X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gearbox Fault fuse blowing and car shutting down

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 06:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gearbox Fault fuse blowing and car shutting down

Hey All, I have run in to the latest of problems getting this 2002 2.5 X-type back to 100%. myself and my mechanic friend have replaced multiple multiple items on this vehicle, and on the way to have it inspected this morning, all dash lights came on, the power steering shut down, and the car died. After coasting it to the side of the road, we noticed it had blown a fuse AGAIN (the gearbox fault fuse to be exact). It blew through a dozen more fuses till I had to call AAA and have it towed back to my house. We had this problem after replacing the transmission and through the help of everyone on here, it was discovered that it was blowing due to a loose transmission ground wire and a failing battery. The battery is brand new and the ground wire is solid. We have had it out on multiple test runs, some 30 mins long with NO issue at all. I really need the help and assistance of collective minds on here please!

Old 06-06-2017, 09:17 AM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts

" If the fuse has blown, it could also be the alarm sounder that has failed. If the fuse blows straight away again, try disconnecting the alarm sounder and fit a new fuse. If it is OK, replace the sounder "

Gearbox Fault finally caught me

" Exactly that - the wiring looked OK but disconnecting the sounder restored the car to normal, no error codes; replugging it blows the fuse "

Gearbox Fault finally caught me

Old 06-07-2017, 05:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the fuse did continue to blow time after time, so we are going to try the route of removing the Alarm sounder... the only problem is... we can't locate it. We have the electrical diagrams as well as google images of it, so in theory, it should be able to be located... but we just can't. Again, this is a 2002 automatic X-type, 2.5.. can someone please tell us where to hunt for it at on the vehicle??

Old 06-07-2017, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

From a forum post =