X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Filter Heads-Up

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 05:13 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fuel Filter Heads-Up

My wife reported she was having trouble getting our '03 X Type to start. With enough cranking it would finally go but I took that as a strong signal that it needed attention. Suspecting a plugged fuel filter I picked one up on my way home and got to work.

It's located ahead of the right rear wheel right next to the fuel tank. I got a bunch of towels and a catch pan ready and pressed the tabs on the outlet side fitting and gently pulled the line free. There was a hiss and a small bit of fuel that drained out of the line and the filter into my catch pan. The inlet side has a different fitting that required a pliers to squeeze the tabs. I felt the click and release and gently moved the line back. Here's where it gets interesting.

Since the front came off with no drama and drained nicely I figured there would be some fuel but that the pressure had been released. Wrong! When I wiggled the line off I got a nice 40PSI gasoline shower. Apparently the filter was really plugged and was holding all the fuel at pressure upstream, hence the slow/no starting. In any event I cleaned up the mess (I have a coated garage floor to protect aginst this kind of screw up) put the new filter on and off we go. Car felt like it picked up 30HP.

This job is a snap if you have a lift but quite doable on your back with a good jack and safety stands. Tip: Be prepared to deal with pressurized fuel at both ends of the filter.

The following 2 users liked this post by Stickman:
aiko670 (01-23-2012), Lcgi (01-25-2012)
Old 01-23-2012, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

wouldn't depressing a fuel line schrader valve de-pressurize the fuel system?

speaking of which...where is it on the X ? just in case i need to check for fuel pressure one day..i don't see one in any visible places

Old 01-23-2012, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 186 Likes on 161 Posts

De-pressurize the fuel system first. Check the procedure in the JTIS.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

How old was the filter in terms of miles?

Old 01-23-2012, 08:31 PM

Plums,
The dealer paperwork claims that they replaced the filter along with the fuel pump about 9000 miles ago. When I got it off what drained out was brown but not black like some others I've seen. I was expecting something a little more dramatic which then had me wondering if the there was something wrong with the filter beyond dirt.

The following users liked this post:
plums (01-23-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member

for those without access to JTIS can someone please describe where the fuel line schrader valve is, after all ...isn't that half the point of an online forum.
Anyone doing a search to find the procedure to change a fuel filter, will, so far get little help from this thread...other than deciding not to do it as an eyefull o gas is no fun

Old 01-24-2012, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member

Schraeder valve is in engine compartment

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Schraeder Valve.pdf (503.0 KB, 250 views)
Lcgi (01-25-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 10:10 AM

The point in plain English is that even with the outlet side of the filter de-pressurized via the Schrader Valve and/or by disconnecting the line, a restricted filter can retain pressurized fuel residing in the line between the pump and the filter. If there is a way of releasing that upstream pressure somebody needs to fess up and not just refer folks to some inaccessible manual.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member

The manual is available for download to everyone. It is a sticky on the first page of the forum.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member

As Mromanik points out, the JTIS download is freely available.

It is an essential reference for any serious diy'er.

If someone chooses not to install it, then it is their choice. If someone chooses not to read it, then that is also their choice. But, it is also their loss.

If someone is not running a compatible platform, then there are also PDF versions available.

A member should not be flogged for referencing JTIS, just as he should not be flogged for referencing a tool that a reader does not have.

However, the point is taken that releasing the downstream pressure of the fuel filter would not have helped in the particular scenario described by the OP where the pressure upstream of the fuel filter is being held by debris in the clogged filter.

Last edited by plums; 01-24-2012 at 06:17 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by plums:
Lcgi (01-25-2012), MRomanik (01-25-2012)
Old 01-25-2012, 12:51 PM
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
If someone is not running a compatible platform, then there are also PDF versions available.
Hi Plums,
We need help and a pointer to the PDF Version - you have referred to ?

PLEASE HELP... the Non-windows Members ?

Regards,
LCGI

Old 01-25-2012, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LCGI
Hi Plums,
We need help and a pointer to the PDF Version - you have referred to ?

PLEASE HELP... the Non-windows Members ?

Regards,
LCGI
Someone has offered them for sale in the past in the for sale section. Apparently it has the value-add of annotations and section navigation.

They are also sometimes available on ebay. Just make sure it specifically says PDF and be sure to review the ebay member feedback found in their profile. Caveat Emptor!

Old 01-25-2012, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member

WOW...can someone pleeease just tell me where the schrader valve is. I don't understand why the secrecy. I looked at the PDF and that does not help me. I looked in the engine compartment...i couldn't see it...is it under the intake manifold?

