X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Legal liability....."filled for life"?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 09:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Legal liability....."filled for life"?

I would suspect there might be some legal liability if parts fail due to old fluids being a direct cause of the failure. "Filled for life" could mean alot of things but in a courtroom it would mean the life of the vehicle. How that is defined is unknown but I would think it is a legal question that could come up if challenged in a class action suit. What makes this worse is that they dont provide us with the tools necessary to have the fluids removed. (long debates on what fluid types to use..etc) I think at a minimum they should create a service bulletin to change fluids at 100K!!

I have 105K miles on my Jaguar x-type 3.0 . I have been lucky with NO issues so far but my Jag has never been in the snow out here in California. (I take my jeep out for snow play anway)
Reading other posts online I think that keeping it out of the snow has kept it going for as long as it has since it doesn't have the strain a normal x-type would have.

However......they market these cars for snow...they should be able to drive AWD in the snow without fail!

Old 02-23-2009, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,755 Likes on 7,101 Posts

I gotta think that the corporate legal eagles gave the green light on the terminology. I haven't seen the owner's manuals or such but they probably have "under normal conditions" disclosures or similar.

If it get beyond the warranty period Jaguar is off the hook, I reckon.

Class action lawsuits? HA ! A big joke for the consumers. The lawyers usually come out OK, though :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 02-24-2009, 05:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
Class action lawsuits? HA ! A big joke for the consumers. The lawyers usually come out OK, though :-)
Be like the class action against GM. Lawyers get millions, customers get $500-$1500 off the purchase of their next GM vehicle.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:36 PM

The real question to pose for a statement "sealed for life", is the life of what? It does not state the life of the car anywhere near that statement. So it would lead me to believe life of the part...... if you look at it that way even if the part did fail because of the fluid, this part did reach then end of it's life without having to chnge the fluid, plus there is no realy eway to prove that old dirty fluid cause it to fail.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:53 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

well you can say that. But in relative terms i have had one fail at 50k and 30k. Relatively if one lasted 50k then the other should have???? I guess it depends how many people you could get together and if anyone was injured in the failure of the device and how good the lawyer is.

Please visit my latest encounter.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...8516#post98516

Old 02-27-2009, 02:35 PM

As a mechanical engineer i can tell you that due to cost restraints and manufacturing techniques, not all parts are built the same. This goes for the same part, from the same manufacturer, off of the same assembly line, possibly right next to each other. This is no excuse for Jaguars poor reliablity, however they have been this way for many many years. I am now onto my second Jaguar, and nothing has changed. But i do believe they are beautiful cars, that when they are running they are a blast to drive. Anyone who has done any reasearch on Jaguars prior to purchase, especialy the X-Type knows it has one of the worst track records for realiability. Actually i think it is rank in the top 50 as the worlds worst cars EVER.... LOL

Old 02-27-2009, 08:56 PM

I was speaking merely on relative terms. There are more factors involved than flucuations in manufacturing and materials and i am fully aware of them. I am just saying that the life of the component is purely relative.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

so who has changed their TC case fluid and how long ago? better yet, who has changed the fluid and had it fail anyways?

Old 02-28-2009, 01:54 AM

I changed the fluid but unfortunatly it was too late. Gave out the next day.

What jaguar needs to do is come up with a solution to the problem. Not a bandaid to the problem that still ends up not correctly fixing the problem.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:00 AM
ud
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jag ended production, and sold the company........ what else could be more permanent -LOL

I am totally on your side yet beyond a design that is failing too much, you have had quite bad luck too. I think you need to focus on getting a good used case in your car and minimise the cost. Dealers are emotional, and wont budge on their decision. I hope you can get help using the legal system, but even that is risky.
Hope your car does not rust too!

Old 02-28-2009, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

jimmy,

the dealer can be made to change their minds by corporate. I got them to reverse their decision on my "rust already" post... if you have not seen it yet, search for it. it is long so make sure you have time to read it.

Jagxtype, I would call corporate and tell them your story. The main thing is to stay calm! once you start yelling you loose any compassion they may have for you.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:22 PM

Jimmy,

I use the 3 C's of arguing. Calm, cool and collective. I never raise my voice, if they get mad it is because i demand answers and they cannot give me any and i do not back down.

Old 02-28-2009, 03:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this a problem for the auto TC only, or does it apply to the manuel TC as well?

Old 03-01-2009, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by snowman
Is this a problem for the auto TC only, or does it apply to the manuel TC as well?
Well my car is a manual if that gives you any indication. I am sure it is actually worse on the manuals due to the amount of power that can be supplied at an instance with rough clutch engagement.