Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X type cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 12:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X type cutting out

Hiya,

This is my first thread on here so I don't really know how to give info - hope it's not boring!

I have had my 04 X Type for a week ad love it

Yesterday the coild light started flashing amber as I drove along and a little while later I accelerated and it cut out.

It started up again fine.

Today the engine management light is on and it has cut out twice in exactly the same way.

Any amazing ideas that don't cost me the earth?

Many thanks,

Paul

PS - the name is magicpaul as I'm a magician (entertainer not a real one!)

Old 01-31-2012, 02:41 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

paul, welcome to the forums. I am sure we can help you out with this.

Just to be a bit more specific. When you say that it cuts out. Are you saying that the motor turns off or are you saying that it seems to loose power and doesn't want to go above 3,000 RPM? If the motor cuts out, then normally with our cars that is the fuel pump having issues. You can verify this by using a fuel pressure gauge (which can normally be rented for free at a local auto parts store) and connecting it to the fuel rail. Now, when you turn the key to the run position (engine not running), you should see the pressure gauge go up to 40-50 psi (closer to 50). If you start the engine, it will drop by about 10 psi to a range of 30-40 psi (hovering closer to 40 psi). If you are at the low end of these bands or below, then that is a sign that you either have a clogged fuel filter (can cause this to happen) or the fuel pump is starting to go. If given a choice, spend the few bucks and replace the fuel filter first.

If you fuel pressure is fine and the motor completely cuts out, then that is most likely an electrical issue and taking it to a mechanic to have them diagnose it will be best unless you know a lot about wiring and whatnot.

If the motor is simply limiting the power and RPMs, this is a safety feature of the motor. It is simply telling you that it sees a mismatch between what you are telling the car and what it can do. In a lot of cases, this is caused by either a problem from the computer sensing too bad of a misfire which can lead to damage to the catalytic converters or the throttle is not matching the position of the gas pedal (our cars are drive by wire, no physical cable between the gas pedal and the throttlebody). So, the computer limits the RPMs to under 3,000 for safety. As to what can cause the power limitation is numerous. But, from experience, I would say to first look at your throttlebody (big silver lump on the end of the intake or on the end of the black plastic intake tube). If you look at the wiring, make sure it looks good and you can not see any copper. If you can see copper, that is more than likely your issue. Again, if you are not a wiring guy, a mechanic will be your best bet. After that, I would say to see if you can get your hands on a code reader and see if you can pull up any codes (should be able to since you got other lights). With those codes, we will be able to narrow down the list of likely suspects and go from there.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It does actually cut out (happened on a busy roundabout today which was fun) so will hire the thingy that you said AND try a filter change - please keep your fingers crossed for me as I love driving this car!