piston. They only have the wearables (ie, rubber boots and seals). Also keep in mind that if you do decide to rebuild the caliper, you will need a 14mm pentasocket (a 5 sided socket) to remove the locking bolt. I have rebuilt my calipers a few times. If you look, I even have a write up on how to do it.
thanks Thermo it was your posts that put the rebuild option in my head, I havn't looked at the details yet though. Sounds as if this is not a great option here. I will pull the rest of the wheels off and see what the situation is. I would like to get through the first 2 weeks without spending more then $250 on fluids and getting this ABS code cleared. Seems like that is too optimistic.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 391 Likes on 288 Posts

just a thought on ebay i bought two new calipers $89 each i bolted them on and away i went ,then i ordered a 14 pentasocket and rebuilt my old ones for a back up in my spare time

Attached Thumbnails Day 1: Rusty rotors and Caliper FAIL!-output_zpsegnlmtal.jpg   Day 1: Rusty rotors and Caliper FAIL!-20130527_121745_zpsf3e27814.jpg  
Old 05-18-2014, 02:03 PM

It has gone from bad to Worse! I got all the rotors off, the front calipers are questionable. I removed the Rear ABS sensor and the sensor rings on the back CV joint are gone. Well one is gone the other is still there but its broke and holding on by a rusted thread! I wanted to take the hubs off and see if they need to be replaced but my torque driver set wont fit in between the hub and hub assembly to get the hubs off! So i am going to need to pick up a set of long torque keys. I am finding that many bolts are rusted to near failure on the exterior including those torque bolts. I hope I can even get them off without having to drill them out.

There is a good amount of rust on other parts. I might look into cleaning and painting some of these. It looks like someone had done this before on some spots. The begining of this journey is off to a rough start.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

stick with it usmc........it'll be worth it in the end!

We're not big over here on turning rotors / discs, for what they cost new now I'm not sure its worth it?
Especially as most of the price will be labour, and you're doing the job yourself?

Might it be worth it to do it right and be able to forget about it for the foreseeable future?

Good luck whichever way you decide to go and hope to hear.....

Old 05-18-2014, 09:23 PM
Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Hang on Sloopy!

You'll persevere and triumph!

Old 05-21-2014, 07:36 AM

I bit the bullet and ordered new calipers, new rotors, and new pads. I also ordered the speed sensor rings from the guy on ebay over seas. If I can get that to work then I saved replaces 2 outer cv joints. I know there are some more hidden issues awaiting me. But I will handle them as they come.

I think i got some good deals,

about $200 for all 4 rebuilt calipers after returning the core. (rockauto.com)
$100 for all four drilled and slotted rotors

I figure with new calipers and rotors, If I need to access the cv joint again down the road, It will only take me 10 mins get non rusted parts off, so the time I save will be worth it too.

I hope I get this stuff in by the holiday weekend otherwise she is going to spend another week perched on her jack stands!

JimC64 (05-21-2014)
Old 05-21-2014, 10:14 AM
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

I rebuilt lots of motorcycle calipers, never did car calipers because they were cheap. Not for Jaguar. I would take them apart and clean inside, no big deal.
The only problem is usually damaged rubber dust boot.

Usmc_Kak (05-21-2014)
Old 05-21-2014, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by car5car
I rebuilt lots of motorcycle calipers, never did car calipers because they were cheap. Not for Jaguar. I would take them apart and clean inside, no big deal.
The only problem is usually damaged rubber dust boot.

Did you see the picture!? they were shot, I pulled one and tried to start taking it apart to see about rebuilding, and I snapped a torx drive socket with my air gun strying to get the torx screw out. I priced the rebuild plus piston and its not worth it.

For aprox $50 each (after core refund) I think I did damn good relpacing the calipers with rebuilds from rockauto.com

JimC64 (05-21-2014)