Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   X-Type ( X400 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/)
-   -   HELP -Red Blinking light of death!!! (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/help-red-blinking-light-death-63928/)

4bizonly 11-24-2011 12:50 AM

HELP -Red Blinking light of death!!!

Okay, I've only had the car a few short days. I was checking both key fobs and checking the panic alarm on both. After about 10 minutes when I went to start it the car wouldn't start. The red light above the DSC button just below the shifter flashed rapidly.
Everything worked and powered up, but it just wouldn't start the engine. I called Jag and they said to try to jump it... didn't work. Then they said to try to reset the alarm or something by locking the car with the key inserted in the door, then unlocking the same way... didn't work. Maybe it was in lock down mode or something. (I saw that in a post, not sure what it means) I thought I drained the battery, but the jump didn't work and every time I tried to start it all the lights, radio, nav screen and dash lights came on fine, but when I went to turn the key to start, the nav screen would go out and it wouldn't start. Then the red light (of death) flashed a pattern of 5 times, paused, then 1 time and repeated this pattern. The doors locked and unlocked just fine and the light stopped flashing when I locked it up. WTF!! lol I came back 90 minutes later and it started just fine. ???? Not that I'm complaining that it works now, but what caused this? Did I mess with the alarm and lock it up from starting? Does the car need to be reset or something? What does the flashing red light mean? Hate to be on the way to L.A. and have this happen in Baker or Victorville. (It's like Deliverance out there) lol

Gold_04_X-Type 11-24-2011 10:19 AM

The red light shows the status of the alarm system. In normal operation when the doors are locked, the system is armed and the red light flashes slowly.

When the system is armed it engages a starter immobilizer, so your no-start condition tells me that your key/fob failed to fully disarm the alarm system and communicate with the security module.

JimC64 11-24-2011 11:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 168492

well I was going to suggest something along the lines of immobiliser but looks like Gold04 has answered your query :icon_beerchug:

4bizonly 11-24-2011 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Gold_04_X-Type (Post 432432)
The red light shows the status of the alarm system. In normal operation when the doors are locked, the system is armed and the red light flashes slowly.
When the system is armed it engages a starter immobilizer, so your no-start condition tells me that your key/fob failed to fully disarm the alarm system and communicate with the security module.

Thanks guys. You're not going to believe what it was. The Dealer gave me 2 key fobs and a Valet key. As I was playing with both keys, they both worked fine except it was the 2nd keyfob that caused the problems. One keyfob works perfectly and the other does everything except start the car. The valet key works fina as well.
:icon_beerchug:
Weird, I guess I'll take it back Friday as I've read that you can program the fob (lock/unlock buttons etc) yourself. But in the key part of the fob, there is also a unique 'chip' which will only allow the engine to start if that chip code has been pre-programmed into the car. This is the programming that only a dealer can do. Either way the car is fine. It was just one bad key fob. lol

Lcgi 11-25-2011 10:00 PM

The reason why you get a flashing light with only one of the Key/Fob units.... is because the Key on the troublesome one.... has not been programmed to the car. (key has a sensor in it) Yes, it will open the doors but it will not start the car until it has been programmed to the Car (by Jaguar)

Note only TWO keys can be programmed to the Car... so when you visit your Jaguar Dealer/Service Centre.... make sure you take both Keys

OK..?

4bizonly 11-25-2011 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by LCGI (Post 432884)
The reason why you get a flashing light with only one of the Key/Fob units.... is because the Key on the troublesome one.... has not been programmed to the car. (key has a sensor in it) Yes, it will open the doors but it will not start the car until it has been programmed to the Car (by Jaguar)

Note only TWO keys can be programmed to the Car... so when you visit your Jaguar Dealer/Service Centre.... make sure you take both Keys

OK..?

Thanks. When you say only 2 keys can be programmed does that mean 2 key fobs and the valet key as well or only 2 the fobs?

Lcgi 11-25-2011 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by 4bizonly (Post 432899)
Thanks. When you say only 2 keys can be programmed does that mean 2 key fobs and the valet key as well or only 2 the fobs?

Forget about the FOBS..... you can program as many of those as you want (yourself) using the Fob programming sequence. (available here in TSB's)

What we are talking about here are the actual KEYS.
Each Key has a built-in sensor and must be programmed to the car - in order to start the vehicle - OK?

e.g.;
When you get a new Key cut - albeit it will open all the locks in the vehicle
it will not start the car.... until its programmed to the Car (by Jaguar)
This is indicated by the red flashing light and a warning in the Dash indicating Security Failure.
Only TWO such keys can be programmed to the Car.... and they must be programmed in the same session... so make sure you have both Keys with you when you go to Jaguar - OK?

