X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XType Engine light issue

Old 01-13-2014, 01:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation XType Engine light issue

Hello and thanks for viewing

I am new to Jaguar and I am have a problem with mine, it all started when a breather pipe split at the top of the engine, and the engine management light on and also the red warning light, I replaced the pipe myself as it was an easy thing to do, but the engine management light still stayed on, a garage cleared this for me with a OBD2 fault finding device. However the engine light came back on 2 weeks later, so i decided to invest in an ODB2 Device as every time i asked a garage it was costing me £40 just to get the error code. I recently decided to have a full service on the car and the garage changed a couple of sensors which they told me were the problems. The engine light appeared again after 4 weeks, and i did a fault finding of my own with my device and got an error code of P1642 which i found to be a (CAN Link Circuit issue) after searching the internet
I know an ex Jaguar mechanic who looked at it last week and he said he thought it was the Lambda sensor, he cleaned the sensor and the light went off again, again 2 days later it came back on...My problem is that i can delete this error code with my ODB2 and I can drive all day in the Jaguar, however as soon as i stop and restart the engine of the Jaguar the engine light comes back on?

Can anyone help, as I have spent a fortune on this Jaguar and I do love the car but I cannot sort this out without someone’s help? Please remember i am no mechanic. I am looking at selling my X Type very reluctantly and get an S Type I have seen and also fell in love with, but i don’t want to sell my X Type this on with this engine light issue...

Anyone’s help will be more that welcome...
Thanks for reading...

Old 01-13-2014, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

If it's P1642 each time I think you're most likely looking at a wiring issue (like a chafed harness) so an auto-sparky or a jag indy who understands electronics is needed. DIY isn't going to be too easy. Could be time-consuming, which is bad news I'm afraid.