Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   X-Type ( X400 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/)
-   -   firmware update for gps? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/firmware-update-gps-8982/)

gaara 11-02-2008 08:13 PM

firmware update for gps?

ok so i have an 03 x-type, and got an 06-07 map dvd to replace the 02-03 one that came with it, BUT now with the 06-07 map dvd, it dosent give me verbal/audible directions. i have heard that i need to update the firmware on the head unit for the new map dvd to work right. is this true? and where can i find the firmware and how do i update it?

bojangles 11-02-2008 09:40 PM

RE: firmware update for gps?

can you tell us where you got the disc?
I dont think you need a firmware anything. Is it a Jag disc or a copy of something that is supposed to be compatibe.?

gaara 11-02-2008 11:30 PM

its a denso copy.

BuckMR2 11-03-2008 02:52 AM

Sounds like a faulty disc.
Guys on the UK forum have updated their versions with no probs just by putting a newer disc in and it updates itself from there and works afterwards.

gaara 11-03-2008 05:22 AM

hm. is the file loading.kwi the firmware?

Dennis 11-03-2008 08:11 AM

RE; Bo's question..is it a copy or a bootleged version?

gaara 11-03-2008 01:24 PM

i know your gonna yell at me, but it is a copy. im a college student, i dont have 300$ to blow on a nav dvd.

Dennis 11-03-2008 02:47 PM

No..I understand completely...But I think that maybe the MAPDVD was copyright protected, so someone couldn't just copy it..Prolly what the problem is with yours..(just guessing)

Too bad too..cuz, I would like to get an up-dated version myself, butlike you, I ain't gonna pay $300.00 shamolions for it though:D

gaara 11-03-2008 03:01 PM

well, it works ok, i just think that maybe it was made for a cadillac or other denso system, maybe that didnt have the audible direction feature. im currently trying to merge some files that were on the 2002 map dvd i have that were missing on the new one into a hybrid dvd. hoping this works.

ps if anyone can find out where the audio data is stored on the dvds it wuld be nice.

bojangles 11-03-2008 04:53 PM

For sure I dont have anything against a bootleg dvd for the nav. the price is way too high. (200 by the way from navteq not 300)

I have copied a Cadillac DVD and it works fine, it did take several tries to get it right tho. I lost the sweet british voice, the caddy disc only has the harsh bossy US bitch on it... I cant understand how they chose that voice.. it is just not soothing at all.

gaara 11-03-2008 06:51 PM

exactly the problem! thats the exact same case here.

anyways, they hybrid dvd was a no-go, it works just the same as the original caddy dvd, no brit voice. :(

if anyone has a newish jag nav dvd, an .iso upoad would be appreciated. (that way i could compare the file list)

bojangles 11-03-2008 08:57 PM

ORIGINAL: gaara

anyways,
hey college boy.... there aint no "s" on the word anyway. :eek:

let me know if you find a good iso....

gaara 11-03-2008 11:56 PM

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anyways

failed.

blakundekurvaknmulch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://marcvz.net/blog/wp-content/up...ammar-nazi.jpg

bojangles 11-04-2008 08:02 AM

LOL... you cant use an invented word as an excuse.
Oxford dictionary please...

veffremov 03-29-2009 06:47 PM

loading.kwi is the firmware, however the firmware is in the internal flash ant it check for updates when the system is started, if it finds a newer version in installs it in the flash.

So you can work of a DVD with compatible MAP data (Ford, Cadillac, Lexus etc.), but you will not get the firmware updated. The data format is called KIWI-W, you can find the spec on the interwebs.

Would be nice if someone could post the loading.kwi off a 2006 map DVD, I think in the latest version they disabled the 3D view, so the old one would be better :-).

Btw. what media did you use for your copy? I tried to copy my disk to a memorex DVD+R DL, but the thing would not read it.

I don't think it's copy protected, several people on the net are reporting the backup copy is straight forward process. I would think it's a matter of finding compatible media and burn speed.

timfountain 03-31-2009 10:49 AM

I have that DVD and it works fine. You need to burn it with a good dual layer blank medium at the lowest burning speed. I tried several brands before finding success with Maxell ones. Also you will not get any voice if you choose anything other than American English. I used to like the British accent, but I can live with the American Girl!

- Tim