Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-Type

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 11:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-Type

Hi all...

I just bought my first Jaguar, 2003 X-Type 2,5 V6 AWD...Live in Norway and am having some difficulties getting in touch with Jaguar Norway and getting answers to a few things.... Main issue is the onboard mounted phone (a Motorola). This model has the Navigation unit as well and in this display it reads 'Phone is turned off'...& there is no power on the phone either... What to do to get this up and running ?

Apart from that the car is a beautiful work of art & a great ride...needed the AWD option due to severe weather conditions come winter and all. Have a Jeep as well which is currently driven by my wife...

Anyway, hoping for a few answers...
Thanks a lot...

Best regards, Ben

Old 12-04-2013, 01:11 PM
Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Have you checked the fuses?

The reason i ask is because i have just bought an X type and the air con was not working thinking it needed a re gas i ask a guy that deals with coach and bus air con to take a look he reported an electrical issue.

I checked the fuse and it had blown replaced and now working.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:24 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Noone, when you hit the phone button on the steering wheel, does the radio say that the phone module is not fitted or does it try to make connection with the phone? A lot of our cars have the same radio as you and have the phone button on the steering wheel, but they are not connected up. You would have to get the phone module and then add it to your car. They run around $400 USD as I recall plus any install that you might have to pay for.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:42 PM
Default X-Type phone issues...

A turn of events from yesterday (the onboard computer gizmo thing changed its mind :-) )... Now the display in the NAV unit says 'Phone not fitted'- 'There is no phone fitted to this system'...this after I mounted the SIM card in the phone, but I do believe that it had nothing to do with it since the phone never had any power (blank display in the phone) in the first place...

But, since the phone is mounted in the car and fitted/connected with a cable, does this still mean that I need an xtra module fitted ?

Best regards, Ben

Old 12-04-2013, 11:46 PM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

NoOneGetsOutOfHereAlive - I'm not sure of the solution to your problem, but am rather compelled to inquire about your "nickname".

Is yours just an observation on life in general, or is it specific to Norway?

I had been hoping to someday visit Norway, the land and people of my ethnic heritage.

I'm just curious if I would be wasting my money on a return ticket?

Last edited by Bruce in North Dakota; 12-05-2013 at 05:56 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:59 AM

Hi, Bruce...
There is a story behind the 'nickname', but kind of personal, and of course in addition a general observation on life itself since I've never heard of anyone to survive :-) ...
But, no, it has nothing to do with Norway as a whole and it IS a beautiful country but foremost a safe country to live in. So, You are more than welcome to visit or stay...especially since it is Yours as well...ethnic heritage and all !!

All the best, Ben

Old 12-05-2013, 01:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

I've been to Norway and back, still alive and kicking.

Since you have the satnav, you might check the diagnostics menu. Press and hold 'Menu' and 'Telephone' keys simultaneously, then when prompted for input code "1971". That should allow you to view and define what extras are specified to the car, so that should make it possible to enable an added feature that wasn't perhaps configured for that vehicle at the factory.

Don't change any other settings, seriously, there be dragons.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:39 AM

Thanks, Aonsaithya..
Will try that...I'll keep You updated on progress...

If that does'nt work, I might have to acquire the GSM module, I guess ?
In that case, does anyone here know which is the right one ?

Is this the one ?

Best regards, Ben

Old 12-05-2013, 05:18 AM
Default X-Type phone issues

Once again I don't come out on top... :-)
Tried the diagnostics option, but the phone is 'ticked' off as 'existing' in my car and there is no way to 'tick off' and then on again...

So, the onboard computer gizmo thing still keeps me in the dark.... :-)

Any other ideas ?

Thanks for any input...

Best regards, Ben

Old 12-06-2013, 01:29 AM
Default Oil ?

Seems I need to talk to a dealer with regards to the phone issues...keeps alternating between messages 'Phone not fitted', 'Phone is turned off' and so on...

Well, anyway, I have another question : In the manual it is stated that Jaguar does not recommend the use of synthetic oil... does this mean that one must use mineral oil ?

Or can one use semi-synthetic oil ?

Appreciate any input.

Best regards, Ben

Old 12-06-2013, 12:07 PM

Hello everyone can some one help me? i have jaguar x type 2003 2.1L and i have a problem i can't find the fuel injectors in my cantry for 2.1L engine and i finde 2.5L engine injectors and can i put that injectors and it's will work?

