Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   X-Type ( X400 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/)
-   -   Key separate from fob (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/key-separate-fob-34965/)

thomash85715 03-23-2010 10:17 PM

Key separate from fob

Hi: I have read the sticky about fob programming several times including the part about erasing which is a completely different procedure and I am confused.
My 02 2.5 sport which I just got only came with one well-worn remote and key combo. I would like a second as backup without paying the $400 our dealer gets.
A local locksmith can cut a key containing a x-ponder but it will have no buttons for lock and unlock. I don't see how I can do the programming procedure as described on here for a solitary key as the procedure calls for a push of any button on the new fob which so far will not exist.
UNLESS: I buy the fob only from the keyless website another post-er refers to. Let's say I get a key only from my local guy and a fob only from the web vendor, will the programming procedure described in the FAQ sticky on here make both the new separate devices work as if they were an integrated factory dual device?
Thank you. --Tom

JagXV6 03-25-2010 09:31 AM

Why would you need a seperate key? Just have the one that COMES with the new remote cut. Or do you want 3 keys???

androulakis 03-25-2010 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by thomash85715 (Post 188047)
Hi: I have read the sticky about fob programming several times including the part about erasing which is a completely different procedure and I am confused.
My 02 2.5 sport which I just got only came with one well-worn remote and key combo. I would like a second as backup without paying the $400 our dealer gets.
A local locksmith can cut a key containing a x-ponder but it will have no buttons for lock and unlock. I don't see how I can do the programming procedure as described on here for a solitary key as the procedure calls for a push of any button on the new fob which so far will not exist.
UNLESS: I buy the fob only from the keyless website another post-er refers to. Let's say I get a key only from my local guy and a fob only from the web vendor, will the programming procedure described in the FAQ sticky on here make both the new separate devices work as if they were an integrated factory dual device?
Thank you. --Tom

There are two types of keys.

Remote FOB Keys, and POST Keys. The post key looks pretty much like a regular car key. Has no remote in it. It still needs to be programmed to the ignition via the Jaguar IDS computer - as does a Remote FOB key as well. The two parts of the key are programmed separately...

First the actual key needs to be programmed to start the car using the Jag IDS computer - so it will recognize the transponder.

Second the "keyless" remote portion needs to be programmed via the procedure.

A user can NOT program a key to start the car.

I have a bunch of extra remote fobs if you need one, you can use your existing key head and just snap in a clean remote.

George

thomash85715 03-25-2010 12:18 PM

George: This is valuable insight which helps me a lot. The IDS computer is of course the big snag here which partly explains the dealer charges.
To the other post-er who asked in reply why I would want a fob-less key, the answer is that I do not want a fob-less key but was hoping to find a way to self-program one since one is available at a reasonable price.
Back to your reply though George: if I had a post key physically cut but not programmed, would it not mechanically unlock the door if I happened to lock the key-fob in the car? It would be better than nothing at all, yes? That was my main idea in getting one. But if you can provide me a programmable fob, that would be even better.
Thank you both for answering. This forum is great. --Tom in Tucson

androulakis 03-25-2010 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by thomash85715 (Post 188578)
George: This is valuable insight which helps me a lot. The IDS computer is of course the big snag here which partly explains the dealer charges.
To the other post-er who asked in reply why I would want a fob-less key, the answer is that I do not want a fob-less key but was hoping to find a way to self-program one since one is available at a reasonable price.
Back to your reply though George: if I had a post key physically cut but not programmed, would it not mechanically unlock the door if I happened to lock the key-fob in the car? It would be better than nothing at all, yes? That was my main idea in getting one. But if you can provide me a programmable fob, that would be even better.
Thank you both for answering. This forum is great. --Tom in Tucson

A post key, or a remote key head (just the top half with the metal part) are about the same price, from the dealer anyway. - You can get post keys for 14.99 on ebay.

Yes a mechanical key, whether remote or post, will unlock, but not start a car without being programmed. Also an interesting tidbit, any Jag key will physically lock any Jag...

I have 4 remote fobs (actually complete keys) but they are already cut. Let me know what you need.

George

thomash85715 03-25-2010 04:50 PM

George, when you say any jag key will physically unlock any jag, do you mean after it has been physically cut to match an original? Or are you saying they are all cut with the same physical pattern? This is a TIBBI key from what I can determine; the one that looks like a big nail with flat spots ground onto the business end.
Also, I am wondering if my original key is physically present inside the car at such time as I might try to start it with an un-programmed foreign post key that physically fits, will the onboard computer sense the real key being present and start the car? Or will the presence of an unprogrammed one de-program my real key and leave me stranded?
In any case, I would like to acquire one of your spare fobs assuming the buttons all still work. Thank you. --Tom