Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlights dipping during a normal drive

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 02:01 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts
Default Headlights dipping during a normal drive

I have noticed something new with my car. It seems about 5 minutes into a drive and I have my headlights on, I will see them dip down and then come back up to a new level. It was my understanding that the headlights only adjusted themselves upon turning on the headlights and no time there after. Is this something that I just never seemed to catch before or is my kitty starting to wink at me? Granted, my headlights do seem to be riding a little higher than they should be, but I have chalked this up to most likely have a broken mount or two and I need to get into the headlights to replace the mounts.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hey thermo sorry to jump in this thread but i have a question i wanted to ask you. My 2002 jaguar x type 3.0 climate is coming on even after turning the car off which it shouldnt be, do you know what could be causing this problem???

Old 01-14-2014, 03:54 PM
Veteran member

kpmugga, first off, welcome to the forums. There is lots of good information here. So, keep your eye open and share what you may know. With that being said, we are a friendly bunch and we like to get to know one another. Please stop by the New Member Section and introduce yourself. You will find that we strive to be different and better than other clubs that you will find. This will also give you a chance to meet those that make this place what it is.

Now, for your problem. When you say that the climate control is coming on after you turn off the car, is it the controls in the dash that are coming back on or are you hearing the dash blower continue to run? This is something that can change what the problem is dramatically. Also, do you have the integrated heat-A/C controls in the radio or do you have the standard controls in a module that sits above the radio?

The possibilities are too numerous based on what you are describing. If you could be a bit more detailed in what is coming on, that will help me figure out what may be the issue.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Thermo, yes i agree i learn a lot off these posts. i will update myself as soon as i learn how to mess with everything im new to this jaguar forum.
Now for my problem, yes the dash blower continues to run while the car is off and i have the standard controls that sit above the cd player. i am so lost at where to begin with this problem. i have been trying to google it for several days and nothing

Old 01-17-2014, 12:09 PM
Veteran member

kpmugga, let me look at my drawings and I will give you a few checks to do (currently at work). This should be fairly easy to figure out what is failed on your and we can take things from there.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:10 PM
Veteran member

kpmugga, the first thing that I want you to try is to get into the central junction box (the fuse box inside the passenger area). If you look, you will see Relay R19 top/center of the fuse box and just below it Relay R20. I want you to remove Relay R20 and set it off to the side and then remove Relay R19 and put it in the R20 spot. Does your blower motor still do the same thing? If no, then you need a new relay. Your local auto parts store should be able to get you a relay that will work to replace the R19 Relay.

If this doesn't change things, reinstall the relay in the R20 spot in the R19 spot. Now, with the original R20 relay still removed, look at the relay and you should see next to the metal posts (written into the plastic) numbers (1, 2, 3, 4, and 5). Find the numbers 1 and 2 and note which posts they are. Now, relate those posts to the slots in the fuse box (note which one is #2, which is #1). Using a multimeter, place the red lead into the slot for the #2 post and the black lead into the #1 spot with the multimeter set to read DC Voltage. With the car off (ie, keys removed), are you getting 12 VDC there? If yes, then you have a wiring issue and you need to let me know so we can do more investigation. If no, then you need to move the red lead over to the slot for post #3 (may need to grab the relay to find this). Are you getting 12 VDC now? If no, something is wrong with your measurements and it is probably best to start with the checks again and possibly even using a different relay than R19 to verify what is going on. If you are getting 12 VDC on #3 post slot, then you have a wiring issue most likely inside the fuse box where power is bypassing around the relay. If you want to diagnose further, let me know.

We can get this figured out for you. Most likely it is just that relay R20 is failed and it is stuck in the ON position.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by kpmugga
Hey thermo sorry to jump in this thread but i have a question i wanted to ask you. My 2002 jaguar x type 3.0 climate is coming on even after turning the car off which it shouldnt be, do you know what could be causing this problem???
Are you sure it is the blower fan from the climate control you hear? Is it a very faint sound? Does it sound like it is coming from the small little square that looks like a little vent just to the right of the steering wheel on the dash?