X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

destroyed

Old 02-09-2021, 08:49 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default destroyed

I am very sad to report my lovely and mint 2003 X Type 3.0 has given its life to save mine. Three days ago I was driving from Victoria BC to my home on Quadra Island. I was stopped in a line up of vehicles at a set of lights in the town of Duncan. Behind me was an older Ford half-ton, also stopped. A fool in another half-ton, not paying attention, ran into the half-ton behind me at highway speed, driving it into me with incredible force. The car crumpled as it was designed to do, putting the trunk into the back seat but allowing me and my passenger to walk away from the accident. We are quite hurt. Both of us have whiplash and soft tissue injuries, but we are alive. The car is done. We impacted the car in front of us, damaging the radiator. The radio and CD player were blown right out of the dash and the back window was in the back seat. I'm very sad to lose the car. I do dialysis three times a week and need to travel 65km to get there. The car never failed me, even in the worst weather. I had grown to love the car and it was a perfect match for my summer car, 1999 XK8. I will post pictures of the damage when I'm in an area with cell coverage. I am hoping to find an AWD replacement - hopefully, a Jag. My problem is that there is currently very little available nearby. Will just have to keep looking...

The ladies, taken a few weeks ago.

The following users liked this post:
BlownKitty (02-09-2021)
Old 02-09-2021, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,124 Likes on 1,301 Posts

A terrible story. But you were protected by the structural integrity of the X-Type, a testament to its strength. I am happy that you were not badly injured - distinct possibility, given the force of the impact. I assume that the RCMP charged the driver of the truck that caused so much damage?
I might be able to help you to find an X-Type in Victoria if you send me a personal message.

Old 02-10-2021, 10:49 AM

Thanks for your kind offer to find another X Type, Gregory. I have been looking online since the accident and see there are a couple of X Types for sale on the Island. Sadly, none are the beautiful match for my XK8 as the wrecked one was, but beggars can't be choosers I guess. I see that you are a true Jaguar nut, as I have become. If you do hear of a nice 3.0 X Type, I would love to hear about it I've posted a picture of the wreck below

the aftermath - my beautiful car...

Last edited by Rigelprime; 02-10-2021 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-10-2021, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member

Just horrible...but you walked away. If a Jaguar wagon would appeal to you send me a personal note (I might know of one for sale): My wife has been driving her manual shift F-Type for 18 years - super-reliable and a joy to drive - a twin of yours, in fact. My car is the beautifui wagon:

Old 02-10-2021, 12:49 PM
Default Thank you

Her car and mine could have been twins! And your wagon is equally beautiful. I just love those autos. I feel great driving them and love the performance and handling. I would consider a wagon as well. The only model I'm not too interested in is the 2.5 X Type as the transmission is suspect and the performance is not as good. I would buy your wife's car in a heartbeat lol...

Old 02-10-2021, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member

My wife has no intention of ever giving up her X-Type, sorry. In 18 years of daily use, outside 24 hours a day, 365 days of those 18 years, it has had just 3 minor repairs: oxygen sensor, water pump and replacement of a stripped nylon gear on the driver's seat up/down motor. An absolute joy to drive with the manual transmission.
As a point of information, both the 2.5 and the 3.0 cars use the same JATCO 506E transmission...but I prefer the manual shift - (even) quieter, more economical, and with a nicer engine note than the automatic (about which I have no complaint)
Let me investigate a bit for you.

Last edited by sov211; 02-10-2021 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-10-2021, 09:10 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,822 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Rigelprime, good to hear that you are doing good after an accident like that. I think you are going to find that getting another X-Type like you had locally is going to be difficult. You may need to open up the search area some and be willing to take a long weekend vacation to look at the car and potentially drive it home. The other option that I would propose is you look for an AWD XF. Yes, it is a bit more car, but it is going to have the critical AWD that I think you are after. The turbo 2.0L engine should put the car on par with the X-Type for mileage and power. You step up to the 3.0L supercharged engine and you are going to have a fun little car on your hands. I guess the other potential is to look for a 2.0L XE AWD. This car is definitely going to run more than an X-Type, but you are getting something that is 10+ years newer. Not sure what sort of budget you are looking at. Just tossing out some other options that you may not have considered.

Old 02-10-2021, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 585 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by Rigelprime
Thanks for your kind offer to find another X Type, Gregory. I have been looking online since the accident and see there are a couple of X Types for sale on the Island. Sadly, none are the beautiful match for my XK8 as the wrecked one was, but beggars can't be choosers I guess. I see that you are a true Jaguar nut, as I have become. If you do hear of a nice 3.0 X Type, I would love to hear about it I've posted a picture of the wreck below

the aftermath - my beautiful car...
Its just a flesh wound.... Good to read that you are ok. Sad that another X-type is off the road.

Old 02-11-2021, 09:42 AM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

(I always suspected that there was a third way to get to that fuel pump)

Wow.

Old 02-15-2021, 05:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So Sad. Wish I were closer. I will be selling my 2002 X Type 3.0 in BRG soon, but I'm in Oregon near Astoria. I acquired her from the original owners estate. Sold New at monte Shelton Jaguar in Portland. just turned 99,870 original miles. Car had been stored indoors for three years when I got her, so I have replaced all 4 O2 sensors, new plugs, Coil Packs, Recharged Air, replaced Alternator, New Battery, and both battery cables. New serpentine Belt , and changed Oil to mobile One. Have all original books and Cd's. Tires are 80%. Runs great and I shall miss her. Moving to Thailand. $3400. Clean Oregon title with new Plates for two years. Hope She goes home to a fellow Jag Lover.

Last edited by speedwaymike; 02-15-2021 at 05:29 PM. Reason: errors