Sponsored by:

Do not mix HP2009 oil filter with regular oil *

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 06:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts
Thumbs down I was told: Do not mix HP2009 oil filter with regular oil *

EDIT:

K & N have now stated that if the manufacture recommends a particular oil for your vehicle and K & N recommends the oil filter for that spec, their products will be suitable for that oil.

Hi fellow members, I feel you should be aware of the possibilities from shopping online when you are relying on information which would influence why indeed you bought in the 1st place.

I really think this may help many members and if it does, I am happy!!

I have yet to change oil and filter yet as I had an interesting experience with K & N filters.
I waited to get my HP2009 filter and was horrified to discover that on opening the package I realised that all was not well.
I had originally purchased castrol gtx 5w30 regular oil and then ordered the K & N filter not realising that NOW according to K & N, they do NOT advise me using the said filter as its only for SYNTHETIC!!

I emailed K & N and they said they would contact their head office in the US, but I am concerned as I only found this out after I had received the filter and read the advertising on the box.
I now am awaiting a PS 2009 filter which can be used with regular or synthetic oil.

The thing that concerns me is that K & N did not say the HP2009 filter cannot be used in conjunction with regular oil on their website and they only said
"CAN be used with modern synthetic or part synthetic blend media." on their site.

But it does say on the box "Specifically designed for use with modern synthetic or part synthetic blend media".

K & N are gonna get back to me as I now believe that many road users could have the wrong filter on their car.
The funny thing is I only acted on advice from my partners brother who suggested I check further when I realised there may be an issue.

I have to add a big thanks to Eurocarparts (Ebay store), who refunded me and allowed me to choose another correct filter!

I am awaiting K & N changing their advertising,
Regards, Stu
and if it stops raining and I get the new filter,
I can change my oil ** Bingo by Jingo!

Last edited by Stuart Beattie; 01-28-2014 at 04:52 AM. Reason: omission
Old 01-27-2014, 09:50 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Interesting info Stuart. I hope to see some further clarification from K&N as why a given filter cannot be used with conventional oil. Never heard of such a thing.

The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (01-27-2014)
Old 01-27-2014, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member

EDIT!

K & N have now stated that if the manufacture recommends a particular oil for your vehicle and K & N recommends the oil filter for that spec, their products will be suitable for that oil.

It's hard to believe Mikey,
I was astounded to see the writing o n the box and because I received it late in the evening, it was only the following morning I was advised NOT to use it!

The big difference between the HP2009 (Synthetic) and the PS2009 which both are deemed suitable for the V6 2.5L and the 3.0L are majorly different and I am still surprised no-one seems to have noticed it and I suspect certain members of this forum may be unawares?

Of course there is the washable oil filter by K & N as well but nice as it seems, it is financially not an option.

I am aware though of certain views held and I agree with such, that believe that the oil particles are smaller within the synthetic and part synthetic blended and as such particular vehicles are prone to major leaks and in so, may face trouble ahead!

I am still stunned and will follow up as soon as I have that clarification but the email I received from Don Marshall at K & N Europe is :

"Thank you for your enquiry. It is advisable that HP-2009 is not used with this type of oil". Regards"

And I have asked them to recheck the wording on their website so as not to mislead any customers further!

I certainly don't wish to cause alarm but I certainly wa because without the rain, I could easily have ignored the writing on the box thinking "ah but it was recommended!"

They have indeed apologised in a latter email as well, for any inconvenience but if I had fitted it with the GTX oil, phew, it doesn't bare thinking about!

Plus, it WAS an inconvenience, as I waited for the post, had to then wait overnight and then to wait for the replacement, it's just reassuring that Eurocarparts were so respectful and they didn't quibble when I had an issue.

Last edited by Stuart Beattie; 01-28-2014 at 04:32 AM. Reason: correction thanks! :)
Old 01-28-2014, 04:00 AM
Veteran Member
Default K & n update

On all of our oil filters you can run a full synthetic or mineral base oil or even synthetic blend. If the oil our customer is using is recommended by the automotive manufacture our filter will work.

The above quote from Bert Heck is an indication that we can use all K & N filters so I have been given the wrong advice from the UK sales team.

I am now asking why I was given that advice.

Regards, Stu

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart Beattie:
GGG (01-28-2014), Norri (01-28-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 04:08 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Stuart,

Thanks for both noticing the warning and then clarifying that it is wrong.

The Winter nights in Perth must be seriously long when you're reduced to reading the oil box for entertainment!

