Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   X-Type ( X400 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/)
-   -   Gearbox failure/ engine system failure (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/gearbox-failure-engine-system-failure-91650/)

04JagXtype 03-13-2013 09:09 PM

Gearbox failure/ engine system failure

Greetings.. hate to intro myself this way but i got a issue and ussually best place to get good results is from the car owner/enthusiast.

My XType is a 04 3.0 auto with 50k on it. Bought it about 2 yrs ago with 29k on it. Have had no issues other then thermostat but thats maintenance. Car ran fine then all of a sudden light came on and message flash was gearbox failure/ engine system failure. Car went into a limp mode. No throttle responce and sat at 1700ish rpm. Pulled over put in park and it jumped into it. Shut car off for a minute all returned normal. Even check engine light went off it happened again. Only took longer to reset. Afain jumped into gear. Wasnt able to get exact codes as of now.

Any suggestions? Friend is a mechanic he thinks tranny solenoid but from reading forum i get impression its not that

Jagman68 03-14-2013 06:07 AM

Hello 04jag

You will need to get the codes for an accurate diagnosis but I would be looking at the TCM, (transmission control module) these are a common fault on the x type and usually because of a small water leak from behind the cabin filter. My TCM went on my X a couple months ago and mine was jumping into gear all sorted now though. Good luck.

Bruce in North Dakota 03-14-2013 11:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You're describing the classic #1 complaint associated with the X Type: An intermittent vacuum leak.

The first time it happened to me I felt dizzy and weak, with visions of tow trucks, service managers that spoke softly and seriously like funeral directors and wads of cash flying out of my hands.

The (temporary) fix in my case was 6 inches of black electrical tape on the offending leaky hose - a ten-cent repair.

Do a search of this, the X Type section of the forum, for "Vacuum Leak" and you will find many threads and posts discussing the half dozen or so most likely places to find the leak, if that is indeed the culprit.

Until you rule out a simple vacuum leak, most every and any codes you might retrieve - and any and every goofy way the car is acting - are suspect.

Best of luck, and here's hoping yours is a 10-cent fix, too!

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...ine=1363279674

04JagXtype 03-14-2013 11:52 AM

I was unable to get codes today. Can acted 100% today so far that is. Planning on grabbing them tomorrow. Autozone was able to do it as the light was off.

04JagXtype 03-14-2013 12:03 PM

As far as leak. Any hints on to where?

Bruce in North Dakota 03-14-2013 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce in North Dakota (Post 695942)
...Do a search of this, the X Type section of the forum, for "Vacuum Leak" and you will find many threads and posts discussing the half dozen or so most likely places to find the leak...

That's my best hint.

(My leak was the big vacuum hose on the top front of the engine - slightly to the right as you face the car. It is famous for a hidden split)

pab 03-14-2013 01:03 PM

Old trick, recounted many times on the list:

Get a can of starter fluid and spray where ever you think there might be a leak. If there is it will get sucked into the engine, which will them "rev up", and you've found a leak.

Use liberally, any over spray will just evaporate cleanly.
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

04JagXtype 03-14-2013 10:49 PM

I have done that trick before actually. It does work.

Drove car all day including to and from work 40 miles round trip. No issue at all. Looking up TCM location i realized i moved wiring harness leading to it the last time it gave issue. Still going to try to get codes sometime tomorrow. Hopefully it is just that. Thats a quick fix

04JagXtype 03-15-2013 11:15 AM

P-1111 and P-0121 are codes.. .. throttle pedal sensor