No "flogging" going on here...just trying to get an answer for the original poster....myself....and any one else searching for " how to change a fuel filter"

I have no "need" to even know where it is at this point...just trying to help contribute to making a more cohesive thread

Lcgi (10-13-2012)
Old 01-25-2012, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member

also...what is the recommended time between fuel filter changes?
Is it generally only changed when there is a problem?
Personally, i usually replace it when i buy a car

Old 01-25-2012, 10:12 PM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

A SPARE gas filter is a must for your trunk. Nothing ruins a trip faster than having to wait for some NAPA store to open on a Monday while out in the middle of nowhere.

It ranks second, right behind the two (yes TWO) small fire extinguishers, one behind the driver's seat and the other in the trunk.

(Ain't needed either item yet for the Jag, but those lessons were both hard-learned in other vehicals of mine)

Old 01-26-2012, 01:11 AM

Someone has offered them for sale in the past in the for sale section. Apparently it has the value-add of annotations and section navigation.

They are also sometimes available on ebay. Just make sure it specifically says PDF and be sure to review the ebay member feedback found in their profile. Caveat Emptor!
One of the most irritating aspects to this and other forums... is the propensity for some to make claim or statement about things of fantasy... or wishful thinking.
And often, as apparent in this case - when its put to the test..... its proven to be exactly what it is !! (just nonsense and false)

Old 01-26-2012, 01:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LCGI
One of the most irritating aspects to this and other forums... is the propensity for some to make claim or statement about things of fantasy... or wishful thinking.

And often, as apparent in this case - when its put to the test..... its proven to be exactly what it is !! (just nonsense and false)
Really?

What you were told is accurate.

However, it is left up to the user to go and do their own search to find the referenced thread or resource. Otherwise, there would be a core of people who either knew all the referenced thread url's by heart or spent all their time doing searches on behalf of others.

The first alternative is unlikely on a large forum, and the second alternative is not much fun.

Last edited by plums; 01-26-2012 at 01:29 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:22 AM

Really?

What you were told is accurate.

However, it is left up to the user to go and do their own search to find the referenced thread or resource. Otherwise, there would be a core of people who either knew all the referenced thread url's by heart or spent all their time doing searches on behalf of others.

The first alternative is unlikely on a large forum, and the second alternative is not much fun.
Its would be simpler and a real help... just to prove it !

Rather than expurgate - mere argument.

End of story....

Old 01-26-2012, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Whoa, First I have no idea where the Schrader valve on an X Type is to be found. (cept in the engine bay, probably on the fuel rail).

But, the JTIS manual is available for download from pretty much any of the Forum technical sections or the Gen Tech section, it is not inaccessible, nor is it fantasy or wishful thinking.

There are also many how to, guides etc available for download from our File Library. Many of them are in pdf format.

As regards a Pdf version of JTIS, true, we did have a member that signed up to sell his stuff and you can find the link to his thread here. (Note that the commercial links were removed as being inappropriate). If you do decide to contact the seller it is entirely at your own risk.

Any pdfs that I have seen from JTIS are simply print extractions from the software.

I do however remember one member who used XP emulation to install JTIS on his MAC, you could always give it a go and if you are using Linux then I really have no idea.

Having a 'pop' at people who are trying to help, is most definitely not the way we do things around here.

When a suggestion to look in a FAQ or a section of the forum is made it is generally because the person remembers that they have seen the information but most likely can't remember the exact thread or link.

The X Type section FAQ does contain many downloadable PDF files, I'll guess that the one you would be most interested in would be the Powertrain pdf.

Even I can't remember exactly every URL on the forum.

All downloads available from or through this forum are always FREE of charge, any links to commercial sites or 3rd party sellers unless forum Vendors are generally against forum rules and maybe removed.

To the OP and other people interested in the location of the Schrader valve, sorry for the slight hijack, and if you find the damn thing, please post up the exact location.

Let's keep things sweet folks.

harvey_birdman (07-30-2013)
Old 01-26-2012, 09:04 AM

Hi Richard,
The claim (made by by Plum) was that the JTIS was available as a PDF !!
as opposed to the widely mentioned and abundantly available CD for Windows to be downloaded, burned and installed onto PC.

I simply asked that he prove this - by providing a link to it ?

Mostly, we all know about the plethora of individual TSB's in PDF format that are available here and elsewhere - that was never the issue.

But, the issue remains... does a concise/complete version of JTIS exist - that is available purely as a PDF ? (no CD burning or PC installation required)

I don't believe there is!! (but, I'll stand to be corrected)

Regards,
Larry

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter Heads-Up