Graham

Stuart Beattie (01-28-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 04:29 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you Graham!

Ah t'is the story of my life, someone irks me up by sending me "up the garden path, or on some sort of non-ending red-herring venture!"

Then someone comes along with brains and I then have to rediscover my diplomatic attributes and retrack to spread the word!!

Spreading the right word is great gospel but I am at a loss to why I was given the incorrect info in the 1st place, there were, I believe a few glimpses of dry weather last week when I wanted to do my oil and filter changeout and now I'm waiting for a different K & N filter and it turns out I could have used the HP2009 after all.

I will edit my other post as well, cheers!!! Stu

Old 01-28-2014, 05:32 AM
Veteran Member
Thumbs down Further update *

I am amazed to recieve this reply from K & N UK sales:

Hi
I have asked K&N in USA and you have seen the answer below. The reason I asked K&N in USA was for further clarification. It has only taken a few days to obtain this further information and in the meantime I gave a reply of caution which I am sure you will agree is the wisest thing to do. In my experience most companies will take much more than a few days even to acknowledge receipt of a query. It will probably take a few days more for K&N USA to change the web details. The advice that I offered initially was based on three other mechanical engineers opinions which was "If in doubt"............
Something has and is being done.
Regards

This person originally advised me not to use it.
I think he could have informed me re the info above. He did not say if in doubt and quite clearly should have acknowledged me and waited or the correct answer, I hope you guys agree?

Regards, Stu

Old 01-28-2014, 09:08 AM
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart Beattie
I am amazed to recieve this reply from K & N UK sales:

Hi
I have asked K&N in USA and you have seen the answer below. The reason I asked K&N in USA was for further clarification. It has only taken a few days to obtain this further information and in the meantime I gave a reply of caution which I am sure you will agree is the wisest thing to do. In my experience most companies will take much more than a few days even to acknowledge receipt of a query. It will probably take a few days more for K&N USA to change the web details. The advice that I offered initially was based on three other mechanical engineers opinions which was "If in doubt"............
Something has and is being done.
Regards

This person originally advised me not to use it.
I think he could have informed me re the info above. He did not say if in doubt and quite clearly should have acknowledged me and waited or the correct answer, I hope you guys agree?

Regards, Stu
Sounds like he simply doesn't want to admit he was wrong. You are correct though, you should have been told to use caution while they were waiting for the reply instead of being fed blatantly incorrect information.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by GGG

The Winter nights in Perth must be seriously long when you're reduced to reading the oil box for entertainment!

Graham
Hey- I resemble that comment!

Being that nights in our Perth are no only long but very cold (-31*C) I did a little digging. The phrase used by K&N and quoted above by Stuart "Specifically designed for use with modern synthetic or part synthetic blend media" is vague in it's intent. I believe they meant that the filter was developed to be compatible with all types of oil including synthetics (as though this would be unusual or an earth shattering development), but instead created a sentence that can be interpreted to mean that regular oil cannot be used.

A quick call to K&N should have resolved the issue, but I fear we live in an age where many front line customer service people have little experience to answer anything more complex than 'how do I open the box?'. Pretty disappointing. I'm sure that some of them have to stop themselves from asking 'would you like fries with that?'

Glad it all worked out.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:44 PM
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
A quick call to K&N should have resolved the issue, but I fear we live in an age where many front line customer service people have little experience to answer anything more complex than 'how do I open the box?'. Pretty disappointing. I'm sure that some of them have to stop themselves from asking 'would you like fries with that?'
My thoughts exactly, well said

Old 01-28-2014, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member

Good news fellas,

I now have the filter so i have no excuses tomorrow, my babe will be done... er depending on the weather and thank you for the back up all of you!!
Ps, when it's wet outside GRAHAM, is it illegal to derive pleasure from reading boxes!!

Mieaow, the secret is out, I LOVE BOXES!!! ha ha

Old 02-17-2014, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member
Cool Job Done! last word with K & N

Finally Gents,
Thank you to emaraszek, Mikey and Graham (GGG!)

I wish to add as a final statement that I have no issue with K&N Filters as the product is magic, however I shall not be speaking to Don Marshall at the UK sales department again as he failed to relay the WHOLE MESSAGE TO BERT HECK IN THE USA!
I have raised my complaint and have given up on my waste of petrol, phone calls, my delayed maintenance and my sheer and utter frustation gained from complete ineptitude, mainly I was simply given duff and incomplete advice from an unknowing person who asked "others" and FAILED TO give...