Old 12-06-2013, 03:39 PM
Veteran member

noone, when it comes to engine oil, we have discussed it more times than I will care to admit to. Others swear by full synthetic oil and how it gained them XXX in mileage and the car seems to run so much smoother, etc. Others have used full synthetic oil and said that their mileage remained the same, the motor ran the same, everything was the same except for the amount of money in their wallet.

Please keep in mind that when the X-Type was first built, Jaguar did say in the manual not to use synthetic oil of any kind. They never state in the book why, but it has been concluded here that it was due to the VVT parts of the engine (as it uses the viscosity of the oil to control where the valve timing occurs). But, as I mentioned earlier, others have used full synthetic oil with not ill effects.

If you think using full synthetic oil is worth the extra money, then by all means use it. You are not going to hurt anything in the car. If you think that only a blended oil (part dino oil, part synthetic) is the way to go, then you can go that route too. I have tried the gambit and I found no significant changes in my car when switching from one type of oil to another.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:04 AM

Thanks, Thermo...that did answer most of my questions regarding oil... Will probably go for fully synthetic come next oil change since 'Dino oil' actually is hard to come by here in Norway and especially at the recommended viscosity. Came across some 10w 40 Mineral oil yesterday...hopefully it will be OK for topping purposes ?

By the way, Thermo, could You check out my previous link to the phone module and see if You can recognize it to be the correct one ?

Thanks a whole bunch :-)

Best regards, Ben

Old 12-07-2013, 08:31 AM
Veteran member

Noone, if you are topping off oil during the summer with 10W-40 oil, that should not be a problem. In the winter, you would be better off topping off with say 5W-20 oil than the 10W-40. There is a letter out there that says even though the owners manual recommends 5W-30 oil for the car, use of 5W-20 is preferred to gain mileage and will have no negative effects on the vehicle.

As for the phone issue, I know very little about it. I know that there is a separate module that needs to be wired up to the radio to make it work and if I remember right, there is supposed to be a cradle that gets mounted in the center console for you to place your phone in. But, beyond that, I am not much help.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:23 AM

Thanks, Thermo...
Appreciate all the help...
The phone is mounted in my car, but the onboard computer gizmo thing seemed to not be able to settle its 'mind' around whether I had a phone or not... Now it seems that it has decided that I don't have one... :-)

Anyway, not a big issue, but it would be nice to be able to use the already mounted phone since it supposedly supports HF instead of mounting some sort of xtras in the car to get HF functionality...

Thanks a lot, all the same.

Best regards, Ben

Old 12-08-2013, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

I don't believe the onboard phone was ever fitted without the module - you get both or neither. Checking fuses was mentioned earlier, but have you?

The ones feeding the phone module are F71, 15A and F78, 5A. There is also F69, 7.5A but as that feeds many other items, you would probably have noticed that if it blew. All these fuses are in the Passenger Compartment Fuse Box at the back of the glove box. (Or is that on the driver's side for Left Hand Drive?)

Last edited by astromorg; 12-08-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:12 AM

Thanks for the input, Astromorg...
Will check the fuses...the reason why I did'nt in the first place, was that it was stated in the manual that there was only ONE fuse related to the phone and that fuse 'supported' a lot of other stuff as well...and since the other stuff worked fine... :-) Well, You catch my drift... Anyhow, thanks a bunch !!

Best regards, Ben

Old 12-11-2013, 02:25 AM

Hi...
Did check the fuses and they are intact...any other ideas ?
Greatly appreciated...

Worst case, I'll have to do without...but I hate giving up !!
Might take a trip to see a dealer about it, but nearest one is 150km away...

Best regards, Ben

Old 12-11-2013, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

I would suggest that you check and clean if necessary, the connections to the Phone Control Module. It's located with the Navigation Module, CD Multi-Changer (if you have one) and other modules, depending on which options are fitted. They are all in the lefthand side of the boot, behind the trim panel and all interconnected though an optical fibre system. They each have more normal electrical connections as well. A 2 way and a 32 way black connector for the phone module. While you're there it would be worth checking that the ground/earth points in that area are all good - four altogether! Phone module is on the front one.

After that there's the Handset/Receiver unit in the centre console that also has a multi-wire connector joining it to the module in the boot/trunk.

A final long shot might be to disconnect the battery and reconnect to reset the module. You may need your radio code to restart the radio and the windows will require resetting by lowering window and holding the switch down until it clicks, then raise window and hold switch until it clicks.

Last edited by astromorg; 12-11-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:50 AM

Hi again....

Just checked the connectors, cables and so forth...All seem fine and contact points are clean... Will check the power to the module in the boot using a multimeter...

Any other ideas would be appreciated...:-)

Best regards, Ben

Quick Reply: X-Type