X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tranny problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 08:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny problem

i have a 2002 xtype 3.0 awd..one day i was driving doing like 30 and all of sudden it lost acceleration power like it was in neutral..it didnt want to get no gear so i turn off the car waited for couples of minutes and it worked fine but my check engine light came on..i drove it home and now it take its gear but it hessitates to shift gears,i have to accelerated for it could shift gears..does anyone know wats going on?

Old 10-04-2013, 09:58 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

bklyn, I have to ask if you have recently (ie, just before this started to act up) if you either washed the car or ran through a good rain storm/puddle? The reason why I ask is the tranny computer is located at the base of the windshield and if the cowl there is not properly seated, the water will come down the window and pour on to the tranny computer and it has been known that the plug will get water inside of it and cause the computer to get mixed signals and do what you are talking about.

The other thing that I ask is you take the car to a local auto parts place and have them read the computer codes that are inside the computer (you should have some since the CEL came on). That will help us narrow down where the problem may be and give us a point to start looking.

Old 10-05-2013, 03:05 AM
GGG
Received 16,764 Likes on 12,153 Posts

bklyn,

I've moved your thread from General Tech Help to X-Type forum.

This is the place for questions about your vehicle.

Graham

Old 10-05-2013, 07:37 AM

i had the car towed to aamco and they said there is no code,they told me the tranny is slipping and its full of tranny fluid,watever that means..im looking for a second opion since they told me off the bat to sell it

Old 10-05-2013, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
bklyn, I have to ask if you have recently (ie, just before this started to act up) if you either washed the car or ran through a good rain storm/puddle? The reason why I ask is the tranny computer is located at the base of the windshield and if the cowl there is not properly seated, the water will come down the window and pour on to the tranny computer and it has been known that the plug will get water inside of it and cause the computer to get mixed signals and do what you are talking about.

The other thing that I ask is you take the car to a local auto parts place and have them read the computer codes that are inside the computer (you should have some since the CEL came on). That will help us narrow down where the problem may be and give us a point to start looking.
therno:i cant take it to the autopart cause its not running

Old 10-05-2013, 11:44 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

bklyn, then fine another car that you can use and then "rent" the code reader (ie, you will buy the code reader, but when you return it, you get all that money back). Then you can plug it into the port under the steering wheel (next to the hood release) and read the codes that way. All it takes to read codes is to plug in the reader, turn the ignition to the RUN position (do not need to start the motor) and then press "READ" on the reader. It will then bring up the codes for you. As to the specifics on the reader, you would have to read the book for the specific reader as they all function a little different.

Old 10-05-2013, 05:26 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've fixed two automatic transmission that silipped with a 1/4 cup of break fluid. It softens the seals and gives you at least 2 or 3 more years.