X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sat nav upgrade from standard equipment

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 04:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sat nav upgrade from standard equipment

Hey y’all, I’m super lost. I want to upgrade to the touchscreen gps/sat-nav unit and replace my current configuration which has two screens (oem), one for the radio display (lower) and one for the climate control (upper). From what I’m seeing, there are a few us options available for my vehicle, one of which appears to be discontinued. Because my 03’ has the headed front and rear windshield option, it appears that I’m narrowed down to C2S41097, and the discontinued C2S41099. The latter says that it is “with television” what all does that mean? I also am seeing that the last two digits (letters) of the Denso part numbers vary for these which I believe to be due to regional manufacture. If there’s another regionally manufactured part I should look for that still works with my car’s wiring I would appreciate the referral to those part numbers. Thanks y’all and sorry for the tall order 😂

Old 12-22-2019, 08:40 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Aiden, you have quite the list of questions here. So, here we go. The last 2 characters of a part number is a version number for said item. Sometimes this is a factor, other times it does not.

As for installing the new radio, I wish you luck. I say this as it is not simply just replacing the radio in the dash. You have a lot of other support modules that will be required to make it all work. I would say that if you are set on making this happen, you need to do 2 things. The biggest being that you need to find a locak wrecking yard that has a car in it with the radio that you are after. You are going to be taking a lot of modules out of this vehicle to install into yours along with some wiring harnesses. The other thing that I would make sure you can get is a signed letter from the wrekcing yard stating that you have legally bought said radio from car with VIN XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. I say this because some times the radio will require you to put in a code to allowt the radio to work. There is a supposed back door you can use to get into the radio (search here for "radio access code bypass". Otherwise, you will have to talk to the Jaguar dealership and they can look up the number for you. BUt, you have to prove ownership of the car VIN (hence the letter).

Keep in mind that you are going to need to also upgrade a lot of the venitilation system too. So, like I said, it is not a simple 20 wire upgrade and you are done. If you are looking to upgrade to NAV, you would be better served by pulling the radio (leaving the factory A/C panel) and then dropping in a new double DIN radio that has built in NAV.

Can you do it. YES. But, plan on ripping out most of the interio of the car to give you access to a lot of stuff. I am always one to take on tougher projects and do the things that others say can't be done. I looked at this and kinda made the assessment that for what it is going to cost, the outcome is not worth the work and money.

Old 12-23-2019, 04:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Let's not also forget to figure into this conversion that you need the dvd player in the trunk and all the associated optic cables, NAV disc and the last updated NAV disc is WAY OLD and outdated now. Also add in the cost to do this and putting in an aftermarket unit is SUBSTANTIALLY less money with more options.

@Aiden, do a SEARCH for member Dennis Black and his many threads on conversions, single din and double din installations.

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 12-23-2019 at 04:38 AM.
Old 12-23-2019, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Aiden, you have quite the list of questions here. So, here we go. The last 2 characters of a part number is a version number for said item. Sometimes this is a factor, other times it does not.

As for installing the new radio, I wish you luck. I say this as it is not simply just replacing the radio in the dash. You have a lot of other support modules that will be required to make it all work. I would say that if you are set on making this happen, you need to do 2 things. The biggest being that you need to find a locak wrecking yard that has a car in it with the radio that you are after. You are going to be taking a lot of modules out of this vehicle to install into yours along with some wiring harnesses. The other thing that I would make sure you can get is a signed letter from the wrekcing yard stating that you have legally bought said radio from car with VIN XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. I say this because some times the radio will require you to put in a code to allowt the radio to work. There is a supposed back door you can use to get into the radio (search here for "radio access code bypass". Otherwise, you will have to talk to the Jaguar dealership and they can look up the number for you. BUt, you have to prove ownership of the car VIN (hence the letter).

