I've decided to go sport

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 10:12 AM
M9G
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default I've decided to go sport

My X is black with full black leather and chrome trim

I do not like full leather seats and chrome in my opinion is too "grandad"

Took delivery today of a complete black half leather interior including door cards from a sport so has the bigger bolsters

I have found 2 front black bumper trims on fleabay so am waiting delivery of them, decided to remove the rear ones and paint them along with the grille which i'll modify and mesh and paint black and also the chrome strip over the doors.

I dont think i'll put a boot lip on, unsure of the look - and give it a couple of months and i'll be looking for a nice set of 18" multi-spoke wheels

Thats the plan :-)

Old 07-17-2013, 10:48 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I actually like the chrome trim on the bumpers and grill. I guess I'm the minority as changing it to match the color of the car seems to be a popular upgrade. I think it's just the right amount- any more chrome would be poor taste. Like when folks add chrome pillar trim or mirror covers- although I think the chrome mirror covers may have been a factory option?

Anyone want to sell me their chrome bumper trim??? Mine is peeling in some spots.

The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (07-17-2013)
Old 07-17-2013, 11:05 AM
M9G

Originally Posted by oldpunk
I actually like the chrome trim on the bumpers and grill. I guess I'm the minority as changing it to match the color of the car seems to be a popular upgrade. I think it's just the right amount- any more chrome would be poor taste. Like when folks add chrome pillar trim or mirror covers- although I think the chrome mirror covers may have been a factory option?

Anyone want to sell me their chrome bumper trim??? Mine is peeling in some spots.
try the usual auction site - when i looked on the UK one there was loads of chrome ones

Old 07-17-2013, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by M9G
My X is black with full black leather and chrome trim

I do not like full leather seats and chrome in my opinion is too "grandad"

Took delivery today of a complete black half leather interior including door cards from a sport so has the bigger bolsters

I have found 2 front black bumper trims on fleabay so am waiting delivery of them, decided to remove the rear ones and paint them along with the grille which i'll modify and mesh and paint black and also the chrome strip over the doors.

I dont think i'll put a boot lip on, unsure of the look - and give it a couple of months and i'll be looking for a nice set of 18" multi-spoke wheels

Thats the plan :-)
I'm with you on the chrome removal.

My X type 2.5 Sport was lovely with very little chrome, just the way I liked it.

My son has recently got into an X type Sport

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...premium-96977/

There is zero chrome apart from the rear bootlid plinth.

This will be getting changed to body colour at some point and hopefully with the modification of white LEDS as per the post too.....should look good.

M9G (07-17-2013)
Old 07-17-2013, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Hi Guys,
Grandad here! Ha ha

You either like it or you don't and I've had the Sport which I now own and the SE with CHROME!! I must say the previous (SE) (Nice chrome with platinum silver!) was better kept and doesn't have the wear and tear like the recent one I bought.

Bottom line, I think they are an understated car, a fantastic car and I Love mine, especially the AWD and congratulations Jim, bringing jaguar into the family fold!

He must be a Lucky guy with all your expertise to guide him along the way.

I personally won't be making too many adjustments as I do not want my vehicle to be associated with little farting cars with extra large wheels who have to show off and overtake everyone.

My car can do it, I know. Anyhow, Good Luck Guys and stay happy!!

Trim, fenders, spoilers, you guys have too much money, mind you if it were a Ducati..... er sorry wrong forum.. Drat!

Seriously though, you like what you like and you have to spoil your baby! I must admit I liked the newer more square X Types but wasn't keen on the 2.2 diesel as I am a fan of the AJ- V6 petrol and hate the hidden exhausts on newer cars, I dunno, it just doesn't look right, having said that it's someone elses baby, I'm talking about! I also like the mesh grills, but would feel rather anti if someone suggested I was trying to make the motor look like the newer model, hmm.

In that sense, I'll shut up and if it makes you feel good, you like it then hey go to it!

And if they call me an old man once again, er where's ma stick......

Regards, I need some fresh air

Old 07-17-2013, 03:40 PM
M9G

blimey!!!!! did you pause for breath when typing that

I know what you mean about boying it up but i'm not planning on doing that, must admit though after fitting the back seats it does look a bit mondeo in there - but hey I loooooooooove mondeos especially the ST which I have had a few off

Stuart Beattie (07-18-2013)
Old 07-17-2013, 03:43 PM
M9G

Originally Posted by JimC64

I'm with you on the chrome removal.

