X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help,oil leak from transfer case!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 08:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help,oil leak from transfer case!

Hy to all,i am a mechanic from romania,and i have a big problem,in my garage it came an Jaguar x type 2.5 v6 from 2006 for oil pan gasket removal.but in this case the last screw is located behind the transfer case,so i have taked down the transfer box,replace the oil pan gasket ,re installed everything in reverse order,but now i have a leak from rh shaft seal,so i have buyed an after market seal 65 mm ext diameter 40 mm inside and widht 10 mm,i have inserted and drive bellow 100km h ,no problem , no oil leak ,after 100 km h i have leak,ok so i have replaced the seal with a inner 38 mm, il leaks again,I Mention that i have replaced all,including that metal bracket beetwen engine transfer case and exhaust manifold,i don t know what to do,because it is just not logic,are there 2 seals?do i need an original seal?for oil in transfer case i have removed the rear shaft ,and let all the oil to leak,and after that i have unscrewed with 15mm key the superior screw from transfer case who is located under exhaust catalyst an fill it from over there with Castrol Syntrax Limited Slip 75W140 OIL.WHAT IS WRONG ,OR WHERE MY MISTAKE IS?THANKS

Old 10-13-2014, 09:06 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a thought: How much fluid did you put in? If you put in too much, the extra blows out from the breather vent on the top of the case and runs down to the bottom.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:22 AM

600 ml,i think that when i removed the rear shaft,the one that goes to rear axle ,all the oil came out?!but lhe leax it is not from vent valve,i suppose that it came beetwen shaft and shaft seal,do i need an original shaft seal???i am a little paranoic so now i am wondering if it doesn t leak from that vent vale ,what is the purpose for this vent and how this work,what should i do?

Old 10-13-2014, 09:24 AM

how can i be sure if i haved removed all the oil from transfer box?before changeing the oil pan gasket the seal was not leaking,and the original seal does not seems to be destroyed,so....i have a big dillema

Old 10-14-2014, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

The correct seal is 65/40.

You emptied the transfer box in the way that Jaguar recommend for full drainage. If you remove only the rear oil seal, it leaves about 200mls.

How did you refill the transfer box? If you filled to the level of the plug you have only got 250 mls in. To get the other 350 in you have to tip the car up on one side to 540mm.

The attached document will guide you.

If you do overfill, the excess blows out of the vent on top of the box and runs down over the righthand shaft and oilseal and looks like an oil seal faiure

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Service Transfer Case.pdf (668.3 KB, 256 views)
Old 10-15-2014, 04:32 PM

So,let me start again,
For oil sump gasket replace,it was needed a transfer box removal,when i removed it,i did t drain the oil,just taked out the right shaft ,exhaust,brackets,etc,and remove it.After oil sump gasket replace,i was installing the transfer box,but before that i have saw a screw on top of the transfer box ,a screw that could be opened with a square key,i have removed the screw and install the transfer box,install the right shaft.After that i was thinking that openin the lateral square screw will be not suficient for all the oil to drain,so i have decided to remove the rear cover of transfer box,the case that connect the shaft that goes to rear axle.after oil drain i have installed the back cover in place,and because i didn t mounted the UPPER BOLT for the transfer box i had place to fill with 0.6l of oil...maybe 0.65....then i installed the filling screw and tightened with a custom 90 degree key.....hard but not impossibile,then with a 15 key i installed the last screw wich connect the transfer box to automatic gearbox.....and then got it to a ride...saw oil leak...chaged a seal with 40 mm interior...leaking....another with 38 mm interior....still leaking.....tommorow i will recive an jaguar original seal...and i will install it.....if it leak...i will dissasembly the entire transfer box ..and put inside two seals....i was thinking that maybe the shaft circlip is fxxxing the game,that maybe doesn t fix in place the shaft and it plays axialy.....

Old 10-15-2014, 04:37 PM

i need something for the front right shaft,not rear..

Old 10-16-2014, 02:52 AM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

How did you remove the right hand shaft. Did you just pull it and the intermediate shaft out from the transfer box before removing the transfer box. If so the retaining clip on the inner end of the intermediate shaft has torn a seal inside the transfer case allowing oil to leak from the gearbox into the transfer case and then out via the outer seal.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:10 PM

How do i check if the oil from transfer case is not mixing with the oil from automatic gearbox or vice versa?

Old 10-16-2014, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

As you have a method of re-filling the t'box, I would drain it through the plug in the side of the box, measuring how much comes out. Noting that 250mls will remain in the box, you can tell if there was more in there than you put in originally. You should also be able to tell if it is contaminated with transmission fluid.

Depending on what you find, you can refill with 350 mls or look for an internal seal problem. If you did remove the righthand drive shaft without disconnecting the intermediate shaft that runs right through the t'box, you may or, if you're lucky, not have damaged the internal seal between the t'box and the auto box. It's a difficult double seal to both obtain and to fit! Sorry about that!

It would seem that the oil only flows from the gearbox to the t'box if there's a damaged seal. Also if the auto box is losing oil you'll soon notice the gearbox acting strangely!

Keep the Forum informed and we'll try to help.

Last edited by astromorg; 10-16-2014 at 02:32 PM.