Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kenwood KNA-G510 Add-on navigation system

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 09:09 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts
Default RE: Kenwood KNA-G510 Add-on navigation system

Good unit, its actually made by Garmin (GVN 53) for kenwood. I have had one installed on my car as well to replace the outdated (and never to have current maps) nav system. It is very easy to install. Audio out to the deck, video output into your deck, power, audio mute lead, and of course the ground. There isn't even a parking brake wire..instead, there is a software setting that allows the 'safety' setting to be turned on or off. (Safety setting being no access to the address typing, etc). If the deck is nav ready, it should be really easy. You may have to switch sources to get from nav screen to say...the DVD source. But, turn by turn audio should still work and interrupt , regardless if it is in the NAV source. g'luck!

Old 05-29-2008, 12:11 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Fuse box...they really mean to EITHER the fuse box, or a constant power wire in the car somewhere...if it were an amp though, it would go directly to the battery. The rear of your deck will have the power already connected, just splice...and the remote lead will be on the rear of the deck too...again, splice. It looks like the kenwood unit DOES have a parking brake lead for safety reasons. Just ground it so you don't have to deal with that. (splice to the ground wire on the deck too)

Old 06-01-2008, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey schmidty if I were you I'd run a new wire for the double din and for the navigation from the fuse box if there isn't already one. Most of the time even aftermarket single din normal cd players recommend running a dedicated wire to your radio. The stock wire is pretty thin. I'd imagine that double din has a 15 or 20 amp fuse on the back of the radio. Especially when you consider your radio puts out what 88 watts rms and the stock radio probably doesn't put out more than 20.

How's that kicker set up working for ya? I never got to see any pics or vids???

Old 06-02-2008, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member

Thats crazy! Man I want to hear it! You might want to think about double coating it with dynamat. Which one did you get original or extreme? How many square feet did you buy? Let me know if you need some more I get deals on it so let me know if I can help ya out. I'll be in michigan from the 10th to 16th so let me know...glad it sounds good! Bet it bumps pretty good with that 550.2 pretty nice amp ain't it? Bet that kicker factory box makes those speakers sound good too...

Old 06-02-2008, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member

Seriously don't spend 700 bucks for a box man! It ain't worth it! I can guarantee a pro could put a few layers of dynamat to solve the problem. The other thing you have to figure is that once you seal that trunk off the rest of the car is going to vibrate and make noises elsewhere so there really isn't any getting around it. The dynamat should keep even more bass into the vehicle so I'd imagine that thing sounds a bit louder doesn't it? The other thing some people do is spray foam in cracks and crevices to seal it off and not allow metal to cling. If you want to learn some stuff go to stevemeadedesigns.com and put all your information on there. They have a great wealth of knowledge when it comes to car audio.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I like the idea of swapping out the stock Radio with a Stock Nav System

I saw it posted somewhere. A member got a stock Jaguar Nav system and just swapped it with the stock Radio. And everything worked, and looked great.