X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has your x-type made you more "British"?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 01:19 AM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Has your x-type made you more "British"?

What are some ways your x-type has made you more "British"? For example I drink Irish Stout now and bump drum'n'bass (and punk) music all the time all of a sudden and I've found I'm dressing more English unconsciously.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:49 AM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Now, what would cause you to ask a strange question like that?

I'd hang around for your reply, but Downton Abbey starts in 5.

Attached Thumbnails Has your x-type made you more "British"?-117.jpg  
Old 03-15-2014, 12:21 PM

I just started noticing how much I enjoy listening to drum'n'bass music at full volume in my car now and have found myself dressing more Oxford-like unintentionally. I guess the sexiness of the car rubs off on you. I wonder if people who drive BMW's find themselves listening to more classical music and eating sausages? I've always liked English beers though, so I can't blame that on the Jaguar. One thing I've found is that I always overhear people I don't know talking about my car. Some really like it and some think it's a cheap old used car they could buy in a heartbeat. I also seem to be attracting a lot of showoffs who suddenly buy $50,000 and think they've "won" the car competition. Well yea, if the object is to spend $800 a month on your car just to one-up me then yea you win that game cool capitalist guy.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Should you not be drinking Bitter Beer or a Mild?
never really thought of Irish Stout as English.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:51 PM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 04xtype04
What are some ways your x-type has made you more "British"? For example I drink Irish Stout now and bump drum'n'bass (and punk) music all the time all of a sudden and I've found I'm dressing more English unconsciously.
Telling my age here but I've been a little British since the first time I was introduced to Monty Python in the 70's. Genius. I try to talk with the proper accent sometimes but being I'm in South Carolina, it comes out more like Austin Powers, rather annoying. The Jag helps though and I'm proud of it's heritage and where it came from. Ya' know, the more I think about it, I believe the wife would look hot in Burberry shorts.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:02 PM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts
Smile

I can't say that Jag driving has changed my musical tastes much, although the BeechBoys and Jimmy Buffet are on permanent load in the CD magazine in the 8, whereas Nora Jones more or less lives in the X changer.

I rarely overhear comments on the cars, but people do seem to stare a bit at the nose of the X ; maybe it's the Leaper. Glances at the 8 are more furtive, unless it's a pair of Cougars, who invariably hoot, wave, and ask for a ride (until one of them sees what passes for a back seat).

One difference I have noticed (and frequently) is that while the X doesn't seem to elicit any particular reaction from other drivers while underway, the XK8 often seems to infuriate 3-Series Beemers, and clapped-out E-Class Benzes with ridiculous wheels, and 'way too much window tint, by just being on the same roadway as they are. They buzz me like stupid crows trying to provoke a hawk, and more than one has run afoul of the law trying to goad me into a duel. I always make sure to wave at them politely as they are sitting at the side of the road, looking for their Insurance and Ownerships.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:33 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Strange question considering I am English but I find I just listen to whatever is on the radio as I havn't figured out how to use my ipod in the XJ8 yet.

I am more conscious about wearing a hoody/sweats as I think it looks silly and feel I should be a bit more dressed up.

Last edited by Superman001; 03-15-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:27 PM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

No.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:10 AM

Yea I realized Irish Stout isn't exactly English, well I've been drinking American Irish Stout anyways so that's like 3 degrees of separation. Anyway, I brewed an English Pale Ale after I first got my car (don't drink and drive though). I've never been to England but I am English and I guess part of me identifies with the English lifestyle. I first fell in love with Land Rovers a few years ago and that really had an impact on how I saw the world. Everywhere felt like the English countryside or a Dakar rally... despite the awful gas mileage, it was a great SUV. Had it all fixed up, clear corners and sidemarkers, Euro tailights I found at an auto salvage, carbon fiber muffler, xenon headlights, pro comp shocks, k&n air filter (a little overboard in retrospect but I had fun). Then sold it a few years ago and decided biking around the city was the way to go. Did that for a long time, til I ended up needing a car again for work and long story short there was a nice looking x-type for sale at the car lot and it looked like a million bucks, so I decided to grab it. It kind of reminded me of my Land Rover days but a little more practical on the gas mileage side.

Last edited by 04xtype04; 03-16-2014 at 12:17 AM.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:31 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If driving like I just joined the slippers and dressing gowns club counts as being British then yes. For some reason I just enjoy taking longer to get where I'm going now I'm in a Jaguar. Can't yet bring myself to buying driving gloves and a funny hat, not yet anyway.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

All Jaguars I have driven-Mark VII, S1 XJ, XJ40, my XJS and my E type--all of these cars make you feel something as you look on the beautifully fluted bonnets-or beautifully edged in the case of the XJS or XJ40- give you a sense of continuity, heritage and grace-all Jaguars have done that for me-------------until I test drove that very fast and very plain XF last year-------but I digress

Yes the X type carries that tradition very,very well if that is what you meant by "British"

However, I will say that because of fast depreciation and accessibility to kids in their teens/early 20's it also does make me feel conscious as a 31 y.o man when I see all these heavily modded X types with rims, tinted lights, and aftermarket chrome appliqués like I am driving a Civic and need to move on to something new.

No offense **at all** to those who choose to mod their cars, but it just makes *me* conscious to be driving the same car that's being "modified" by adolescents and younger men. It's kind of like finding a 17 y.0 wearing the same Abercrombie shirt you have on (and I stopped Abercrombie 6 years ago at 25 and was probably pushing it at that point....lol)

So yes the X type does give me that special English feeling, but it's also starting to make me feel like the 31 y.o with the Abercrombie shirt.

