X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disconnect fuel lines from fuel filter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 07:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Disconnect fuel lines from fuel filter?

Okay, I just went and got a fuel filter for my 2003 X type and I've never seen these type of lines connecting to the fuel filter. There seems to be some kind of release mechanism on the ends of the fuel lines, each different. At the risk of sounding ignorant how do I detach these lines from the fuel filter? Also, is there anything I need to do prior to detaching these lines, that is, releasing pressure in the lines, disconnecting the battery, etc.?

Old 01-20-2014, 08:01 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

Jaguila, yes, it is advisable to depressurize the lines as much as possible. Most people simply pull the fuse for the fuel pump and then start up the car. The car will normally run for a few moments and then die out on you.

As for not covering yourself in fuel, here are a few helpful hints in doing this.

1) pull the covers off of the new filter and have them standing by so as you pull the line off of the filter, you can toss the cap on to the old filter and trap the fuel inside the filter.

2) as for removing the fuel lines, I am getting 2 different vehicles in my head right now. part of me is thinking that you simply have to depress the 2 buttons on the flared ends of the fuel lines as you are pulling on the fuel lines. If it isn't that, then what you need is a "fuel filter removal tool". It will look like an X with half moon pieces on the end. What you end up doing is sliding the tool so the half moons are placed on the fuel filter (with the half moons pointed at the fuel line fitting) and then while pushing the fuel line further on to the fuel filter, you push the tool into the fuel line fitting. You should feel it slip past some spring clips (may need to rotate the tool around some to make this happen). Once the tool is past the spring clips, use the tool to push the fuel line off of the filter until you feel it hit something (there is a raised lip on the filter as can be seen on the new filter), then you can pull the fuel line off completely.

3) if at all possible, leave the fuel filter bolted to the car. This frees up a hand so you are not having to hold the filter, push on the tool as you are also trying to hold on to the fuel line.

4) when jacking up the back of the car, jack up both sides of the car so the fuel filter sits level. This will minimize the amount of fuel that will want to leak out.

Once you do this a single time, the other times will go much, much quicker.