Keep in mind that you are going to need to also upgrade a lot of the venitilation system too. So, like I said, it is not a simple 20 wire upgrade and you are done. If you are looking to upgrade to NAV, you would be better served by pulling the radio (leaving the factory A/C panel) and then dropping in a new double DIN radio that has built in NAV.

Can you do it. YES. But, plan on ripping out most of the interio of the car to give you access to a lot of stuff. I am always one to take on tougher projects and do the things that others say can't be done. I looked at this and kinda made the assessment that for what it is going to cost, the outcome is not worth the work and money.
thanks Thermo I appreciate the advice. I think I’ll rip out my current setup and go with an aftermarket setup. I don’t want to tear up the interior of my car and go to all the work just for that.

Old 12-23-2019, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Dell Gailey
Let's not also forget to figure into this conversion that you need the dvd player in the trunk and all the associated optic cables, NAV disc and the last updated NAV disc is WAY OLD and outdated now. Also add in the cost to do this and putting in an aftermarket unit is SUBSTANTIALLY less money with more options.

@Aiden, do a SEARCH for member Dennis Black and his many threads on conversions, single din and double din installations.
Thanks Dell, I appreciate the advice.

Old 12-24-2019, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,049 Likes on 2,028 Posts

Originally Posted by Aidan2001
thanks Thermo I appreciate the advice. I think I’ll rip out my current setup and go with an aftermarket setup. I don’t want to tear up the interior of my car and go to all the work just for that.
If you look on the UK version of the Jaguar forums there are some write-ups there about doing the conversion. I have retrofitted the navigation to my car, but it's an all or nothing approach, you have to do a complete conversion. I had to make a new wiring harness, plus I bought the factory harness. The factory harness goes from the trunk mounted DVD player to the front fusebox, then the dash harnesses are different between a nav and non nav car, so I needed to make the nav portion of the dash harness.

Be aware that there are 3 separate computer networks that go through the climate control and radio system, if you go aftermarket they must support those networks. As an example, when I was in the middle of my conversion I had the radio unplugged and I wanted to move the car. It wouldn't even crank with the radio unplugged. Plugged the radio in and the car started. So be very careful before you proceed.

Here is the huge thread on the conversion: https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=7735

Old 12-24-2019, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,049 Likes on 2,028 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
The other thing that I would make sure you can get is a signed letter from the wrekcing yard stating that you have legally bought said radio from car with VIN XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. I say this because some times the radio will require you to put in a code to allowt the radio to work. There is a supposed back door you can use to get into the radio (search here for "radio access code bypass". Otherwise, you will have to talk to the Jaguar dealership and they can look up the number for you. BUt, you have to prove ownership of the car VIN (hence the letter).
You don't need to do that. There are services on the web that will sell you the code if you put in the serial number. That's how I did it for a radio bought off ebay uk. I think it was around $25.

Old 12-24-2019, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 386 Likes on 284 Posts
Old 12-25-2019, 10:16 AM
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

I'll chime in here real quick as I'm currently installing double-din unit in my '07. I first chose a Kenwood DDX-396 and it's a fantastic unit in looks, features, and sound quality. I was able to reflash the OS to have a leaper screen display when the unit powered on. The package came with a Metra installation kit (fascia, antenna adaptor, X-Type to aftermarket radio wiring harness) and I added a ASWC-1 steering wheel control unit.

After assembling the whole unit on the workbench it should've been a matter of fitting it to the car, plugging in a few cables and done. Not quite.. I learned the hard way that the X-Type dash is not deep enough to accept a standard double-din unit, it's off by a good inch or so causing the Kenwood to hit against the AC suitcase before it can fit into the fascia properly . I called Crutchfield and they gave me fantastic deal on upgrading to a Kenwood DMX-706S which is about half as deep as the DDX-396.

Last edited by BlownKitty; 12-25-2019 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12-25-2019, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

I agree with others that going to the original system is hardly an upgrade, probably the opposite . I am grateful my car had the standard system and I have been able to upgrade relatively pain free to my wireless applecarplay configuration