X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Gearbox Fault" and X-type wont start

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 02:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question "Gearbox Fault" and X-type wont start

Hey there Jaguar world, Ive hit the latest speed bump that needs overcome in bringing this 2002 X-type back to life... If you look at my previous posts, I picked up a 2002 automatic 2.5 X-type back in October 2016 from a gentleman that lived in New Jersey. He didn't take the best of care of her so I'm nursing her back to life. There have been a multitude of problems, all have been overcome, but this is the latest and I need help please. It was necessary to put a new transmission in her. Since I'm not lighting cigars on fire with $100 bills, it was installed at home in my garage by a friend/amateur mechanic helping/doing this for me. She is all put back together but she refuses to start and there is the annunciator (Gearbox Fault) which wasn't there before. Even more puzzling is this mystery wire that's just hanging out. I kept a close eye on my mechanic friend and photo documented and took pictures of everything before he took something apart/off, and even though he got annoyed with me doing so, I labeled EVERY wire he unplugged with blue painters tape and a sharpie. I don't recall seeing him unplug this wire and I didn't mark it... so does ANYONE know what it is??!?! To narrow possibilities down with the starting issue, the battery is GOOD and charged and the interior lights comes on when the door is opened, but when the key is turned, it acts like there's not even a battery in it. no clicking... nothing.
A: how does the "gearbox fault" issue get resolved/what is it,
B: I have attached a picture of this floating "mystery wire".. can anyone tell me what it is and what it plugs in to?!?! Thanks all and sorry for the long post!

Justin from Central Pennsylvania
the wire with the green U-shaped tip inside the yellow circle is the wire in question. The battery and all components are re-installed, I used this picture with missing pieces for clarity of the wire.

Old 04-20-2017, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

The wire is for the battery isolater that was used in shipping the vehicle. The isolater is removed at the dealer when the vehicle arrives.Once you reinstall the battery box you will see a small nib at the bottom of the box that is where the wire plugs in to keep things tidy.

The following users liked this post:
JRHuff83 (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 04:15 PM

I guess sometimes the simplest answer is the best one.. thank you so much avern1, I really appreciate that! now all that's left is the gearbox fault annunciator and to figure out why she isn't starting. At least I know now that the mystery wire has nothing to do with it!

Old 04-20-2017, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member

I had to do a little reading but I think your gear box fault and no start are related. Since you changed the transmission iit is quite possible that the shift cable isn't correctly adjusted and the start system isn't seeing Park or Neutral.
Also, for the gearbox fault did you change the TCM, transmission control module or use the one from the new transmission?

Try moving the gear shift and see if the starting system can finds neutral.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by avern1
I had to do a little reading but I think your gear box fault and no start are related. Since you changed the transmission iit is quite possible that the shift cable isn't correctly adjusted and the start system isn't seeing Park or Neutral.
Also, for the gearbox fault did you change the TCM, transmission control module or use the one from the new transmission?

Try moving the gear shift and see if the starting system can finds neutral.
Transmission has been changed but the gear selector wiring is from the original transmission. Now I am unable to get the release switch to engage to shift the gears. tap brake to release switch and nothing happens.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:23 AM

so I was wrong (that's painful to say) and I showed a picture of a wire that was NOT in question. THIS is the actual mystery wire. The wire is located by the heat shield along with the starter wires and has a broken plug attached to it. Not sure if broken plug is supposed to be a blank. The wires are green/green&white as seen in the photos. If anyone has an electrical wiring diagram for a 2002 2.5 X-type, that would be EXTREMELY appreciated.
general location of mystery wire

Old 04-21-2017, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

It's in the free download workshop manual isn't it?

Old 04-21-2017, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member

You can release the park solenoid manually. Before going that route make she the battery has a full charge. A weak battery will prevent the disengage on the solenoid.
Follow the links below to forum topics for manually releasing the solenoid.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...nually-170183/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...neutral-83920/

Check out Astromorg's comments on post 4 of the second link.

Next link is to jagrepair.com where you can download the wiring diagrams for your vehicle.

JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

JRHuff83 (04-21-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 03:15 PM

After looking into the wiring system, I have found that the EMS\fan speed\speed control fuse keeps blowing. Wires in previous photos have no power running to them either with key off or in acc position. blown fuse is really bothering me as engine will not start and when trying to start the car it sounds as if the fuel pump is running when you turn key to start... Any Ideas???

Old 04-26-2017, 01:36 AM
Veteran Member

I'd be finding out why the fuse blows - a chafed wire causing a short or what?

Old 04-30-2017, 08:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if you fixed this but I had the same issue. The car sat for four months because nobody could figure out the problem and I did not want to take it to the Jag dealer and get killed. Looking back, I should have done just that because I ended up spending $1200 when it was all said it done anyway. About $300 of that was spent going to different garages and hearing the same "it won't start so we can't help you." In fairness to them, even the Jag dealer didn't know what was up after running their $400 diagnostics. Anyway, by the grace of God and just when I was about to say the hell with it just junk it, the repair department manager suggested checking the battery cables (why this wasn't checked while they were running their diagnostic tests is beyond me) and sure it enough that was the problem. The negative cable was either fried or just bad. This explain why after I bought a brand new battery and threw in a new starter, the car still wouldn't start. Anyway, the cable was just $150. The Jag dealer gave me a break and took off $50 off the bill and charged me $500 altogether.

Anyway, I was getting about 11 engine codes - everything from solenoids to TCM and tranny fluid needing to be changed. None of that turned out to be the problem so be aware that the actual problem may not always show on your code reader.

Hope this helps!!

Old 05-21-2017, 09:08 AM

I would like to truly thank everyone who responded to this thread! With all your help, my mechanic friend and myself were able to fix the problem and she now fires up IMMEDIATELY! In case anyone else is having this issue, here is what the two problems were... after installing the new transmission, the ground cable was loose so that needed tightening. We kept blowing fuses instantly every time we tried to start it, however when we hooked it up to another vehicle with jumper cables, it would start and not blow a fuse. The problem... I didn't realize it but my battery was bad. A quick trip to Advanced Auto for a new battery (damn, jag batteries are expensive... cost me $200!) and the problem was solved! I couldn't be more thrilled and appreciate all of your input... without this forum, she would still be sitting in my garage not working! I still have a ways to go and shes not 100% yet so there will be more questions in the future, however this problem is now solved and I hope it can help someone else! Thank you again!!

JagV8 (05-21-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member

Hooray! Good to hear.

Old 05-21-2017, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

And the Cat uses one more of it's nine lives!!