Last edited by Spikepaga; 03-16-2014 at 02:26 AM.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:16 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Originally Posted by 04xtype04
What are some ways your x-type has made you more "British"? ............
I had better think seriously about a move to California because I feel more like an alien in my own country as the years pass and the things those in other countries perceive as "British" are gradually being eradicated here.

Graham

Old 03-16-2014, 07:15 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The Jag rekindled my interest in British cars, having owned MG's and Triumphs in the past. And I find myself watching every episode of Wheeler Dealers.....from which I have picked up numerous British expressions (my favorite being "fiddly") and taught the grandkids pound to dollar conversion.

The following users liked this post:
ptaboy (03-17-2014)
Old 03-16-2014, 07:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 164 Posts

Being British ( English) I have been known to drive my Jaguar wearing Tan Chinos, with a Vee neck jumperover a white Tee shirt , complete with dark blue Blazer with a Jaguar pocket badge . I also have Desert boots & string back gloves . However I love old American rock n roll , Fins & chrome & my favourite american word of all time ...." CLUNKER " !!!!!!

ptaboy (03-18-2014)
Old 03-16-2014, 09:02 AM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Spikepaga

However, I will say that because of fast depreciation and accessibility to kids in their teens/early 20's it also does make me feel conscious as a 31 y.o man when I see all these heavily modded X types with rims, tinted lights, and aftermarket chrome appliqués like I am driving a Civic and need to move on to something new.

No offense **at all** to those who choose to mod their cars, but it just makes *me* conscious to be driving the same car that's being "modified" by adolescents and younger men. It's kind of like finding a 17 y.0 wearing the same Abercrombie shirt you have on (and I stopped Abercrombie 6 years ago at 25 and was probably pushing it at that point....lol)

So yes the X type does give me that special English feeling, but it's also starting to make me feel like the 31 y.o with the Abercrombie shirt.
I don't know if this will make you feel better or worse about it but I'm 29 and have modified my X type haha. I've never been able to keep a car stock though. I'm not exactly just slapping on cheap parts from AutoZone or something, but I think I know what you mean. There is an x type around here that has like, 22 inch chome wheels on it and that ridiculous multi colored chameleon paint, looks horrible.

Oh and I also used to wear Abercrombie and the like until about 26 when I too realized that I was dressing like people that annoyed me ha. I can't seem to grow out of modifying cars though.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:40 AM

I got a pair of driving gloves now. They are mechanic gloves from Harbor Freight...

But seriously I know what you mean about "modified" x-types. There aren't too many around here but there is one with chrome piping around all the wheel wells and a "Dub" emblem by the side marker, complete with the essential chrome dub wheels. Online however, I have seen many a horribly "customized" x-type. I think it's affordable enough now that people get into them who otherwise wouldn't be modifying luxury cars. The only other car that seems to attract this newbie luxury modifying crowd is the BMW 3-series. I have seen some awful examples around here of people ruining their preowned BMW's with taillight tint, stick-on led running lights, chromed out bits everywhere, blinding blue xenon lights in old headlights. I cringe when I see an x-type or BMW riced-out with autozone accessories. It's just not a car you want to do that to. Leave it alone if you want a nice car! If you want you customize every nook and cranny and turn it into some kind of urban moving art, get a Civic for crying out loud. Start on that and move your way up to the luxury canvas. It's like the whole thing with gigantic oversized baller rims... They make the car look hideous, they make the car drive like ****, and they're really expensive to maintain, but for some reason you see them EVERYWHERE. Chrysler 300's being the worst offenders for some reason. I will love the day the huge rim trend goes away. It's the best way to trash out a car... Unless it's a truck or suv, because they can handle rims those size.

But as for Jaguars, growing up I have always been interested in cars and always found Jaguars appealing. The cool thing about them is you can usually find used Jags priced very reasonably. It's a car you want to do a lot of the work on yourself, because even taking it in for something as simple as a spark plug change would set you back a few hundred dollars. I think this overwhelms a lot of people who aren't mechanically inclined and they end up moving on to something else.

Anyway with the x-type, my theory is less is more. The more you customize it without knowing what you're doing or what overall direction you're going, the worse it's going to look. You have to have restraint when working on a car like a Jaguar. As soon as you start slapping walmart rims and chrome snake license plate frames on it you're going to bring down the value.

Last edited by 04xtype04; 03-16-2014 at 12:19 PM.
datuttle (03-17-2014)
Old 03-16-2014, 02:42 PM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Maybe that's all they can afford...

Old 03-16-2014, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 100 Likes on 79 Posts

Non pił di quanto la mia Alfa Romeo mi ha reso pił italiano... aw crap it's happening again.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:53 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No. > True Story... I brought my baby over to a friend’s, who happens to be married to a British gal whom I love and respect. However, when I said, “Do you fancy me lovely British motor?”, she replied, “Never really was a big fan of Jaguars”.. I was totally crushed!…. But she sounds so sexy when she says, “JagUar”..damn shame. perfectly good woman. Go figure?.. Come to think of it, my wife has driven my car just about once in the year I’ve owned it. Trust me, it’s better that way…. }; )>

Last edited by ptaboy; 03-17-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:19 PM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

Hahaha, I must admit I would love to find a nice girl with a British accent that never wanted to drive my car...I would be constantly trying to get her to say "Jaguar" though ha. There is something about that accent that makes a beautiful girl even more attractive, not sure why though haha.

Oh, and I never did answer the original question. I'd also say no, my car has not made me act more British. Its a British car with an German designed American engine with an American driver haha. Now, Top Gear on the other hand has make me a bit more British, also going on the "other" jag forums always ends up putting a few Brit terms in my mind since its more of a UK/Europe based forum where as most of us on this forum are in the States.

The following 2 users liked this post by Justink201:
Five Speed (03-17-2014), ptaboy (03-18-2014)

Quick Reply: Has your x-type made you more "British"?