GOOD BASIC CUSTOMER ADVICE!
My opinion formed from the replies he has given (Don Marshall) shall prevent me from ever going to him or K&N for future advice.

He has relinquished his authority on the product he supplies and I call that BAD SERVICE!

He did not inform Bert Heck that he had advised me that I was not to use the product I had purchased and I am still rather peeved as I am led to believe he and (possibly) others will continue to let people down.

Many People who work hard for a living do not expect to be mislead and left stranded when they are spending THEIR HARD EARNED CASH and as Don Marshall calls himself a TECHNICAL SALES EXECUTIVE FOR K&N EUROPE on his emails I think he should get to know the products he sells!!

BUYER BEWARE! OF MISLEADING ADVICE!

K & N have updated their website and from my investigation, this is good news as you fellow members and enquirers should not end up in the situation I did, so thank you K & N, (Not Don Marshall!).

And if any good member knows Bert Heck, personally, I would love to stumble upon his email address?

And of course you wanted to know My baby is running a DREAM!

Regards to all, Stu

Last edited by Stuart Beattie; 02-17-2014 at 10:52 AM. Reason: I instead of he (misleading!) :)
Old 02-17-2014, 08:25 AM
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

K&N is solution to non-existent problem. Forget about them.
I repaired engines for 20 years. I use white (cheaper) Purolator oil filter, sometimes
i use yellow (higher grade) Purolator filter after some repairs.

Last edited by car5car; 02-17-2014 at 08:32 AM.
Stuart Beattie (02-17-2014)
Old 02-17-2014, 10:24 AM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I was wondering if there was a reason to go with k&n over another brand besides the name because they are pretty expensive. I was thinking about going with Bosch maybe. I probably would go with a part or full synthetic though, unless there were a reason to use traditional oil.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks guys,

Remember it's your choice so good luck!
04Xtype04,
The HP2009 or SP2009 would be your choice if you go K & N
Stu

Old 02-17-2014, 11:50 AM
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by 04xtype04
I was wondering if there was a reason to go with k&n over another brand besides the name because they are pretty expensive. .
the only reason to use K&N is because they say their filters are better.
What a new idea! Seller says his product is better than everybody elses.
I have read pretty long article proving that their air filters don't filter air as well as other filters. Oil filters are probably OK, because they don't manufacture them, some company does.

Last edited by car5car; 02-17-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Stuart Beattie (02-19-2014)
Old 02-17-2014, 07:48 PM

I got the K&N air filter which I like because it breathes better and it's washable, but I was looking at their oil filters and they seemed to be at least double what the others cost. I was thinking Bosch might be the way to go. Even the Fram's are probably alright as long as you do the regular oil changes. I feel like if I get a $15 filter, I might not want to change the oil as often.

Stuart Beattie (02-18-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 04:35 AM
Veteran Member

Aha, you may get many different theories there 04xtype04,

I am happy with the SP2009 from K&N and I do think they are better, however that is my view as such.
What I would say the Bosch, the fram and many others are as good, better I don't know, but having approached Jaguar for a "Jaguar" oil filter and seeing that it is not marked "Jaguar", I realised that you don't always get what you thought...?

2 reasons I changed the oil filter and my decision to choose K&N was I believe I like to look after my car and if I was viewing one, I would swing to choosing a vehicle I thought to be looked after and that is where the buck stops!

I drive a Jaguar, I like it and sadly... I AM A SNOB!

In that, I have my view and I like it that way, it doesn't mean I am BETTER THAN ANYONE ELSE, JUST SOMETIMES, I DO!!

One thing for sure is you'll do it your way but I wouldn't leave the oil change too late and rely on products that may not be THAT good, but again you will be the judge on that 04xtype04!!

I think you made an excellent choice on the air filter and I will go that way shortly and if you do choose to pamper your Babe, who's to argue, I'm with you!!
Regards, stu

Old 02-18-2014, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by 04xtype04
I feel like if I get a $15 filter, I might not want to change the oil as often.
That might be a foolish move. Is the factory interval not long enough for you?

Last edited by Mikey; 02-18-2014 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:01 AM

I was just looking at oils online and realized Castrol GTX is actually a conventional oil, not a part-synthetic like I thought. Anyways, what if I don't drive that much? I've only put 1,000 miles on my car since I got it. Not sure if I should change it yet or if it could wait a couple months (it was changed right before I bought it).

Quick Reply: Do not mix HP2009 oil filter with regular oil *