Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   X-Type ( X400 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/)
-   -   First time car buyer looking at 02 X type, would like recommendations and advice (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/first-time-car-buyer-looking-02-x-type-would-like-recommendations-advice-218221/)

lag_ow 05-24-2019 11:22 AM

First time car buyer looking at 02 X type, would like recommendations and advice

This is my first car and I found an 02 X type with only 200 000 Km on it, body and interior is perfect, no rust no dents no tears in the leather. The seller is asking for 2100 CAD for it but he is open for negotiation. The clutch is the original clutch from 02. Since this is my first car, I'm wondering how reliable it is. I want something that will last me for atleast the next 5 ish years. How reliable are these cars? How reliable is the clutch and everything? I'm looking for any tips or advice or anything you guys can give me. Is it worth getting this or should I go with something like a Mazda 3?

Alfadude 05-24-2019 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by lag_ow (Post 2075483)
This is my first car and I found an 02 X type with only 200 000 Km on it, body and interior is perfect, no rust no dents no tears in the leather. The seller is asking for 2100 CAD for it but he is open for negotiation. The clutch is the original clutch from 02. Since this is my first car, I'm wondering how reliable it is. I want something that will last me for atleast the next 5 ish years. How reliable are these cars? How reliable is the clutch and everything? I'm looking for any tips or advice or anything you guys can give me. Is it worth getting this or should I go with something like a Mazda 3?

Well, it has been reliable enough to last the last 17 years and still be in good shape, at least cosmetically. You don't mention how it is mechanically other than it is the original clutch. With the limited info you provided it sounds like the current (and maybe previous owners before that) have taken car of the car. If it runs and drives good and there are no lights on the dash, it runs and handles smoothly that would be a good sign. Ask the current owner what have they done maintenance-wise and tell you waht, if anything needed to be replaced. Making sure all teh fluids have been changed regularly is key.

As for the clutch, that is more a function of the person driving it than anything. What I can tel you is I had a liter and when I sold it the car had almost 165K MILES and the clutch still felt fine. So, would teh clutch in teh car in question last another five years, who knows? Plus, how many miles do you drive a year? If it is a couple thousand, then the chances of it last another five years are much higher than if you drive 15K-20K per tear. And if you mean lasting another five years without any major repairs, see above. So much of it depends on how it was taken care of before. You are looking at a 17 year old car. I don't car if it is a Honda, Toyota or Jaguar, at that age, things will just wear out. So, there is no right or wrong answer. If your question is can it last five years without putting ANY money into maintence or to replace something then the answer is a resounding "no", but that will be the same answer for any car that age. You are looking at a car that they are askig $1500USD. Any car that cheap will have some minor issues more than likely.

Good luck with your search.

lag_ow 05-24-2019 01:28 PM

Thanks man, that's pretty helpful. Roughly how does repairing a Jaguar cost compared to a Mazda 3, which is another car I am considering. I hear Mazdas are really reliable and relatively cheap to repair. But Jaguars can be very expensive. Do you have any experience with that?

lag_ow 05-24-2019 01:29 PM

Thanks man, that's pretty helpful. Roughly how does repairing a Jaguar cost compared to a Mazda 3, which is another car I am considering. I hear Mazdas are really reliable and relatively cheap to repair. But Jaguars can be very expensive. Do you have any experience with that?

(i posted this same comment but I dont think it replied to you specifically. Ive never used this website before)

Alfadude 05-24-2019 01:39 PM

I really can't say what the price difference or difficulty would be between the two, although I would say, if needed to be done, go through a reputable independednt shop rather than a dealer as it would be less expensive.

RudyF6 05-24-2019 04:04 PM

Double check on the rust issue - feel around the back vertical sheet metal behind the plastic rocker covers. My 2003 looked very clean, but was very unsound structurally.

Brutal 05-24-2019 04:15 PM

Buy a toyota corrola :)

AJ16er 05-25-2019 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by Brutal (Post 2075583)
Buy a toyota corrola :)

Or the Mazda as it would be a good compromise between more fun/better looking and cheaper to fix.

Spikepaga 05-25-2019 10:45 AM

Yes. These cars require money to run. They are not your typical Asian cars that will quite literally go on with minimal involvement. Unless you are capable of working on it yourself, it’s a bad idea.

car5car 05-26-2019 08:00 PM

Scotty Kilmer on youtube has a video about 5 least reliable cars. He said X-type was a worst one. Find the video yourself:
https://www.youtube.com/user/scottykilmer/videos

Alfadude 05-27-2019 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by car5car (Post 2076415)
Scotty Kilmer on youtube has a video about 5 least reliable cars. He said X-type was a worst one. Find the video yourself:
https://www.youtube.com/user/scottykilmer/videos

Why not post a link to the exact video you are referencing? This guy has hundreds of them.

Dell Gailey 05-27-2019 05:48 PM

Or don't and say you did. Then leave and stay in the Toyota forum where they appreciate trolls.