X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver's seat power adjust

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 11:44 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Driver's seat power adjust

I have normally just replaced the seat bottoms with the entire assy in the past but now that they are gettin hard to find in the right color, repair is becoming more important. There is a very good Youtube video on how to swap motors from passenger side to driver side assemblies. THe author also discusses the replacement of the SHITTY nylon gears inside. Frankly while it is a permanent repair, it is quite a process to get through. If you switch to passenger side motors, you should get reasonable service for a longer time since these motors were rarely used in service. Does anyone know WHO THE MANUFACTURER of the motors is? They deserve a severe tounge lashing for their cynical engineering of this part....classic case of planned obsolescence.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:53 PM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Default seat adjuster

I have found the motor doesn't fail but the coupler does,, the weak link. The yaw coupler on mine broke, until one of the others fail I'll live with it.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:39 PM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

These seats have weak couplers and the way they are designed there is a lot of pressure put on the motors. EG. If you tip the seat lap portion to far it binds the other tilt section so it seams to be jammed and it is, so the other tilt motor has a lot of pressure on the coupler BUT if you reverse the first section the other tilt motor becomes free and will move.After many times of binding these couplers snap, nothing you have done just a bad design. 6-way seats have less articulation so less binding but 8-way seats overlap articulation. bind and break if the mechanisms aren't built to take the torque.Other auto makers have had the same problem and corrected the problem.Electric mirrors have the same issue but have been designed with a slip mechanism to alleviate this problem hence the clicking noise when they bind.

The following users liked this post:
bigdiver (03-24-2015)
Old 03-23-2015, 05:58 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Maddog
It is not very complicated, but if all you have is a screw driver and hammer, you might not want to deal with it yourself. The seat needs to be removed and because the motors do not work, it is hard to get to some of the bolts.

I have not found a gear replacement for it yet. I was also looking for ideas and suggestions. If I do find one, I will take pictures of the process and document it here. The sad part was that I had to rebuild everything without fixing anything so that the car could be use.
There is a German man who advertises on ebay. He makes brass replacement gears

Old 03-23-2015, 08:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seat ajuster

Originally Posted by Stickman
Okay, so let's assume that me and Steve are the only two people on planet earth that ever experienced a stuck seat in an X Type. Does anybody want to take a SWAG? Thanks
i have 0/9 2,2 auto xtype with same problem/// i just ordered two brass cogs for motors will changing these for old plastic ones help

Old 03-23-2015, 08:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ck seats

brass cog wheels available on ebay