X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having an issue when I'm turning right at medium speeds

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 05:44 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Having an issue when I'm turning right at medium speeds

Hi everyone. I'm hoping somebody has had this happen or knows what the problem is. When I'm driving around 40 - 50 mph and I take a tight right turn I'm feeling the back end move almost like the tire is loose. No, it's not the tire, that's the first thing I checked. It doesn't happen turning left, just right and as far as I've experienced so far, tight right turns above 40 mph.
Anybody ever experience this?

Old 12-14-2013, 05:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Jack it up and give the wheel a good shake in all planes, could be the bushing in the suspension or springs or a combination.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:47 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Jaguila, try this, be making the right hand turn at say about 25 MPH (like when you are getting off of a highway on a cloverleaf) and as you are making the turn, give the car a little bit of gas. Does the same "stepping out" feeling occur? If yes, then you are looking at your rear suspension with a worn out part. The part specifically in question is the lower/forward suspension arm. It is held in place with 2 bolts and the bushings on this arm are known for wearing out leading to your rear tires essentially turning under the car. This leads to excessive tire wear on the rear end of the car (inside edge tire wear).

If you have any more questions, let me know. Oh, by the way, if the one side is worn out, you may want to consider changing out the other side as it most likely is not too far behind in being worn out and after replacing this arm, you will need to get an alignment done to get the tires facing like they should. The extra cost is minimal and that way you won't have any questions left in your head.

The following users liked this post:
Jaguila (12-14-2013)
Old 12-14-2013, 10:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm experiencing something similar. When driving on uneven roads, in a straight line, the back end will wiggle like a loss of traction. It does this on dry roads. On a snowy road it we'll freak you out. You think your wrecking. Also when you hit a pothole or similar the left rear makes a rattle. Where does one buy these lower forward suspension arm bushing? When you say lower forward, is this on the front or rear of the car? Thanks Chris

Old 12-14-2013, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

From what you both describe, as Thermo said, it is most likely the control arms. That is in the rear of the car. More than likely the wheels will be slanted in towards the middle of the car at the top. Sound like your cars? Very common problem and easily addressed.

Jaguila (12-14-2013)
Old 12-14-2013, 02:15 PM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

too much toe is what causes it, the arms that wear out and then cause toe alignment problems are on the rear suspension in front of the arms that the rear springs sit on, they are bent in the middle to offset the ends. Also check the bushings on the lower rear control arm (the ones that the springs rest on) as they can go bad too. I can wiggle mine by grabbing and twisting the arm, not good but I'll be replacing them soon.

Jaguila (12-14-2013)
Old 12-14-2013, 09:52 PM

I'll check it out in the morning. Thanks for the help. If it is the lower/forward suspension arm is this something I can do and then take it in for alignment or is it best to let a shop do it?

Old 12-15-2013, 07:25 AM
Veteran member

Harley, I am only talking about the rear suspension when I refer to the arms. If you look at the rear suspension, it has 3 arms. You have one that is on the top that is all by itself. You then have a big arm that has the coil spring on it that sits at the bottom of the wheel, but a little towards the back bumper. Then you finally have this bar at the bottom that is kinda bent into an S shape. This bar is more towards the front of the car than the others. This last one (the forward/lower), is the bar that gives a lot of people heartaches. Unfortunately, this bar is only made by Jaguar. So, you either have to get it through a dealership or find a shop that sells jaguar parts that are normally carried by the dealership.

Jaguila, as to whether an alignment shop will replace the part for you is a big question. All you can do is to talk to them and see what they say. May even recommend that if you buy the part and leave it on the front seat, will they just do the labor aspect of it. There is nothing special about this bar that would make it a dealership only type of maintenance. The thing that scares them is that it is a "Jaguar". This car uses the same basic setup as a Volvo S40 and most other cars these days. They just did it a little sooner than others. If you have reached the point of feeling the car move around on your as you are driving, this is well beyond what an alignment is going to fix. You are at the replace parts stage.

Jaguila (12-15-2013)
Old 12-15-2013, 08:20 AM
Default Is this the part you're talking about?

Originally Posted by Thermo
Harley, I am only talking about the rear suspension when I refer to the arms. If you look at the rear suspension, it has 3 arms. You have one that is on the top that is all by itself. You then have a big arm that has the coil spring on it that sits at the bottom of the wheel, but a little towards the back bumper. Then you finally have this bar at the bottom that is kinda bent into an S shape. This bar is more towards the front of the car than the others. This last one (the forward/lower), is the bar that gives a lot of people heartaches. Unfortunately, this bar is only made by Jaguar. So, you either have to get it through a dealership or find a shop that sells jaguar parts that are normally carried by the dealership.

Jaguila, as to whether an alignment shop will replace the part for you is a big question. All you can do is to talk to them and see what they say. May even recommend that if you buy the part and leave it on the front seat, will they just do the labor aspect of it. There is nothing special about this bar that would make it a dealership only type of maintenance. The thing that scares them is that it is a "Jaguar". This car uses the same basic setup as a Volvo S40 and most other cars these days. They just did it a little sooner than others. If you have reached the point of feeling the car move around on your as you are driving, this is well beyond what an alignment is going to fix. You are at the replace parts stage.

Jaguar CONTROL ARM REAR SUSPENSION FRONT LOWER - C2S50863-OE

At Jagbits.com on the X Type, Suspension, Control Arms / Shafts and Bushings link at the bottom of the page for $139.95?

Old 12-15-2013, 07:20 PM
Veteran member

Jaguila, yes, that would be the part that you are after. Granted, I would do a little bit of looking. I know if you go to Jaguarparts.com, you can get it for $138 plus S&H. If you talk with JPLV, you might be able to get it even cheaper and get it to you in much less time since they are "just up the road" in Las Vegas.

Jaguila (12-16-2013)
Old 12-16-2013, 12:29 AM
Default Thanks to everyone on Jag-Forums

Originally Posted by Thermo
Jaguila, yes, that would be the part that you are after. Granted, I would do a little bit of looking. I know if you go to Jaguarparts.com, you can get it for $138 plus S&H. If you talk with JPLV, you might be able to get it even cheaper and get it to you in much less time since they are "just up the road" in Las Vegas.
I can't even begin to imagine the money and time I'd have spent if it wasn't for guys like you. Thanks for all your knowledge and time to help out.
Merry Christmas

Old 12-16-2013, 04:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jaguila
I can't even begin to imagine the money and time I'd have spent if it wasn't for guys like you. Thanks for all your knowledge and time to help out.
Merry Christmas
I found them on eBay. Some r from the UK so just read the action closely. I order 2 for $120. I hope they ate correct. Chris

Jaguila (12-18-2013)