Hope this clarifies things...

4bizonly 11-26-2011 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by LCGI (Post 432906)
What we are talking about here are the actual KEYS.
Each Key has a built-in sensor and must be programmed to the car - in order to start the vehicle - OK?
Only TWO such keys can be programmed to the Car.... and they must be programmed in the same session... so make sure you have both Keys with you when you go to Jaguar - OK?

So you're saying if I program both fobs (with pop-out key of course) that I can't use the valet key anymore? Right now 1 fob (with key) and the valet key both work, but the 2nd fob (with key) doesn't. That would mean anyone with a working valet key can not have more than one fob (with key) to start the car? I may as well just stick with my 2 working keys. 1 fob-w/key and 1 valet key. Kinda defeats the purpose of a spare fob to start the car if you need it quickly. Bummer

Lcgi 11-26-2011 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by 4bizonly (Post 432913)
So you're saying if I program both fobs (with pop-out key of course) that I can't use the valet key anymore? Right now 1 fob (with key) and the valet key both work, but the 2nd fob (with key) doesn't. That would mean anyone with a working valet key can not have more than one fob (with key) to start the car? I may as well just stick with my 2 working keys. 1 fob-w/key and 1 valet key. Kinda defeats the purpose of a spare fob to start the car if you need it quickly. Bummer

Note: Fobs don't start the car - they just provide keyless functions OK?

Imagine you bought the car with only One Key&FOB... that means that another Key&Fob is out there somewhere - that can access and start your Car (yes?)

The purpose of only being able to program TWO such units means that all others are excluded - giving you the security and peace of mind you need.

It sounds like someone got a new key cut and slipped it into a spare or another FOB? Then as you have discovered .... the new key will not start the car... as I say it has to be programmed to the Car by Jaguar.

The valet key scenario only holds true - providing the Two Main Keys are programmed first... AND the Valet Key is activated during that session also.
I have never seen or heard of a Valet Key for an X-Type... but maybe thats peculiar to the US market.

Hope this helps you understand the vehicle security better

Cheers,

motorcarman 11-26-2011 08:54 AM

I believe up to 5 transponders can be configured to the KTM and 5 keyfob transmitters to the SLCM.

I had a real estate customer that wanted 6 keys so all the agents had access to the car but only 5 could be configured, so they had 1 key that would only open the door and NOT start the engine.

I told them to bring it with them if they ever lost a key and we could configure it with the other 4 (so they would have 5 again!!)

bob gauff

Lcgi 11-26-2011 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by motorcarman (Post 432982)
I believe up to 5 transponders can be configured to the KTM and 5 keyfob transmitters to the SLCM.

I had a real estate customer that wanted 6 keys so all the agents had access to the car but only 5 could be configured, so they had 1 key that would only open the door and NOT start the engine.

I told them to bring it with them if they ever lost a key and we could configure it with the other 4 (so they would have 5 again!!)

bob gauff

Hi Bob,
Well all that is news to me.... I've only re-iterated here what was told to me by my local Jaguar Agent here in Brisbane. He was also perplexed at the very mention of Valet Keys - for an X-Type. (unheard of)

Still, the US FOB unit is different from the UK / Australian version so I guess there may also be different Key options too.

shula 10-06-2018 08:50 PM

I'm having the same problem. Everything was fine this morning, I filled the tank with gas, drove to work. After work I tried to start the car, as usual, and the red light started blinking. Not sure what caused it to start all the sudden? So sounds like
I need to take my keys to the Jaguar dealership, 100 miles away? Can't take the car, so guess they just need both key fobs? What caused it to stop working all the sudden? Getting an error code # P1638.

Dell Gailey 10-06-2018 09:00 PM

When you turn key to position 2 (NOT start) does the MIL come on and then extinguish? If not, that is a Jaguar notice that the immobilizer is activated.

Dell Gailey 10-06-2018 09:21 PM

You must have 2 original keys in the car. You can then program at least 5 keys.

Jaguar X Type Information - Program Remote Key Fob

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-crank-152412/

Also notice post #36 =

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...2/#post1948283

​​​​​​​

Dell Gailey 10-06-2018 09:33 PM

There was one question I had in watching your video. The PATS just kept fast flashing. It usually will flash the failure code = 1 then 2 or 1 then 3 etc.

Research says the PATS SHOULD flash rapidly for 1 to 2 minutes & then pause and then start flashing the failure code.

shula 12-28-2018 08:56 AM

Video Update

Brian A. 02-04-2023 06:53 PM

If the key is not programed correctly, or the security system is on, can you still turn the engine over?
I had a new key programed, the center console blinks then turns off, I can crank the engine but it will not start