My X type 2.5 Sport was lovely with very little chrome, just the way I liked it.

My son has recently got into an X type Sport

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...premium-96977/

There is zero chrome apart from the rear bootlid plinth.

This will be getting changed to body colour at some point and hopefully with the modification of white LEDS as per the post too.....should look good.
Just looked at the pics in the link and oh yeah baby nice **** :-) - see thats why i want to de-chrome

Old 07-17-2013, 03:54 PM
M9G

I need to find someone who has done a front seat swap so think i'll start a new post to catch their eye - hopefully!!!!!!

Old 07-17-2013, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

+1 on the Mondeos ST's .....had 2 myself!

Good luck with the changeover

Old 07-17-2013, 08:35 PM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

I too want to de-chrome my car. I'm not a fan of chrome at all. Hopefully in the fall I'll be able to have my mina front lip painted and all the chrome trim painted then too. All that will be left of the chrome will be the leaper and the exhaust tips. But I am thinking about taking some of that black chrome paint to the leaper...

Old 07-18-2013, 12:09 AM
M9G

Originally Posted by Justink201
I too want to de-chrome my car. I'm not a fan of chrome at all. Hopefully in the fall I'll be able to have my mina front lip painted and all the chrome trim painted then too. All that will be left of the chrome will be the leaper and the exhaust tips. But I am thinking about taking some of that black chrome paint to the leaper...
At a later date I will be looking for a replacement bonnet(hood) without the leaper, not my thing

Old 07-18-2013, 12:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Justink201
I've seen black chrome leapers for sale on eBay, might or might not be an easier or longer-lasting option.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:19 AM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Attached Thumbnails I've decided to go sport-img_20121004_120738.jpg  
Old 07-18-2013, 03:12 AM
M9G

^^^^^^ see de-chromed is nicer :-)

Old 07-18-2013, 05:41 AM
Veteran Member

Ahhhh, she's your BABY!
Nice and interesting words guys, regarding my earlier comments and yours, M9G, I do get carried away now and then and hey why not? She's all YOURS!
Oh and what's mine is mine.

M9G (07-18-2013)
Old 07-18-2013, 07:15 AM
M9G

I've decided for now to leave the leather in as I'm unsure until someone tells me for deffo what needs to be done to the seats, its a bit vague some are saying about the sensor in the seat needs swapping over but someone else said na he just swapped them and all was fine.

I dont want to be stripping all the covers off and pulling the foam about to get at everything, done that before and they never go back quite right, so black leather is staying. I change the back seat and although I got the non folding seat in i wasnt about seeing the foam back through the boot but i am continuing with the de-chrome and have sprayed the front grille same colour as car and decided not to mesh just at the moment as the original vertical bars will need cutting off so i have also sprayed them, just waiting for this baking hot sun to dry them off then i'll re-fit the grille this evening.

So if anyone wants a complete black half leather sports interior with door cards then I'll sell them for what they cost me which is £140 in all, this will have to be collection only unless you arrange courier, if your interested pm me

Old 07-18-2013, 07:31 AM
Veteran Member
Smile Yep, story of my LIFE!

"done that before and they never go back quite right!"
Well said, I know that feeling too well, Good Luck with the X Type and I'm sure you'll have it just right in good time!
It's always a combination, a bit of luck, money, time and so much commitment, Happy Days to you and Your Car!
Stu

M9G (07-18-2013)
Old 07-18-2013, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by M9G
At a later date I will be looking for a replacement bonnet(hood) without the leaper, not my thing
I've though about this too, but I have a feeling the cost of a leaperless hood would just cost too much. I don't hate the leaper enough haha

Originally Posted by Aonsaithya
I've seen black chrome leapers for sale on eBay, might or might not be an easier or longer-lasting option.
I'll have to look into this, although I have a feeling this too might be more than I want to spend at the moment, I still have many more important mods to buy

Old 07-18-2013, 02:21 PM

btw you might just want to try swapping the seats out and seeing what happens. They are pretty seat to take out, and only have one large plug. I took mine out, and I don't even use the factory seats anymore and the only problem I have is the airbag light is always on now. I hardly notice it now. No drivability problems though.

M9G (07-18-2013)
Old 07-18-2013, 02:59 PM
M9G

Airbag light on here would be an MOT failure and I have children so would rather be safe, from what i see the seats have to be completely taken apart and stripped down and they never look the same when you put them back together so would rather leave it and just go for the de-chrome, maybe one day i'll sell her and get a sport

Quick Reply: I've decided to go sport